OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kraken is basically just a power supply on steroids. So it can power a ton of things. If you are considering hydros you should check out their web site and you can compare what each product is capable of.
Me personally I started with the X4 pro pack. And here’s a tip…. If you order from @TopShelfAquatics you can get free overnight shipping, points for rewards to use towards coral or etc, and probably for a lower price after you factor in everything like taxes and freight.
I ended up getting the x4 pro pack….and will eventually get the x10 in the future….

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kraken is basically just a power supply on steroids. So it can power a ton of things. If you are considering hydros you should check out their web site and you can compare what each product is capable of.
Me personally I started with the X4 pro pack. And here’s a tip…. If you order from @TopShelfAquatics you can get free overnight shipping, points for rewards to use towards coral or etc, and probably for a lower price after you factor in everything like taxes and freight.
Not to mention the Kraken allows you to power your system with a deep cycle marine or standard lead acid battery as a backup. Significantly easier and cheaper protection then traditional battery backups from other manufactures.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had constant failures with mine. Went back to Apex and couldn’t be happier

To all other users reading this, I'm more than happy to answer any HYDROS questions directly and state that I am biased as a CoralVue/HYDROS employee.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention the Kraken allows you to power your system with a deep cycle marine or standard lead acid battery as a backup. Significantly easier and cheaper protection then traditional battery backups from other manufactures.
Yeah I saw that…but I have a generator so not to concerned, but that’s an awesome feature especially with the trickle charger.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I total get it. However, you might find that the overall cost of a system from a different brand favors Hydros. I went with 2 XP8s, and X10, the IV and a salinity probe. This was $1619.95. If I had gone with an apex I would have gone with an A3 Apex Pro, a trident and an extra eb832. $1925.97

I know these aren't exactly the same but they are comparable systems. No salinity monitoring with Apex, no ORP monitoring with Hydros, No Calcium and Magnesium monitoring with Hydros, No Dosing pump for automatic alk dosing with Hydros, ect.

On average I think Hydros is cheaper but that doesn't mean it is right for everyone. There are still some features I like better with Neptune. Most of them are software features that I hope Hydros will get in the future, but I like the new graduated LLS sensors a lot and will miss them.
You can monitor orp on hydros. It jas native support on the probe ports.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can monitor orp on hydros. It jas native support on the probe ports.
I understand, my point was not what you can and can't do with both ecosystems but what you can and can't do with the exact products I chose to compare. It is really hard to directly compare Hydros with another controller for price point because no two brands offer products with the same features but I think that if you look at the similar competing products in a full system then usually Hydros will be cheaper.

For example, if I were to compare a Control x3 starter pack to an Apex Jr. They both have the same price point but the features are not the same. Most people would want to add an energy bar to the Apex Jr. Which would make it more expensive.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, my point was not what you can and can't do with both ecosystems but what you can and can't do with the exact products I chose to compare. It is really hard to directly compare Hydros with another controller for price point because no two brands offer products with the same features but I think that if you look at the similar competing products in a full system then usually Hydros will be cheaper.

For example, if I were to compare a Control x3 starter pack to an Apex Jr. They both have the same price point but the features are not the same. Most people would want to add an energy bar to the Apex Jr. Which would make it more expensive.
Ohhhhh duh

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the X4 package to run their ato setup. I got rid of the wifi strip, purchased the X8 and haven’t had a problem with my hydros dropping off , updates easily and is a constant. My mp10s, skimmer, heater, rtn pump, fan, Ats and Ats light, ATO are all on this system. I was an Apex user, Hydros is easier for my setup. Very happy with the Hydros set up and collective.
Should’ve read XP8

realwizer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will add my experience here as well.

I have an Apex A3 Jr on one of my tanks, and a Hydros XT4 on another. I will be replacing the Apex soon with another Hydros, and expanding the XT4 to handle a nearby tank.

What I like about Hydros:
- Alerts and actions are easy to setup. You dont need to worry about programming, reading how-to's or watching videos to get something "simple" setup such as alarms on water level, etc.
- Alerts on phone/email are clear and do not have single line description limitations that Neptune does. When I get a Hydros alert, I instantly understand what is going on. Neptune is not always clear.
- Interface is more modern in my view. The iOS app is clear and simple. The way information presented is less "technical", such as a water level sensor being either wet/dry, vs on/off in Neptune. I think for most, this just makes more sense.
- Expansion is cheaper for most needs. And additional options such as wifi power bars instead of only expensive hardwired bars.
- Easy to see visually when an issue is occurring due to change in LED lights on unit.

Some things that Neptune does better:
- Additional modules that Hydros doesnt have yet (or ever?). Such as Lunar module, MXM module. If you were into controlling seasonal variations on lights and temp for coral spawning, this will be just Apex for now.
- Salinity probe is only on expensive Hydros XT10 right now. I think the system is much better with IV isolation, but the cost of entry is high.
- A larger user base for Neptune, although this doesnt mean better. Hydros is newer, and I think will continue to make up ground.

Each system has hardware failures, cons, and unhappy customers. There is always a risk with any hardware of getting a bad unit or failure out of warranty. In the end though, I based my decision off of using the systems in real world, and am very happy with Hydros.

Good luck in whatever you choose, I dont really think either is a wrong choice.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw that…but I have a generator so not to concerned, but that’s an awesome feature especially with the trickle charger.
The bad thing seems to happen when you ain't home, so unless you have auto-start and an ATS, that generator will equal the value of a turkey sandwich. But maybe you have a plan?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things that Neptune does better:
- Additional modules that Hydros doesnt have yet (or ever?). Such as Lunar module, MXM module. If you were into controlling seasonal variations on lights and temp for coral spawning, this will be just Apex for now.
There is no lunar light functions yet but you can control the main lighting with shorter days in the winter and longer days in the summer if you use the correct settings. I use the latitude variable light mode. In it you have to set the latitude and zenith. below is a screenshot of my settings. I also do not use daylight savings time so I chose El Salvador for my time zone since it matched but they do not have daylight savings time. The fish and corals don't seem to mind. It tracks pretty close to sunrise and sunset where I am at.

IMG_0422.png

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad thing seems to happen when you ain't home, so unless you have auto-start and an ATS, that generator will equal the value of a turkey sandwich. But maybe you have a plan?
I have someone home all the time….but like I said, eventually will get the x10.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 hydros collectives that are the brains of 370 gallons worth of reef tanks. I don't work in the fish industry and have no bias, ama.

I have several XS, X2s, XD, X10, X3, 6 wifi bars, a bunch of water sensors, 8 hydros dosers, an IV, and probably more I am forgetting. Hydros controls my heaters, 3 ATOs with water in a remote location, automatic water changes, etc. The only thing you shouldn't ask me about is alk testing with the X10 as I haven't gotten that far with it yet haha. On one of my tanks I plan to try out their alk testing without purchasing a second x10 because they recently enabled that function for the X4 and X3 as well!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_202655.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_202655.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 hydros collectives that are the brains of 370 gallons worth of reef tanks. I don't work in the fish industry and have no bias, ama.

I have several XS, X2s, XD, X10, X3, 6 wifi bars, a bunch of water sensors, 8 hydros dosers, an IV, and probably more I am forgetting. Hydros controls my heaters, 3 ATOs with water in a remote location, automatic water changes, etc. The only thing you shouldn't ask me about is alk testing with the X10 as I haven't gotten that far with it yet haha. On one of my tanks I plan to try out their alk testing without purchasing a second x10 because they recently enabled that function for the X4 and X3 as well!
So you can run an iV on a X4?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can run an iV on a X4?
Yes, but you still have to have three dosing pumps that can be controller by the Hydros. Two need to be precision pumps are the accuracy will not be as good. You will also need a free drive port and probe port for the stirrer and pH probe. You will also need a pH probe.

OP
OP
InactionJackson

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you still have to have three dosing pumps that can be controller by the Hydros. Two need to be precision pumps are the accuracy will not be as good. You will also need a free drive port and probe port for the stirrer and pH probe. You will also need a pH probe.
Ughh…forgot about the dosing pumps….

realwizer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the IV without the X10 will not give you salinity though. Sure you can run pH and use external dosing pumps, but I guess i’d ask… why?

The probe ports on XT4 will only give you pH or ORP.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using the IV without the X10 will not give you salinity though. Sure you can run pH and use external dosing pumps, but I guess i’d ask… why?

The probe ports on XT4 will only give you pH or ORP.
I don't care about salinity? I check mine once in a while and it doesn't drift, so why waste the money on a whole kit for this?

To my knowledge, no one has attempted to run alk on a non-X10 and I'm game to try it out. Worse case it isn't as good as other methods, best case it's just as good and cheaper than buying a whole second X10.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked up an X10, iV, kraken, XS, wave engine V2, XP8, and 4 plug wifi strip.

There has been some ups and downs with all of these but it is improving.

4 plug wifi strip, XS, and XP8 with no issues. I have a leak detector, temp, protein skimmer float valve (in a homemade overflow container that collects drainage from my reef octopus skimmer), and sump return chamber low water detector hooked up to the XS.

Wave engine V2 works but has strange wave schedules. I run my 2 maxspect XF 350 with it. It seems no matter what % I set it at, it tends to stay around 30-40%. I will likely reach out to coralvue soon for some assistance. So far they (usually Carlos) have been really responsive.

X10 with iV: working well so far. The pH probe seems really accurate. Issues are the salinity solution it came with to calibrate (35ppt and 28 ppt) seem off. Still trying to confirm but I may use a 35 ppt solution off amazon to calibrate instead. This likely throws off the alkalinity readings. It has only been 1 week and I have not started comparing to salifert yet but will do so soon. Once it is dialed in though I suspect I will love it. Great part is that only 3 of the dosing pumps on the X10 are needed to test pH, salinity, and alkalinity in the iV. That means the 4th can connect to soda ash and the coralvue software can titrate the soda ash dosing to stabilize the alkalinity level. Looking forward to that.

Kraken: I use it to run the wave engine/maxspects, 3 sump jebao pumps, my sump frag Redsea LED50 light, sump redsea reefwave25, and the X10. I hooked it up to a $40 amazon battery. It works well...ish. I ran a test with no issues. It ran both maxspect XF 350s in the display and a single jebao SOW4 in the sump at low power for hours. Oddly enough, the very next day I had an actual power outage. The kraken with battery ran the 3 pumps set to run at low power as it was supposed to. Once the power came back on though, there was an issue. It seems the outage made the kraken output all the 24v channels at 12v. It took me a while to realize that. The jebao pumps in the sump did not work at all. My maxspects (I use the kraken to power the wave engine V2 and thus the maxspects) ran at really low speeds. I had to unplug the kraken from the wall and from the battery to reset it. Seems better now but I will finish testing in the am. If that fixes it, then it is not the end of the world to have to reset it whenever there is a power outage. To have the piece of mind of the wave makers running off battery with any power outage is great. It gives me time to get home and setup the generator if needed.

I also setup an XS and 4 plug wifi plug in my garage tanks. I am having to return the XS due to a firmware issue but BRS and coralvue have been great to work with and will send out a replacement.

Overall I am very happy with the hydros system so far. Their support response is quick. The setup for each device is quick and intuitive. Once they are setup they work well with no issues thus far other than what I mentioned above. The app is great and easy to use. I also agree that the LED lights on the controllers look great. I will post pics and a video of my setup this weekend.

I'll try to remember to post an update once I work through some of the issues I mentioned. Happy reefing!

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care about salinity? I check mine once in a while and it doesn't drift, so why waste the money on a whole kit for this?

To my knowledge, no one has attempted to run alk on a non-X10 and I'm game to try it out. Worse case it isn't as good as other methods, best case it's just as good and cheaper than buying a whole second X10.
I have done the non-X10 iV. And run it against my x10. Testing precision isn’t as good as the x10 and values swing a little more but most of the time they are close. If you can afford slight loss of precision then it’s a very viable option. I have documented some of the things to be aware of and suggestions here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back