Hydros Question

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing. Had my tank up and running for 2 months. I have now been looking into getting a controller.

Hydros has appealed to be quite a bit from the looking/research I have been doing.

It was a toss up between Apex (ovbiously) and Hydros but I just keep going back to the Hydros as I feel (Don't shoot me) that the Apex is the "iPhone" of controllers and doesn't change too much. The one thing that I do like about Apex is the Trident. Is this going to be a big deal in the long run?

Change my mind or add your $.02 while I weigh out my decisions.

If I do pick Hydros, what one do you guys recommend? Again, new to reefing so I do not have a much of equipment yet (Skimmer, Dosers)

Thanks!

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with Hydros and GHL. I like the aspects of the ION once it comes out again. I will split the control of the pumps and wave makers with the Hydros and the dosing pumps and testers with the GHL. Finger crossed everything goes well. Its not set up yet, but my build thread will have it all documented.

Im not rich....Affirm is my friend.

OP
OP
C

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with Hydros and GHL. I like the aspects of the ION once it comes out again. I will split the control of the pumps and wave makers with the Hydros and the dosing pumps and testers with the GHL. Finger crossed everything goes well. Its not set up yet, but my build thread will have it all documented.

Im not rich....Affirm is my friend.
What Hydros do you plan on getting?

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is iPhone in that it doesn't change but that's about it. It's a polished product but I think it would be hard to argue hydros isn't easier to use.

There are lots of alkalinity test options coming out so I don't think you'll miss the trident. It's subjectively the worst one out even right now....

OP
OP
C

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is iPhone in that it doesn't change but that's about it. It's a polished product but I think it would be hard to argue hydros isn't easier to use.

There are lots of alkalinity test options coming out so I don't think you'll miss the trident. It's subjectively the worst one out even right now....
What alk tests options are coming out in the future?

Assuming I get the x3. I can later add on other controllers like the XP8, correct?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Assuming I get the x3. I can later add on other controllers like the XP8, correct?
Yes, when you have more than one you can start a collective. Once the controllers are in a collective they share all inputs and outputs. It is like it is one larger controller. They will need to be connected with each other via control buss cables. You will also need a couple of terminators so don't forget to get those when you get the second controller. I have 9 controllers in a collective. Click on my build thread contributor banner on one of my post and then go to page 7 to get to the Hydros stuff. I was using a Archon and slowly converted everything to the Hydros. I am impressed with the Hydros system. So far I have not found anything I cannot do with the Hydros that I was doing with the Archon.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kamoer alk tester, hydros diy alk tester / iV x10 situation thing, rumors of reef factory expanding to the US market.

big existing ones are trident, alkatronic, kh director, kh guardian.

if you want to diy hydros, you need 2 dosing pumps, 1 high precision dosing pump, and 1 free pH port. I wouldn't go this direction though as it won't be releasing for a while

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kamoer alk tester, hydros diy alk tester / iV x10 situation thing, rumors of reef factory expanding to the US market.

big existing ones are trident, alkatronic, kh director, kh guardian.

if you want to diy hydros, you need 2 dosing pumps, 1 high precision dosing pump, and 1 free pH port. I wouldn't go this direction though as it won't be releasing for a while
Don't forget the Alkatronic and Mastertronic will link to the Hydros so you can use the test to control things with the hydros.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
What Hydros do you plan on getting?
have the x4 for control and some extra sensors that came with it and wave engine lite for the flow. I also have the power block for the skimmer, bio pellet reactor, and the heaters.

I don't like single point of failure and I'm military so surplus is always a necessity not a hindrance.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who knows nothing about the hydros I will only comment on the apex. It was a little frustrating learning how to use it but once I figured it out it is extremely easy and I was disappointed in myself for getting as frustrated as I did.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wanted to chime in as well to offer some help! HYDROS is always coming out and developing new things! At MACNA, 2 weeks ago we announced 3 NEW Controllers and the HYDROS iV. When these controllers are released, the Alk Testing software will be released as well within the app. So if you have a pH probe handy, we can facilitate Alk Tests in the HYDROS iV or a DIY beaker!

And for the second question, If you get the X3, can you add on say an XP8 later, of course!! That is the glory of HYDROS, you can start with ANY of the HYDROS Controls and add on later on. Each device continues to compliment eachother and creates a HYDROS Collective, rather than coming out with replacements/obsolescence. Just pick up a command bus cable so the two devices can talk to each other, and command bus terminators if you dont already have the max of 2.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing. Had my tank up and running for 2 months. I have now been looking into getting a controller.

Hydros has appealed to be quite a bit from the looking/research I have been doing.

It was a toss up between Apex (ovbiously) and Hydros but I just keep going back to the Hydros as I feel (Don't shoot me) that the Apex is the "iPhone" of controllers and doesn't change too much. The one thing that I do like about Apex is the Trident. Is this going to be a big deal in the long run?

Change my mind or add your $.02 while I weigh out my decisions.

If I do pick Hydros, what one do you guys recommend? Again, new to reefing so I do not have a much of equipment yet (Skimmer, Dosers)

Thanks!
I have been using Apex since starting reefing but have slowly switched over my systems to Hydros over the last year or so. Personally I like the redundancy that Hydros offers when you keep adding additional Controls to your "collective". Each unit is a brain itself and a failure in one can be carried partially by the other units until you get it replaced, if the brain in apex fails, you are in hot water since everything will go down. That one fact lead me to keep a $350 brain on hand incase something happened, which was a waste of money since it just sat there until I needed it.

As for what option to go with, i prefer recommending 2 options.
1) Intro Monitor only - If you just want just a way to monitor pH, monitor temperature, and monitor for leaks, get the $299 X3 Monitor Pack. Good starting point if you just want to be alerted of an issue
2) If you want to fully monitor and control, I always recommend the X4 Pro Pack for $650. This gives you the full up X4 controller plus hard wired outlets on the XP8 with power monitoring. Plus it has 2 brains (X4 and XP8) for redundancy. Personally this is the best option for all newbies since it has alot for the money. Then you can always add on after.

OP
OP
C

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Apex since starting reefing but have slowly switched over my systems to Hydros over the last year or so. Personally I like the redundancy that Hydros offers when you keep adding additional Controls to your "collective". Each unit is a brain itself and a failure in one can be carried partially by the other units until you get it replaced, if the brain in apex fails, you are in hot water since everything will go down. That one fact lead me to keep a $350 brain on hand incase something happened, which was a waste of money since it just sat there until I needed it.

As for what option to go with, i prefer recommending 2 options.
1) Intro Monitor only - If you just want just a way to monitor pH, monitor temperature, and monitor for leaks, get the $299 X3 Monitor Pack. Good starting point if you just want to be alerted of an issue
2) If you want to fully monitor and control, I always recommend the X4 Pro Pack for $650. This gives you the full up X4 controller plus hard wired outlets on the XP8 with power monitoring. Plus it has 2 brains (X4 and XP8) for redundancy. Personally this is the best option for all newbies since it has alot for the money. Then you can always add on after.
Sorry for the dumb question... what "More control and monitoring" does the X4 pro pack over x3?

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the dumb question... what "More control and monitoring" does the X4 pro pack over x3?
Here is a good comparison chart between the 2, ignore the first 2 controllers:
Source: https://www.coralvuehydros.com/control/

1664549674223.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X3 only has 1 probe port for either pH or ORP and only 2 sense ports. The temp sensor will use one of them. That only leaves you with one sense port and if you want ATO that will use that up and you will have no more inputs without adding another controller with inputs. Also i would not do ATO from a wifi strip so that would mean a XP8 for a wired output since the X3 itself has no outputs. The X4 has 2 probe ports for either pH or ORP probes. It has 4 sense ports and one will be used for the temp sensor. That leave 3 for other devices. There is also 4 0-10v inputs that can be used for various things. There are a couple of third party switch boxes and breakout boxes that can be used with these. Now for outputs. The X4 has 2 drive ports which can be used with the Hydros ATO pumps, Hydros dosing pumps and Hydros solenoids. It is a 12v output which can output up to 1 amp on a single output or with both running 1.5v. Then there is the 4 0-10v outputs that can control lighting and pumps that have a 0-10v control input. So you won't have to add another controller as soon as you would with a X3.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I disagree I think the hydros is way harder . It took my a minute to figure out how to use a skimmer overflow sensor when the skimmer was hooked up toa wave engine and I take care of all the apex controllers at algaebarn an I have some pretty complex setups there

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree I think the hydros is way harder . It took my a minute to figure out how to use a skimmer overflow sensor when the skimmer was hooked up toa wave engine and I take care of all the apex controllers at algaebarn an I have some pretty complex setups there
Hydros takes a different approach to configuring. Coming from apex myself it def took me awhile to understand hydros. But it’s a more intuitive system for people just starting out.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came from Digital Aquatics controllers and Hydros was a piece of cake to pick up on. Then again I am good at gate logic which is mostly how you do advanced things with the Hydros. I was refilling my storage tank using m RODI before they release the RODI filter output. Below is a schematic of my Hydros outputs represented as gates here. When the DI low sensor goes dry it turns on the DI fill output. The DI latch output will stay on as long as DI fill is on since it is a OR gate. On OR gates if any input is high or on in this case it is high or on. So when DI low goes wet DI latch will keep DI fill on since the output of DI fill is high and is a input on DI latch which keeps it on. Until DI full goes wet. Since that is inverted DI fill has a High when it is dry. Di fill is an AND gate which means all inputs have to be high or on in this case for it to be on. So when DI full goes wet that input on DI fill goes low causing it to turn off which also turns off DI latch. DI latch will then stay off until DI low turns back on which happens when DI low sensor is dry. That is easy for me to come up with since I used to make circuits using gate logic.

61A3DB92-75C6-4637-B234-03D6194D9C06.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back