Hydros WaveEngine Users

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most, if not all of the #reefoctopus Regal and Elite skimmers will run off from the #WaveEngine. What skimmer do you currently have?
I've been researching getting this with Control 4 and when you say will run off the wave engine you mean just control it as I am assuming I would still need to plug in power since using the 0-10v port

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been researching getting this with Control 4 and when you say will run off the wave engine you mean just control it as I am assuming I would still need to plug in power since using the 0-10v port

Yes, that is my understanding.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would contact [email protected] to be sure. You can ask if any models can be direct connected (power and control) vs. just 0-10V control. I have a vague recollection that some may be able to direct connect, but they didn't recommend it for some reason (I could be wrong here, don't quote me on this). If true, I don't have know if that's a hardware issue or merely a software issue that could be remedied in a future update. But I would ask any and all questions you have because our tech team will know the answers. The WaveEngine was designed to be a multi flow pump controller. But I find on the forums that a lot of people are using it for cord consolidation. If reducing cord and power brick clutter is what you're after, please let them know because it's good for our engineers and developers to understand what your goals are and how you intend to use it so we can make do our best to make everyone happy.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I believe those skimmers use the VarioS pumps which can be directly hooked up to the WaveEngine and not use the pumps power supply.

If you hook them up 0-10v you still need the pumps power supply hooked up to a outlet. 0-10v just gives you control.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact [email protected] to be sure. You can ask if any models can be direct connected (power and control) vs. just 0-10V control. I have a vague recollection that some may be able to direct connect, but they didn't recommend it for some reason (I could be wrong here, don't quote me on this). If true, I don't have know if that's a hardware issue or merely a software issue that could be remedied in a future update. But I would ask any and all questions you have because our tech team will know the answers. The WaveEngine was designed to be a multi flow pump controller. But I find on the forums that a lot of people are using it for cord consolidation. If reducing cord and power brick clutter is what you're after, please let them know because it's good for our engineers and developers to understand what your goals are and how you intend to use it so we can make do our best to make everyone happy.
Yeah thats exactly what I am after is to consolidate as much as possible so at this point I use Apex along with 3 bricks so would be amazing to get control4+control2 and a wave engine I would be consolidating alot and end up not needing a whole lot of wifi power strips.

Thanks,
Dave

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also I see that the regal skimmer I was looking at uses VarioS 4 pinwheel So I am assuming this would work right through direct connect for power and control.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah thats exactly what I am after is to consolidate as much as possible so at this point I use Apex along with 3 bricks so would be amazing to get control4+control2 and a wave engine I would be consolidating alot and end up not needing a whole lot of wifi power strips.

Thanks,
Dave

A WaveEngine can power a Control 2 or 4 eliminating another cord.

In this picture my WE is powering the Control 4.
On the left you can see the Control 4 power supply hook up just siting there not hooked up.
1603915849104.png

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, super happy I bought it and will be why I buy a Control4 in the future. Wrote a longer opinion on it a while back using 2 xf250s

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, but I do use the battery backup for my two MP40's, just need something for the gyres. You?
I run all Tunze 6095s. I have one on a safety connector with a 12v 18ah. I've been looking into the WaveEngine.

I know it supports a low power mode with the icecap battery backup. I'm hoping there's a way to make a diy work the same.

What's been your experience so far with the WaveEngine? Happy with the flow patterns you can achieve?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run all Tunze 6095s. I have one on a safety connector with a 12v 18ah. I've been looking into the WaveEngine.

I know it supports a low power mode with the icecap battery backup. I'm hoping there's a way to make a diy work the same.

What's been your experience so far with the WaveEngine? Happy with the flow patterns you can achieve?
Cool. Yeah, I really like it overall, but it would be nice to get a little more control over the wave patterns. But, admittedly, I haven't dug deep enough to really edit some patterns more. I do use a couple different patterns throughout the day, but stick to the sps reef mostly during the day and lagoon at night. I'm in the middle of a reboot of my main tank, so when I get everything put back together, I'm going to dig a little deeper, as I want to have longer pulses on one side, the switch sides, while the other is doing something different. It would be nice to get more control over the vortechs overall.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Yeah, I really like it overall, but it would be nice to get a little more control over the wave patterns. But, admittedly, I haven't dug deep enough to really edit some patterns more. I do use a couple different patterns throughout the day, but stick to the sps reef mostly during the day and lagoon at night. I'm in the middle of a reboot of my main tank, so when I get everything put back together, I'm going to dig a little deeper, as I want to have longer pulses on one side, the switch sides, while the other is doing something different. It would be nice to get more control over the vortechs overall.
Had 2 Nero 3s and 2 MP10s before I switched to three 6095s. Love my Tunze, but I do miss the scheduled control. I have noticed little things like my crabs aren't as active with the constant higher flow. I used to have scheduled hours of lower flow and short 15-30 min periods of 100% nutrient export for example.

I'll keep an eye on your build thread. We have similar cubes, mine being 30x30x18. You're making me wish I had gone 36. I have found the 6095s to work exceptionally well. I think being able to aim your pumps is more important in a cube. I could see gyres working well too.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had 2 Nero 3s and 2 MP10s before I switched to three 6095s. Love my Tunze, but I do miss the scheduled control. I have noticed little things like my crabs aren't as active with the constant higher flow. I used to have scheduled hours of lower flow and short 15-30 min periods of 100% nutrient export for example.

I'll keep an eye on your build thread. We have similar cubes, mine being 30x30x18. You're making me wish I had gone 36. I have found the 6095s to work exceptionally well. I think being able to aim your pumps is more important in a cube. I could see gyres working well too.
Thanks! I hope to get things rolling again soon, just trying to wrap up work. I have two 6040's in my nano, which will be controlled via a Hydros X4, so I'll see what I can do with them? If Tunze made a slightly smaller version of the stream 3 that was in between the 6040 and stream 3, I would be all over it. I think Tunze's are one of the best pumps made, just wished they had a smaller profile, but their longevity is second to none.
When I first created a daily profile/schedule for the wave engine, I would break each hour up with either a 10 minute or 15 minute intense flow schedule, which I really liked. I think another miss on most people's flow schedule is taking advantage of fish tucked in at night, which you can really crank up the flow to kick up detritus and get it removed by your skimmer and/or socks or mechanical filtration.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hope to get things rolling again soon, just trying to wrap up work. I have two 6040's in my nano, which will be controlled via a Hydros X4, so I'll see what I can do with them? If Tunze made a slightly smaller version of the stream 3 that was in between the 6040 and stream 3, I would be all over it. I think Tunze's are one of the best pumps made, just wished they had a smaller profile, but their longevity is second to none.
When I first created a daily profile/schedule for the wave engine, I would break each hour up with either a 10 minute or 15 minute intense flow schedule, which I really liked. I think another miss on most people's flow schedule is taking advantage of fish tucked in at night, which you can really crank up the flow to kick up detritus and get it removed by your skimmer and/or socks or mechanical filtration.
They are pretty bulky and a little/maybe a lot unsightly. I don't mind them much as they're all on the back. I have a wavebox too, which is about as big and bulky as it gets.

AM-JKLWbPykobKXQpXaBnMhy9XqPAk20XF13MEj4qL9XhNUg_HUt25wnbunkLi9KbrD6ifmK48SEnkBjGwV_Q5HSHEd3vAH7YoFoLPvI7Guwd1okRSvAXLBkutcC_dTVrzOW--lAnUzWuCog_x4UizjNlbALMg=w1719-h967-no

I never really thought about fish being tucked in. That's a good point you bring up. Strong argument to increase flow at night.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back