I am devistated

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Oliver d, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Albert Cancel

Albert Cancel New Member

Sorry for you lost. I know the felling of having to start all over.

2. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Oh I am so so sorry. I can't even imagine!

3. CindyKz

CindyKz Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear. I would be devastated too.

4. n21benson

n21benson Member

I'm so sorry for your loss ...

5. Newb73

Newb73 Valuable Member Partner Member 2018

I don't kmow if it would have been able to oxidize the poison fast enough, but this seems like a cautionary tale in favor of keeping ozone running and a GAC reactor up and running at all times....but probably more of a story about keeping rhe Windows closed.

Be that as it may, his actions allowed a demonstrable amount of toxic poison into your home.

I should think, very legitimate legal grounds for a law suit.

He could have just as easily fumigated a newborn child in the process and may very well have also exposed your family and pets.

I see $$$$$$

6. Snuggs

Snuggs Member

I am so sorry, I can’t imagine how hard this is for you.

7. 60squared

60squared Active Member

I'd be ******

8. 60squared

60squared Active Member

I'd be so ******. sorry man.

9. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Active Member

@Oliver d what are the legalities in Abu Dahbi regarding "suing" people over these types of situations? Modernized UAE legal system, but just not sure how this scenario would hold up in a legal case.

Many people in this thread are making assumptions, and have no idea what their courts would or would not even take into consideration. For all I know they would not consider such a case even at the local / civil level. So unless anyone knows the absolute intricacies of the law there, most of these recommendations may not even apply because it would not render a reasonable case.

Totally not a serious comment; but for all we know the OP is currently beating his neighbor with a bat and it is perfectly fine...

Fudsey likes this.
  10. Newb73

Newb73 Valuable Member Partner Member 2018

Honor beating????

11. Tarlon

Tarlon Member

May be it was a product like "Ortho home defense".

Here are some warnings, I stopped to using it after reading this:

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS:
    This product is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates.
    To protect the environment,
    do not allow pesticide to enter or run o into storm drains,
    drainage ditches, gutters or surface waters. Applying this
    product in calm weather when rain is not predicted for the
    next 24 hours will help to ensure that wind or rain does not
    blow or wash pesticide o the treatment area.

12. ectoaesthetics

ectoaesthetics Member

I’m so sorry man!! That is awful, I can’t even imagine how I would react to walking into that.

While I too think I would blame myself for leaving the windows open there was no way for you guys that know that copious quantities of pesticides were going to waft in that day.

13. RudyB

RudyB Active Member

I am sorry for your loss. But that would mean that the spray got in your window. That is careless of the company to over spray into your house. If I where you I would go after them. Take lots of pictures.

14. MnFish1

MnFish1 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Here is an interesting article. www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/5/aafeature3
    Would be interesting to know the size of the tank etc. and how the windows/buildings were in relation to the neighbors house. Something doesn't make sense - if they were 'fumigating' the other house, the windows would be closed in that house (otherwise it wouldn't work). So any gas concentration from the window would have to be extremely low - in the OP's house.

In any case - many sympathies at the loss of your aquarium. Though its not your neighbors job to tell you to close your windows, I think its pretty common for neighbors to tell each other when they are doing this kind of thing.

Jeepguy242 likes this.
  15. 03864reefer

03864reefer Member

Sorry for your pain... However.. calling the neighbor "stupid" is just not right. Honestly do you expect him to ask your permission and approval? Do you expect him to protect your investments? Fact is, your responsible for your tanks environment.
    The good news is,, you can start fresh and pure. Sucks that you have to, but an awesome opportunity if you look at it with a positive ring! Good luck.

Jeepguy242 likes this.
  16. Robert G

Robert G Member

I totally feel for you and your loss 3 months ago I came home to a flooded house and a reef tank that was turned freshwater. I lost all but a carpet anemone and 2 maroon clowns. Thanks to having an awesome reef community here in Albuquerque. I was able to rebuild and restock at a very minimal cost. Try letting everyone know what happened and I'm sure there be some good people who have some frags or fish you can have. If not I'd be happy to send some.

17. coralcruze

coralcruze Active Member

I am sorry to hear of this... but the more serious question is if they are using such insecticides without regulatory compliance of any kind and it whipped out a reef tank. Imagine what their actions do for the reefs in the red sea. :mad:

18. MnFish1

MnFish1 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is why it doesn't make sense. - think about the human beings supposedly exposed to this. It is as likely that something else happened to the tank as compared to the neigghbor's fumigation. No offense to the OP. It amazes me that you're talking about the Red Sea when there are humans living much closer to this 'event' than the Red Sea....

coralcruze likes this.
  19. coralcruze

coralcruze Active Member

@MnFish1
    First, allow me to correct... I meant the "Persian Gulf" not the Red Sea. ;)

Having said that, of course I am concerned about the people. BUT... it is the PEOPLE there causing this and the OP even said that there are no regulations like there is in Europe or the USA against stopping or punishing such a crime. The OP is from Abu Dhabi which is responsible for massive irresponsible waterfront development in the region and an all out destruction of the reef in the Gulf. https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/damage-to-gulf-s-coral-reefs-is-irreversible-1.516972

If interested read the following of just one such waterfront project with irreversible damage to the entire region. Read about the "Palms Resort" is but one of many such examples.
    https://news.mongabay.com/2005/08/dubais-artificial-islands-have-high-environmental-cost/

I'm sorry but those are oxygen producing animals... Oxygen that you and I breath and need. Not trying to sound dramatic here but its a fact. Sure just as bad or perhaps worse than deforestation in the amazon because these are animals being killed but yeah the end result is the same. We all suffer here... Keep in mind we are talking about the richest per capita region in the world an average of $130K per person and largest envelopment and real estate environmental impact in history and they don't even have regulation against such an occurrence as the OP described??? really?

So yeah unless you live in Abu Dhabi or the nearby region, there is little we can do to affect any change. However, the OP should take a long hard look at exactly why this occurred and work to effect such a change. There are serious issues here. However, there is something we can all do which is to work towards completely abandoning our dependency on fossil fuels and drastically reducing our carbon footprint so we dont support such development and destruction.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    reefanova likes this.
  20. MnFish1

All I meant was that there may be another cause for his tank's problem. Forgive me but I do not believe that it is allowed to release poisonous gases into neighborhoods in any country. In fact there are laws about this: gulfnews.com/news/uae/general/pesticide-control-12-things-you-need-to-know-1.1209229. What we dont know is if the laws weren't followed etc. In any case - IMHO, it would be nice for the OP to find out what 'chemical' was used and whether it really was applied 'improperly'. That would help the rest of us as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted