I am devistated

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1
First, allow me to correct... I meant the "Persian Gulf" not the Red Sea. ;)

Having said that, of course I am concerned about the people. BUT... it is the PEOPLE there causing this and the OP even said that there are no regulations like there is in Europe or the USA against stopping or punishing such a crime. The OP is from Abu Dhabi which is responsible for massive irresponsible waterfront development in the region and an all out destruction of the reef in the Gulf. https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/damage-to-gulf-s-coral-reefs-is-irreversible-1.516972

If interested read the following of just one such waterfront project with irreversible damage to the entire region. Read about the "Palms Resort" is but one of many such examples.
https://news.mongabay.com/2005/08/dubais-artificial-islands-have-high-environmental-cost/

I'm sorry but those are oxygen producing animals... Oxygen that you and I breath and need. Not trying to sound dramatic here but its a fact. Sure just as bad or perhaps worse than deforestation in the amazon because these are animals being killed but yeah the end result is the same. We all suffer here... Keep in mind we are talking about the richest per capita region in the world an average of $130K per person and largest envelopment and real estate environmental impact in history and they don't even have regulation against such an occurrence as the OP described??? really?

So yeah unless you live in Abu Dhabi or the nearby region, there is little we can do to affect any change. However, the OP should take a long hard look at exactly why this occurred and work to effect such a change. There are serious issues here. However, there is something we can all do which is to work towards completely abandoning our dependency on fossil fuels and drastically reducing our carbon footprint so we dont support such development and destruction.

Yeah. That's a bit much for this thread, I think.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg, I never even thought of the possibility of things like that. That is so devastating. So sorry to hear this..

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That must be some heavy duty stuff. I've set off bug bombs in one of my old houses before and all I put over the tank was a towel and no problems. Condolences for your loss aesthetically, personally and financially.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me but I do not believe that it is allowed to release poisonous gases into neighborhoods in any country.

you'd be surprised... even if there are laws in place against such an occurrence. what good are laws when the countries lam makers ignore it?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you'd be surprised... even if there are laws in place against such an occurrence. what good are laws when the countries lam makers ignore it?

Not sure what laws you're talking about - Im talking about people not being allowed to fumigate their property 'improperly' and putting other people in the neighborhood at risk. There is nothing that I've seen that these laws aren't enforced.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can point fingers anywhere, no country is innocent.

@ mr. Potatohead :D sorry i have to lol but i am not disagreeing with you... you are correct no country is innocent. what i am referring to however is the >blatant disregard<for the environment. i am not pointing fingers but there are countries that blatantly ignore environmental conditions to build on coastlines that intrude on wildlife and the natural aquifer.

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what laws you're talking about - Im talking about people not being allowed to fumigate their property 'improperly' and putting other people in the neighborhood at risk. There is nothing that I've seen that these laws aren't enforced.

Problem is, the OP's not in the US and I highly doubt they have as stringent laws governing pesticides as the US does. And we all know the US' laws on pesticides isn't all that great either

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, that’s hard to swallow man. Shouldn’t the people applying that stuff be sure that overspray and crass contamination doesn’t occur?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss, people should inform when they do that, I hope you can re-start.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Problem is, the OP's not in the US and I highly doubt they have as stringent laws governing pesticides as the US does. And we all know the US' laws on pesticides isn't all that great either
Well I posted the laws from the United Arab Emirates in my post. So. I don’t know either but it’s also not clear that his neighbor caused the problem

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is horrible and how do you know or plan for such event? I keep my house literally airtight as I use heat or A/c year round. Occassionally in nice weather leaving my patio door open with screen closed during spring and fall.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back