I GOT A GEM TANG!!!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be, but doesn’t look that way to me. I’ve gotten blemishes from them before and I’ve never gotten a fish with later like erosion. And if he does have it, I still don’t really care. I’m confident I can reduce stress enough for him to live a long life!
I don't know if the scars will heal. It's a beautiful fish for sure. Just pointing out to another what the blemish was on this fish. Now if the HLLE will progress, I don't know. It can be stopped. But some scars just remain.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, super cool fish (I love tangs) but that's a lot of cash :) I guess it doesn't sting as bad since you paid for it with money you were owed lol. I saw a $1000 black tang at the LFS... no way! I would be up all night checking on it lol.
I was up at 1 am every night for a week when I got my ribbon eel. I was going to be violently angry if that dumb eel died. Part of the reason I decided to get the gem tang was because it’s easier to meet the needs of one medium difficulty fish then a lot of little different fish.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the scars will heal. It's a beautiful fish for sure. Just pointing out to another what the blemish was on this fish. Now if the HLLE will progress, I don't know. It can be stopped. But some scars just remain.
It is a pretty fish! I doubt the scars will heal, but as long it doesn’t progress I’ll be very happy. It’s going into a super nice tank so all I can do is hope!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i've tried to figure out why so many angelfish and tangs are being shipped in with HLLE. It's very common to see these days. is it copper or carbon tearing these fish up?

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've tried to figure out why so many angelfish and tangs are being shipped in with HLLE. It's very common to see these days. is it copper or carbon tearing these fish up?
I’ve noticed the same, especially with angels. I recently got a watanabei angelfish with HLLE and I was able to get him to a place where it seemed like it wasn’t getting any worse. But then I went out of town for a week or so and it died, very unhappy abt that.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed the same, especially with angels. I recently got a watanabei angelfish with HLLE and I was able to get him to a place where it seemed like it wasn’t getting any worse. But then I went out of town for a week or so and it died, very unhappy abt that.

With a good diet it will probably leave very few scars, macro algae (not cheato) and nori with garlic attached to some rubble in the mix.
My little one inch rescue that wasn't eating, if she swam into your hand now she would leave a dent!
Her scars are about as healed as they will ever be, my daughter calls her the "punk" fish. ;)

DSC_0008 (1024x747).jpg

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got him in today! Seems healthy enough, let’s hope he makes it through qt! Cheers yall!

Attachments

• 084C5B5E-081F-41D7-A307-B586332D180E.jpeg
    084C5B5E-081F-41D7-A307-B586332D180E.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 79
  • F6113B0E-AB03-4BCE-820B-280B55188F8F.jpeg
    F6113B0E-AB03-4BCE-820B-280B55188F8F.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a good diet it will probably leave very few scars, macro algae (not cheato) and nori with garlic attached to some rubble in the mix.
My little one inch rescue that wasn't eating, if she swam into your hand now she would leave a dent!
Her scars are about as healed as they will ever be, my daughter calls her the "punk" fish. ;)

DSC_0008 (1024x747).jpg
5 days, some nori, and some tdo chromaboost later, scars are nowhere to be seen!
image.jpg

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes we do, check out our website. if you have an questions let me know
Can you get groups of conditioned anthias, I’m trying to get three carberryi and three Bartlett’s? I can qt fish in my own garage but ide love to still support you by getting all of them from you! Cheers!

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your gem tang doing?? I just picked one up myself a few days ago.. im so paranoid I've had tangs before but nothing like this.. I been feeding him brine with sperolina. He's a small juvenile. What are you feeding yours ? Any advice you can give?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your gem tang doing?? I just picked one up myself a few days ago.. im so paranoid I've had tangs before but nothing like this.. I been feeding him brine with sperolina. He's a small juvenile. What are you feeding yours ? Any advice you can give?
IMO, gem tangs are the easiest of the large tangs. While yes there are some relatively easy Acanthurus tangs (Olivasceus, Tennetti, Pyroferus/Chronixis/Tristis ect..) I think the easiest of the Zebrasomas are the Gemmatum, Flavescens and Xanthurum. be warned, in a matter of time these fish can reach close to 1 foot (Often staying around 8-9” but can reach 10”+). These fish aren’t as bad of an ich magnet as other tangs of different genera (Acanthurus is the worst for ich). I have never owned a personal gem tang but have kept several gems alive in the LFS I worked in. They are very easy compared to the price tag, if fed algae (I find these guys are best when it comes to Hair Algae and Nori) and frozen they’ll do just fine. I have never had one of these fish go on hunger strikes (I think I kept 5 alive for 4 months and they’re still thriving in other peoples fish tanks to this day) unlike the Achilles where there was always Atleast one that went on a hunger strike but then went back to eating within the next week.
Your gem looks VERY healthy, I would try to get some hair algae growing so that it can always graze in a more natural way (My C. binotatus has short hair algae on the back wall of my tank to constantly graze on and he grazes on it all day, I do this with both tanks and, all of my algae grazers love it - Magnificent Foxface, Twinspot Bristletooth Tang and a Lineatus Blenny). If you want to mix Zebrasoma tangs I would get the gem in first then do another two at the same time. I hope this helped and I hope you and your tang have a lovely time!!

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, gem tangs are the easiest of the large tangs. While yes there are some relatively easy Acanthurus tangs (Olivasceus, Tennetti, Pyroferus/Chronixis/Tristis ect..) I think the easiest of the Zebrasomas are the Gemmatum, Flavescens and Xanthurum. be warned, in a matter of time these fish can reach close to 1 foot (Often staying around 8-9” but can reach 10”+). These fish aren’t as bad of an ich magnet as other tangs of different genera (Acanthurus is the worst for ich). I have never owned a personal gem tang but have kept several gems alive in the LFS I worked in. They are very easy compared to the price tag, if fed algae (I find these guys are best when it comes to Hair Algae and Nori) and frozen they’ll do just fine. I have never had one of these fish go on hunger strikes (I think I kept 5 alive for 4 months and they’re still thriving in other peoples fish tanks to this day) unlike the Achilles where there was always Atleast one that went on a hunger strike but then went back to eating within the next week.
Your gem looks VERY healthy, I would try to get some hair algae growing so that it can always graze in a more natural way (My C. binotatus has short hair algae on the back wall of my tank to constantly graze on and he grazes on it all day, I do this with both tanks and, all of my algae grazers love it - Magnificent Foxface, Twinspot Bristletooth Tang and a Lineatus Blenny). If you want to mix Zebrasoma tangs I would get the gem in first then do another two at the same time. I hope this helped and I hope you and your tang have a lovely time!!
Thank you for the information.. I appreciate it. Hair algae might be a problem for me in the future. The tank he is in now is going to be a sps reef.. I must keep nutrients low as possible. So this is going to be a challenge. I'm completely aware. I definitely will use nori. I've had purple tangs and a big healthy chevron tang in My sps reef and they did fine. But a gem tang.. I always thought they were more delicate. I have cheato in my fuge.. is it true I can feed the gem tang cheato right out of my sump? Will all tangs ear cheato? Do you have any other advice for feeding.. also I plan on adding a wrasse or two and a watchman goby.. maybe a tail spot blenny..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back