I GOT FISH EGGS!! Maybe Anthias??

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title says, I found some fish eggs under a rock and I’m stoked!!! I know the possibility of actually raising these eggs is next to none but I just want to know what you guys think they are and if it’s even worth trying to raise. I’m not sure how long ago they’ve been laid so hopefully they’re still there when I get home from work.

Currently the fish/inverts that like to live under this rock are:
-4 Dispar Anthias
-2 Fire shrimp
-1 Pencil Urchin

I’m pretty sure the eggs must be from the anthias unless anthias spawn in the water column?? Any info or suggestions are appreciated!

91600F1C-F72D-444F-87CD-E19F2B81B98F.jpeg
D7B50DD7-0ECD-4DA4-B291-5C7F6D2CD56F.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo! Congrats! Anytime anything other than aptasia or majanos spawn it's a sign of a healthy system. As far as what type of eggs I'm unsure, maybe a #reefsquad member is familiar with anthias eggs and can confirm ;)

OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! So currently in my system I have the following fish:
-1 kole tang
-1 little baby convict tang
-1 royal gramma
-1 azure damsel
-4 dispar anthias

I dont want to attempt to remove these eggs if its not worth the time. The eggs are attached to one of the rocks that are the base of an island, so taking the rock out to remove the eggs is gonna be a pain for sure! If I just leave them, they'll probably go down the overflow right? Should I remove my filter socks in hopes it settles out in my sump?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! So currently in my system I have the following fish:
-1 kole tang
-1 little baby convict tang
-1 royal gramma
-1 azure damsel
-4 dispar anthias

I dont want to attempt to remove these eggs if its not worth the time. The eggs are attached to one of the rocks that are the base of an island, so taking the rock out to remove the eggs is gonna be a pain for sure! If I just leave them, they'll probably go down the overflow right? Should I remove my filter socks in hopes it settles out in my sump?
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure the eggs must be from the anthias unless anthias spawn in the water column?? Any info or suggestions are appreciated!

Unfortunately - as far as I know, Anthias mates in the open water. I myself have witnessed the spawn of Anthias in a big shark tank. It is fascinating - the male picks out a three-dimensional fictional territory in the open water, Defence it and try to get females into this moving territory. However - it was not dispar anthias.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info @Lasse!

So bad news everyone... when I got home from work yesterday, the eggs were gone. I guess it will forever be a mystery, I really don't know which fish those eggs were from!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back