OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got it figured out. I was going to recommend the fijicube overflow box that you ended up getting!

I have the same one on my 40b and it's pretty awesome
Yeah, I'm really happy I redid the tank now while it's just new. The overflow works flawlessly. I can easily match the flow with wherever I set my pump. Three thumbs up.

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has been back up for a while and I couldn't resist picking up a new coral. I know I should wait be yeah, you know how that goes. It's an Alviopora. I used to have one many years ago. I did a dip and stuck it in. It seems pretty happy now and I can see it grab food particles when I feed the fish. Looks like a bunch of hands reaching up. Weird. I love this stuff.

IMG_5460.jpg

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks for asking kind sir. The tank has been fine and is mostly the same. I have a few new critters

OG
Alviopora - doing well and growing
Leather - doing well and I did not notice the growth until I looked at the original pics. Actually grew well.
Torch - doing well and I think it is growing.
Clowns - weird as always :)
Cleaner shrimp - growth slowed down. Keeps getting berried up then drops the eggs.

New
A Dalmatian Molly that I converted to full salt water. It turned totally black with little blue specs... Weird
Frag 1 - no clue what it is. Some kind of green encrusting stuff that has these little orange dots. Very pretty
Frag 2 - again, no clue what it is. Blue with greenish polyps.
I'll try to get some better pics of the frags. Maybe someone knows what the heck they are.

The Molly looked like this when I bought it (not my pic)

1620166627526.png

and you can see what it looks like now in this video

I still get diatoms and a bit of cyano. Can't seem to grow coraline algae either. I did start with all dry rock though so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update. RIP Alviopora, green with red dot frag, clownfish, molly and probably torch. First clown somehow got into the overflow and stuck in the gate valve. Second clown just went carpet surfing and I found him too late. I have a different thread to try and ID if I have dinos. I think that may be what is killing the coral. Sometime I think I should just take it down.

Johnboy3886

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. The harder it gets the better it feels when you turn it around. We all go threw it. Keep your head up. I just got home to find a frogspawn frag bailing out. Last week is was stoked because it has 2 baby heads. Do the best you can, don’t over react, and be patient. You will figure it out

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. The harder it gets the better it feels when you turn it around. We all go threw it. Keep your head up. I just got home to find a frogspawn frag bailing out. Last week is was stoked because it has 2 baby heads. Do the best you can, don’t over react, and be patient. You will figure it out
Thanks man. With help from some fine people here, I have a plan to move forward and hopefully kill this crap. I hope your frogspawn makes it. I hate when you see something all the sudden start going south. Good luck!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear Mike. I have had losses too but mostly from bringing home diseased fish. I had one clown tile surf. Got a lid after that. I made one from a Walmart window frame kit and ordered the mesh from BRS. Easy to put together.
On the dinos, had that also. I turned off the red and green lights, lowered the rest for several days and then ramped them back up. I turned off the skimmer at times and siphoned and scrubbed with the water changes. It has worked. Hang in there.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos with my 40B (not my current tank). The old 40B had developed a crack on the black frame. So after getting a new tank which wasn't easy last year due to covid supplies, I decided to bleach some of my rocks and I order some ocean cured rocks from KP Aquatics. Good luck!

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos with my 40B (not my current tank). The old 40B had developed a crack on the black frame. So after getting a new tank which wasn't easy last year due to covid supplies, I decided to bleach some of my rocks and I order some ocean cured rocks from KP Aquatics. Good luck!
I think if I did it again, I'd go with liverock like that. I chose dryrock because of the aptasia that took me out of the hobby years ago but I think the lack of biodiversity? makes things harder in the end.

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do an update as I see the last update was late August when I was battling the dinos. Well, I got a UV sterilizer and that wiped out the ones that migrate to the water column at night in short order. After that I found that I also have the ones that migrate into the substrate at night. UV didn't work for that. Some steps that I tried to get rid of them.

Removed as much as I could which also removed a lot of the substrate
Stopped water changes
Turned off skimmer
Dosed phosphates and other additives
Dosed bacteria
Increased feeding

None of these seemed to do the trick then someone mentioned dosing silicates so I figured I'd try it. It is supposed to create a diatom bloom which smothers the dinos. It worked! I finally beat that crap or at least made it manageable.

Here are some pics of my current inhabitants.

Royal Gramma has grown up
IMG_5773.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

Single Banggai Cardinal is doing well. It had a friend but freaked out and killed it for some reason.
IMG_5775.jpg

Algae Blenny be weird as usual
IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

Watchman goby who is king of a specific rock and lets everyone else know it
IMG_5777.jpg

Leather coral growing very well
IMG_5786.jpg

Here it is when I bought it about a year ago

PXL_20201218_211042717.MP.jpg

My Acan which has done very well. Many new heads!
IMG_5804.jpg

Whatever this is. Has not grown much at all over a year.
IMG_5806.jpg

And have a decent amount of baby snails.
IMG_5807.jpg

This really hasn't grown. I try to spot feed it but no luck.
IMG_5798.jpg

Torch? is doing very well
IMG_5791.jpg

My son finished the doors for me. I'll need to take a pic of the completed stand. Looks nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5769.jpg
    IMG_5769.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5779.jpg
    IMG_5779.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5795.jpg
    IMG_5795.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5796.jpg
    IMG_5796.jpg