I want more flow, let's discuss some thoughts

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, now how does it work?
The IceCap replaces the Gyre controller. You use the same power brick (which plugs into the IceCap) and connect the pump up to IceCap directly. The IceCap also plugs into a 0-10V port on the Apex.
BRS has good details: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/maxspect-gyre-interface-module-xf150-icecap.html
There's a link to the instructions there if you want to see a picture of how it connects.

Note that if you know you're going to go this route, you can save some money by getting a stand-alone Gyre (without controller). If you do this, you'll need to find a power brick for the IceCap, but that shouldn't be overly hard, I wouldn't think...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on adding Tunze.

A pair of 6105's is a mighty solution....also very flexible.

Another option for two (or more) is to have one with the narrow and one with the wide shroud.

Also consider a Tunze Rock to hide a pump somewhere in/on/near/under the rock structure.

The stream 3 is a beast...I'd like to see it in your tank. There are some great vids of people doing a whole tank your size with one of them.....you'd need more for high-flow though. Whether one of these would be better than a 6105 in your setup is an open question.

If it were me in your shoes for a day, I'd sell the mp60 and related stuff to get the money back out...apply that money (plus whatever) to acquire TWO MORE Tunze 6105's and ONE Stream Rock to hide one of them. Hiding smaller pumps is easier, so maybe consider one or more smaller pumps like the 6055 too....even at that size it still has a meaningful 48" reach so it could be hidden just about anywhere and still be effective.

A Tunze thread should be useful:

Some videos you may find interesting:

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on adding Tunze.

A pair of 6105's is a mighty solution....also very flexible.

Another option for two (or more) is to have one with the narrow and one with the wide shroud.

Also consider a Tunze Rock to hide a pump somewhere in/on/near/under the rock structure.

The stream 3 is a beast...I'd like to see it in your tank. There are some great vids of people doing a whole tank your size with one of them.....you'd need more for high-flow though. Whether one of these would be better than a 6105 in your setup is an open question.

If it were me in your shoes for a day, I'd sell the mp60 and related stuff to get the money back out...apply that money (plus whatever) to acquire TWO MORE Tunze 6105's and ONE Stream Rock to hide one of them. Hiding smaller pumps is easier, so maybe consider one or more smaller pumps like the 6055 too....even at that size it still has a meaningful 48" reach so it could be hidden just about anywhere and still be effective.

A Tunze thread should be useful:

Some videos you may find interesting:

Mcarroll,
You always have very informative and thoughtful replays. Some great food for though.

I think your right about the MP60. If it where possible to install another MP60 on the opposite end I think this would be ideal. Since I can't Ive been struggling to find the perfect arrangements of pumps and positions. I had a Gyre 150 at one time and sold it for the Tunze which was an improvement.

Tunze pumps are super, love them. Also like the Vortechs and Gyre too.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IceCap replaces the Gyre controller. You use the same power brick (which plugs into the IceCap) and connect the pump up to IceCap directly. The IceCap also plugs into a 0-10V port on the Apex.
BRS has good details: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/maxspect-gyre-interface-module-xf150-icecap.html
There's a link to the instructions there if you want to see a picture of how it connects.

Note that if you know you're going to go this route, you can save some money by getting a stand-alone Gyre (without controller). If you do this, you'll need to find a power brick for the IceCap, but that shouldn't be overly hard, I wouldn't think...

I could purchase an icecap power supply directly from CoralVue I assume.

So this all also applies to the 200 series? That's great.

Only problem is I'm not sure I've got enough 0-10v outputs for my Tunze, return, and Gyre.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem is I'm not sure I've got enough 0-10v outputs for my Tunze, return, and Gyre.

If you elect against more Tunze, I think this is a good reason for the return to get switched back to independent control or even AC power...IMO. Free up that spot for something of higher value.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you elect against more Tunze, I think this is a good reason for the return to get switched back to independent control or even AC power...IMO. Free up that spot for something of higher value.

That's certainly possible. Only reason i added that was for better feed modes but it's very low value if any.

Four Tunze..... wow, that could be programmed for some really great flow!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's certainly possible. Only reason i added that was for better feed modes but it's very low value if any.

Four Tunze..... wow, that could be programmed for some really great flow!

Indeed! Four should be a pleasing amount of overkill, in fact. ;)

Two should be enough to get any 180g started.
Three should be quite a bit.
Four and you have a pretty realistic storm mode on your hands!!!

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed! Four should be a pleasing amount of overkill, in fact. ;)

Two should be enough to get any 180g started.
Three should be quite a bit.
Four and you have a pretty realistic storm mode on your hands!!!

BINGO! I want a Hurricane, [emoji23].

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say wavs starter kit if you haven't made up ur mind yet

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my system I have WAVs, maxspect gyres Tunze pumps and a single jebao pp-20. They can all be controlled with an apex.
In the display I have three WAVs and a pp-20. It's more flow than some of my LPS care for. The SPS love it.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you help explain how you did it?
You need whatever maxspect you desire. I chose to get a 230 for my 35g and the 250 for my 90g both grow tanks. I used old 4amp jebao power supplies for them both. The icecap module will only control one gyre. You can use the Y splitter from one VDM apex port to control two gyres in only the forward direction or a special single cable that uses two VDM channels for one gyre in both forward and reverse.

OP
OP
bif24701

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need whatever maxspect you desire. I chose to get a 230 for my 35g and the 250 for my 90g both grow tanks. I used old 4amp jebao power supplies for them both. The icecap module will only control one gyre. You can use the Y splitter from one VDM apex port to control two gyres in only the forward direction or a special single cable that uses two VDM channels for one gyre in both forward and reverse.

Gyre+icecap module+ice cap cable?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back