Ich and new fish

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a much larger tank and have around 6 new large fish coming. Harlequin tang and similar sizes.

I never added new fish to my old tank after initial stocking, since I’m more of a coral guy, and the old tank was disease free.

My LFS has quarantined the my new fish fish in a reef tank in the showroom for 6 weeks and they appear ich and disease free. There are other fish in the tank since its a running reef but no other addition since mine were added.

The LFS says the tank is Ich free and all appears normal to me after 6 weeks. My new fish are eating and appear healthy.Am I safe to add these fish to my home reef and my old fish?

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a much larger tank and have around 6 new large fish coming. Harlequin tang and similar sizes.

I never added new fish to my old tank after initial stocking, since I’m more of a coral guy, and the old tank was disease free.

My LFS has quarantined the my new fish fish in a reef tank in the showroom for 6 weeks and they appear ich and disease free. There are other fish in the tank since its a running reef.

The LFS says the tank is Ich free and all appears normal to me after 6 weeks. My new fish are eating and appear healthy.Am I safe to add these fish to my home reef and my old fish?
Do they run a UV on that reef tank?

If I am you the answer for me would be no. It boils down to your own personal risk tolerance. Chances of a disease free system in a LFS are slim. Unless they have a separate facility where fish are QTd before being introduced to the store. Too many people and new fish coming in to avoid cross contamination.

Personally I QT all fish no matter where they come from.

My .02

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if they do or not to be honest. My fish were the last added 6 weeks ago. No additions since then.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO all fish need to be in a medicated QT prior to entering my main tank. I have successfully not followed this rule and been lucky. I have also not followed this rule and had a disastrous outcome, this was when medicated QT wasn't even talked about or known thing. At this stage I have some of the oldest fish I have ever kept, and a lot is due to the fact new arrivals have to go into QT first. If you don't want to QT then you could setup the new tank while keeping the old one running. Put the new fish into the new tank and watch them for a couple of months. If everything looks good then you can transfer old tank into new. If it doesn't work out then you lose new fish without risking old inhabitants.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No UV on the LFS tank and no fish added since mine were added. All healthy after nearly 6 weeks.

I would have done a personal quarantine on the fish however 6 fairly large fish will need a large quarantine tank. Any other thoughts from anyone?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back