Ich or Brook?

Humphreix2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown has small white dots on him for a few days now and they keep multiplying as the days go by, I've had him since May with no problems. I just want to confirm whether this is ich or brook.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the video. It's hard (for me) to see how quickly it's breathing. Could you send a 'still picture' - so it can be enlarged? Did you recently add anything to the tank?

OP
OP
H

Humphreix2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In white light it isn’t as prevalent as in blue light if what I noticed, the last thing I added to my tank was a chromis around a month ago that seems fine, however I had a fish that I purchased in the beginning of July that passed away last week, which is what prompted me to keep an eye on the rest.

IMG_7336.jpeg IMG_7338.jpeg IMG_7323.jpeg IMG_7331.jpeg IMG_7318.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In white light it isn’t as prevalent as in blue light if what I noticed, the last thing I added to my tank was a chromis around a month ago that seems fine, however I had a bicolor blenny that I purchased in the beginning of July that passed away last week, which is what prompted me to keep an eye on the rest.
Thanks that is helpful- there is certainly more mucus than normal - though normally Brook starts at the front. To me I see white spots suggestive of Ich on the fins. Ich can also cause mucus overproduction. Just curious what medications do you have available - and do you have a 'hospital' tank

OP
OP
H

Humphreix2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that is helpful- there is certainly more mucus than normal - though normally Brook starts at the front. To me I see white spots suggestive of Ich on the fins. Ich can also cause mucus overproduction. Just curious what medications do you have available - and do you have a 'hospital' tank
Sadly I do not, as a college student space is not an asset in my favor, I do have a means of doing some kind of dips though. For medications I only have prazi pro and (desperate cases) polyplab medic, but I can always shop

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly I do not, as a college student space is not an asset in my favor, I do have a means of doing some kind of dips though. For medications I only have prazi pro and (desperate cases) polyplab medic, but I can always shop
... Edit wrong post

Last edited:

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown has small white dots on him for a few days now and they keep multiplying as the days go by, I've had him since May with no problems. I just want to confirm whether this is ich or brook.

Any recent additions to the tank ? Ie coral, live rock, used equipment, etc ?

A still picture would be a good way to analyze the fish !

OP
OP
H

Humphreix2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's hope things get better on their own then. I assume the fish bounced around a bit on the floor - and may have damaged scales - meaning increased risk of infection. You could try (IF and ONLY IF) there are symptoms of infection - try Ruby Rally Pro which contains an antibacterial product in addition to other things.
By bounce around the floor are you referring to the sand or my floor floor? I haven’t dropped him before, his scales look damaged? Also, thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By bounce around the floor are you referring to the sand or my floor floor? I haven’t dropped him before, his scales look damaged? Also, thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.
I apologize I was answering another 5 questions - and I typed in the wrong box:)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Rref!

I think this clown may have Brooklynella.

You can use ruby reef as a dip, but putting the fish back into the same tank just increases the chance of reinfection. Still, I think I would try that. The dip instructions shoujj on d be on the bottle. Be sure to aerate its water during the dip, then throw that water out. You may be able to use the lower dose of ruby reef in the tank itself, depending on what other animals are in there.
Jay

OP
OP
H

Humphreix2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent additions to the tank ? Ie coral, live rock, used equipment, etc ?

A still picture would be a good way to analyze the fish !
The last fish I added to the tank was around a month ago, and I added a new bag of carbon about a week ago making sure to rinse it with ro water but that’s about it. Any advice is appreciated.
IMG_7338.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7324.jpeg
    IMG_7324.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7323.jpeg
    IMG_7323.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7331.jpeg
    IMG_7331.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 17

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@jayhemdal. Could it be severe Ich. There seem to be definite spots. ?

OP
OP
H

Humphreix2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Rref!

I think this clown may have Brooklynella.

You can use ruby reef as a dip, but putting the fish back into the same tank just increases the chance of reinfection. Still, I think I would try that. The dip instructions shoujj on d be on the bottle. Be sure to aerate its water during the dip, then throw that water out. You may be able to use the lower dose of ruby reef in the tank itself, depending on what other animals are in there.
Jay
I’ll try to get my hands on Ruby reef, but odds are the stores around me don’t have it unless Walmart or Petco does, my lfs are closed. Is there an alternative?

As per the brooklynella, how fast of a killer is it? I’ve read different accounts of death being within a day or so but it’s been a few days now since these specks started multiplying. I posted a few days ago on a forum and after a fw dip the fish looked fine so I was just told to observe.

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to get my hands on Ruby reef, but odds are the stores around me don’t have it unless Walmart or Petco does, my lfs are closed. Is there an alternative?

As per the brooklynella, how fast of a killer is it? I’ve read different accounts of death being within a day or so but it’s been a few days now since these specks started multiplying. I posted a few days ago on a forum and after a fw dip the fish looked fine so I was just told to observe.
Good question. These pictures look like mine did this AM, while pulling their dead bodies from the tank. I just assumed Ick.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freshwater dips can buy you some more time, but formalin is the best treatment, followed by ruby reef. There really are not any other options I’m afraid.
Jay

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are secondary lesions associated with brook. It starts with mucus generally at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back