"If I had a 3D printer"

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I thought I would come here to open up a discussion on accessories you cannot readily purchase, that leave you thinking, "If only I had a 3D printer". I have been involved with 3D printing for some time now and recently took it towards creating products for reefing. I am always looking for new things to 3D print and wanted to hear the opinions of others in this community. My main goal here is to help find solutions to inconveniences or problems that can be avoided through the utilization of my 3D printers. That being said, if there is anything that you would like to see printed, or if you have any problems you think I could help solve, feel free to reply, message me, or fill out a request form on my website! Thank you!

-Tom

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want something like this printed that can be attached to a long acrylic rod. It would be used to lightly stir my sand bed a bit to keep low flow areas clean. The one in the picture is a paint mixer but I have no idea if it is reef safe plastic. Obviously I wouldn’t use the metal part.

Attachments

• F93EDD74-6EB0-4FB9-A7D8-D7A9E2C4B3DA.jpeg
    F93EDD74-6EB0-4FB9-A7D8-D7A9E2C4B3DA.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 92

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be a guy in St. Louis called his outfit 'printedreefingsolutions'... I did quite a bit of business with him, before I got my own printer. Seems to be gone now. I had him build several custom clamps and mounts and such for me back when I was putting my system together. Print my own, these days.

I did a 3 way gang mount for 1/4" RO/DI ball valves last week. That one worked out well. Everybody uses them, and there is no good way to mount them. You're welcome to look at what I did, improve it... might be a good seller for you.

Best of luck to you. Good to have a source in the hobby for people without a printer.

OP
OP
Printed Reef

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want something like this printed that can be attached to a long acrylic rod. It would be used to lightly stir my sand bed a bit to keep low flow areas clean. The one in the picture is a paint mixer but I have no idea if it is reef safe plastic. Obviously I wouldn’t use the metal part.
Hello,

That totally sounds like something I could do. If you are interested, I could print something just like that for you. Let me know!

-Tom

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

That totally sounds like something I could do. If you are interested, I could print something just like that for you. Let me know!

-Tom
Get after it. I was looking for a 3’ section of rod to attach it to. I’m torn between a hex rod and the normal round rods. Maybe throw in a nylon bolt to attach it? I’m totally open to input.

OP
OP
Printed Reef

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get after it. I was looking for a 3’ section of rod to attach it to. I’m torn between a hex rod and the normal round rods. Maybe throw in a nylon bolt to attach it? I’m totally open to input.
I am working on designing different ones so you have some options. I was thinking the hole on the mixer could be a certain diameter to which the rod can fit snuggly, or be super glued in for extra durability. I was also going to make one with a small 3D printed screw that would secure the rod in place.

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about having a friend make me a little “rake” arrangement for an acrylic rod. For when I want to smooth out my sandbed a bit post cleanup.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on designing different ones so you have some options. I was thinking the hole on the mixer could be a certain diameter to which the rod can fit snuggly, or be super glued in for extra durability. I was also going to make one with a small 3D printed screw that would secure the rod in place.
ok pm me with any details and we will work it out, basically I want to hand stir the sand bed in certain spots without going shoulder deep. Thinking a 36” rod but don’t know what lengths they come in.

markwayts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I thought I would come here to open up a discussion on accessories you cannot readily purchase, that leave you thinking, "If only I had a 3D printer". I have been involved with 3D printing for some time now and recently took it towards creating products for reefing. I am always looking for new things to 3D print and wanted to hear the opinions of others in this community. My main goal here is to help find solutions to inconveniences or problems that can be avoided through the utilization of my 3D printers. That being said, if there is anything that you would like to see printed, or if you have any problems you think I could help solve, feel free to reply, message me, or fill out a request form on my website! Thank you!

-Tom
If i had a 3d printer i'd make a peristaltic pump with a stepper motor and 2 lines to do continuous water changes. Nobody makes one and the markup on those dosing pumps is outrageous.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
light shroud for sump light. i had to jerry rig my own diffuser + shroud to block off light. but perhaps printing one more modular, where you can add more “blinds” to increase the coverage

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back