CalebWBrink2000

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new
Yes; it's been awhile, I admit.
The reef has been through a slew of changes, a few ups and a few downs. Here's an updated pic:
IMG_0754.jpeg

My massive BTA split into three; one split died, and the other two healed nicely and are in the process of regrowing their other halves. I purchased a fiery orange/red expensive BTA, of which crawled and planted itself in the shade behind the rock structure and browned out. I eventually pulled it off; it's now up front between the two clusters of red macroalgae. The tips have color, but it's far from what it was.

I've had difficulty with LPS recently. My favia and blastos ended up slowly receding away. My blasto was zapped by the BTA and never healed; my favia's decline is unknown. My mushrooms have also been slightly ticked, with a few detatching, including my prized florescent red shroom I found in a tiny store in DC. I managed to find the polyp after it was regurgitated by my maxi mini, of which has also lost its color too. Anyhow; the red shroom is sitting in a low-flow area healing, and will hopefully attach to rubble so I can re-glue it.

Problems, problems, and problems. None major, but the reef was just surviving, not thriving like it was.

I began to wonder if it had anything to do with me using distilled water from Food Lion in my ATO. I also questioned the purpose in using pre-mixed Red Sea Coral Pro saltwater from my LFS for water changes; firstly, in the variability of their mixing, secondly, the variability of levels over time when in storage as shown by BRS, and thirdly, the purpose in using a salt w/elevated levels on a reef with literally no SPS to begin with.

So, I've switched to exclusively RODI in the ATO, and I've also switched salts to Red Sea Blue Bucket. I mix it myself now too (this is a bit of a hassle for a college student).

In conclusion, switching salts and ATO water perked everything up massively. I've also upped my feeding routine, and now dose phytoplankton again in addition.

After a week of watching, I overstocked my tank by adding an additional sixline wrasse and firefish goby. The wrasse and goby both did fine the first day, but Bertha, my big white evil clown, bit off half of the firefish's tail; I presume the little dude died of stress that night and perished. As you can see in the image, the wrasse is spunky and a fine addition.

To replace the firefish, I got a yellow watchman goby. He's doing well too, but doesn't really come out for photos.

I also bought a beautiful leather and green mushroom branch from Diver's Den a few days ago to fill up the reef a bit. I'm switching exclusively to softies (except for acans. I seem to be an acan whisperer; good light, moderate flow, and heavy feeding makes those dudes puff up and multiply like crazy.) for easier maintenance. The tank is definitely overstocked, but the corals seem to appreciate the hike in nutrients. I'm hoping my maxi-mini regains its color eventually; it eats fine and hasn't gotten any paler or worse, it's just oddly stalled. Perhaps it's not bleached, and this pale look is simply the appropriate ratio of zooxanthellae for the conditions its in. Who knows.

Anyhow, here we are.

BlakeM15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Macroalgae is that in your display and are you running a skimmer anymore if so what is it ? I’m also taking a tank to school with me, Fluval Evo 13.5 so almost the same tank

OP
OP
CalebWBrink2000

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3966.jpeg
IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3992.jpeg

As the big bubble tips grew, I had to offload a bunch of prized pieces to prevent a coral war. It's probably for the better anyway, as the tank is more streamlined and will be easier to move now too.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread. So you had a yellow tang in a biocube 29 for 6 YEARS. You know the experts say that's not possible, not enough room for the tang to swim( I not a expert).

I am a IM 20 Peninsula owner.

OP
OP
CalebWBrink2000

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread. So you had a yellow tang in a biocube 29 for 6 YEARS. You know the experts say that's not possible, not enough room for the tang to swim( I not a expert).

I am a IM 20 Peninsula owner.

Not quite 6; more like 4. I maintain that my tang was very healthy, but in retrospect it wasn't sustainable long-term to have him in a 29 gallon, and I would advise otherwise.

I guess a good way to look at it is looking at the max size of the fish- Yellows can get pretty large- around 8". Obviously, having an 8" disc in a 29 gallon cube would look out of place- a comically large fish in a small tank. Clearly he couldn't have stayed there forever. I don't see a great deal of harm in temporarily housing small tangs in small tanks though.

OP
OP
CalebWBrink2000

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is different just about every time I update. The anemones, mushrooms and fish are a constant though, even if they change their location.

IMG_2956 2.jpg

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great little tank! Would like an update also, keep up with the good work!

Also, may I ask what is the setting for your kessil? Flow in the tank? Feeding, Maintanence? I think your RBTA enjoys it very much.

OP
OP
CalebWBrink2000

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier I found a phenomenal fish- a starcki damsel. Easily the prettiest damsel I've seen. My female Wyoming White clown doesn't take well to new additions. I introduced him at night after feeding the tank to hopefully cut down on aggression, but woke up to him being beat up and relentlessly attacked by my clowns. He was quickly separated, but an injury on his tail became infected, causing him to loose his tail.

I set up a small hospital bucket and treated the damsel with Melafix. The infection was curbed and he regained his health. His tail began to regnerate, so I placed him in an acclimation box in the main display for a week before releasing him. There was aggression for the first day, but no injuries. He's now left alone and has earned a spot in the reef- I named him Diomedes.

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpeg
    IMG_5549.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5843.jpeg
    IMG_5843.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5933.jpeg
    IMG_5933.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
CalebWBrink2000

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
September update. Having this thread as a progression reference is neat.

IMG_1401.jpeg

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally created a video update:

and here is an updated FTS:

IMG_2347.jpg

Looks great! What is your light and feeding schedule? My RBTA has small bubbles when the light (same Kessil) comes on in am, then is stringy and multiplying like crazy; can't keep zoas.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back