I'm looking at a redneck solution to weak lighting.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally come to the conclusion that my light is simply too weak to support sps corals. I was warned by my LFS this might be the case. The blue spectrum is just not strong enough. It's frustrating because I can turn up the white spectrum until the tank looks like a square fireball, but the white spectrum simply grows algae.

Nevertheless, I want to try one more thing.

I can purchase violet/blue colored stage lighting gels super cheap. If I were to cover the white LEDs on my light with these gels, could I turn the lights up to get the power I need without growing algae like crazy while giving sps what they need?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally come to the conclusion that my light is simply too weak to support sps corals. I was warned by my LFS this might be the case. The blue spectrum is just not strong enough. It's frustrating because I can turn up the white spectrum until the tank looks like a square fireball, but the white spectrum simply grows algae.

I can purchase violet/blue colored stage lighting gels super cheap. If I were to cover the white LEDs on my light with these gels, could I turn the lights up to get the power I need without growing algae like crazy while giving sps what they need?
No, filtering the light through a colored lens doesn’t change its wavelength (spectrum). This would be useless.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Filters subtract photons. You could make a much bluer light but at the cost of power.

What light do you have and what size tank?
There are some relatively cheap " blue" lights.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could park the pickup in the living room next to the tank and turn on your high beams !!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

That to me would be what OP ‘s heading asked for as far as a red neck solution to weak lighting lol !!! :cool:

It’s past my bed time sorry I couldn’t resist

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, filtering the light through a colored lens doesn’t change its wavelength (spectrum). This would be useless.
Yes...yes it does. That is literally the only reason why blue light has blue color.

One reason why this maybe won't work is because white light will still be able to penetrate through a colored lense. But this depends on the density of the pigments and the strengh of the light.

Now, getting the proper lense with a wavelengh of 455-460nm is a different issue. It can't be a mixed pigment but has to be uniform.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filters subtract photons. You could make a much bluer light but at the cost of power.

What light do you have and what size tank?
There are some relatively cheap " blue" lights.
My tank is 24g AIO cube by Aquatop 18x18x18

My current light is this:

819bb5IUXwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Link

Last edited:

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might get what you’re looking for with metal halide. Bang for your buck.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope its ok too post this here as possible help for OP. I will soon have 9 Kessil A360we's for sale. Most likely around $150.00 each full complete units.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A good redneck solution for cheap sps lighting, look at T5 and or Metal Halide!

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there as well. I was reefing on a budget for years. I started with 1 mushroom and a little GSP under 1 T8 light in a 20 gallon. Close to the top, they survived.

I then swapped to a cheap, standard output, dual-lamp T5 when I switched my 29g from fresh to salt. I could then get some slow growth out of these corals, plus yellow parazoanthus and cactus pavona. Absolutely no coralline algae though.

I inherited a second dual-T5 light and after adding it I could grow cap monti and euphyllia. I eventually added a clip-on marineland LED for extra power and some blue light.

Then I went to a 55g with an Orbit Pro light. It worked great for 2 years for LPS and SPS but heat was the Achilles heel (at least in early models) and I saw this happen with multiple units.

Now I have a 90 gallon with 4-lamp HO T5 lamps. Plus I still use those blue LED clip-on LEDs from Marineland. This setup has been very good to me with any type of coral. A light is often the priciest piece of equipment, but it's also the best investment for coral growth!

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the size of the tank ?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't get caught up on the color of the lights. It's not what makes the difference.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this shouldn't be something you'd need to ask
Why?
Can't be many <24" t5 units out there..
Hating any lighting that doesn't "fit" anything it was a fair question.

No 18" or less AFAICT.

Not knowing ALL the bulb availability but reef centric tubes <24" do not seem to be common..
Guess there are "some"..

Suppose you could cobble 6-8 of these together..

That would be a sort of redneck solution..
I've never seen an elegent 6-8 tube 18" or less all in one unit lately but ???
6 tubes, 6 fixtures $310..

150-250 Watt MH with quality bulbs/ballasts will cost just as much if not more..
Lot less if one goes Chinese bulbs at like $15 each BUT seems nobody likes those.
They will work I guess...And if one fails in 6 months just pay to ship it to China for a "free" replacement..
I LOVE that part.

IF either of those ( 6-8 18" tubes or 150-250MH) wouldn't work or my pricing is out of wack.. please tell me.
It's an old problem..

• May 11, 2016
    Nope. You're stuck with LED's or MH. You can use T5 with a 3 inch overhang on each end....but......

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%

Back