Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PacificEastAquaculture / Dr. Mac, thank you for continuing to update Reef2Reef members on the ban situation(s). It is quite depressing to say the least.

I attended many MACNA presentations this year concerning the bans in Hawaii, Fiji, and Indonesia. These were given by Bruce Carlson, Walt Smith, a PIJAC workshop, and a panel that consisted of the aforementioned three along with Chris Buerner (owner of Quality Marine) and Bob Fenner (reef aquarium guru). The frustration behind all of their eyes was clear as day, as what we're seeing is a complete perversion of science, particularly in Hawaii.

Hawaii is one of, if not the best managed ornamental fisheries on the planet, where crystal clear data has been collected for years showing the aquarium fishery is sustainable. While the Hawaiian debate has been going on for (40+) years it took a turn for the worst when SB1240 was introduced. Bruce Carlson released a phenomenal video on this in 2016, but it only garnered ~17,000 views. Meanwhile the dodo puts up inaccurate articles that millions of people have read. When a fishery like Hawaii can be crippled so easily, a chain reaction can occur.

More than anything antitrade activists have the backing of large entities (Humane Society of the United States, Sea Shepard, and Wildlife Trafficking Alliance, to name a few) with lots of money to produce antitrade rhetoric. Every hobby-centric organization has failed due to hobbyists generally choosing cheap animals versus quality animals, and irresponsible management of the organizations.

And now we're seeing politics playing a big role, where emotion has shown significantly more power than science...

Nailed it.

I caught something in Walt's presentation that sent me down a wormhole. Walt mentioned that a Fijian diplomat had been appointed a new position. After some digging I found the diplomat is Peter Thomson, "a Fijian diplomat who served as President of the General Assembly of the United Nations from September 2016 until September 2017." Peter was recently appointed, "as the first special Envoy for the Oceans, seeking to galvanize efforts to protect the world's seas." (Source)

A new appointee of, well, anything is certain to make a name for themselves as fast as possible. What's an easier target than a (relatively) tiny industry with no central organization to fight back?

The hobby is a small fish in a big pond. Hopefully something can come to fruition that would emulate what public aquariums have in AZA or what the Australian ornamental fishery has done with Provision Reef. Because without it we will continue to see this domino effect as well managed fisheries fall prey to emotional diatribe.

-Austin Lefevre / @stunreefer

Thank you for your comments. You are correct that our industry suffers from not having a strong unified voice. This is due to rivalry and competition due to many oversized egos. I readily admit I'm not an expert, might have a lot of years in the business, but certainly always learning new things. A few years ago when there was a movement to ban certain coral species there was an appeal from an industry group to collect monetary donations from hobbyists. At the time I volunteered my services if needed. In a previous career I did lobbying in Wash DC and still have some contacts in Congress and am nearby. My emails and calls to the organization went unanswered, but the appeals for donations went on strong. Again, I'm not saying I had the answers or was the most connected guy, but an offer to help at no charge with no expectations for anything in return went unanswered repeatedly, even just to say no thanks or get lost. You know the old saying: follow the money, well add to that in our current situation follow the power and politics.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is probably needed more than lobbying is a change in perception this hobby has to those not in it. And finding ways to separate the hobby from the tangentially similar. That bottle of fiji water is going to end up in a land fill, but they partner with 1% for the planet; so we feel good when we buy it.

How do the players in the coral and fish trade separate their corner of the market from seafood watch, Blackfish and the cove, and other environmental documentaries that the general public is exposed to? Outside of a public aquarium how often do people see the good this hobby produces? How many outside the hobby believe we can captive breed most marine fish?

This isnt a court or legal battle this is a public affairs problem.

Where young reefers educational programs, increased exposure to the general public of the “good” are the tools that need to be more developed. until more of the general public is aware of marine creatures outside what they watched on blue planet, the hobby is fighting misinformation and perceived relationships with tangentially similar industries.

My 2 cents [emoji23]

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sad situation in Indonesia, one of my friends there that runs a mariculture farm just messaged me that if there is no progress in the situation by the end of September he is getting out of the business. Just been too long with no income.

I talked with lots of folks at MACNA and we all just throw up our hands and feel helpless to do anything for these guys. The coral farmers that were doing it right and observing all the rules and bring jobs and respect for their natural resources are bundled up with the guys that cut corners and did whatever they wanted. They didn't effectively police their own and now everyone suffers.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is, in my opinion, a fantastic perspective of how these bans can/will change our hobby as time goes on. It’s encouraging to say the least as we wait for more news...

BANNED! But Is There Still Hope?
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/BANNED!-But-Is-There-Still-Hope?.403782/

I didn't find it all that encouraging. He just stated the obvious. Saying things like "The ban isn't that bad, because look at all the new reef keeping tech we have now" and "we are great at growing corals now" is just hollow words filling a page. All things point to corals becoming even more expensive than what they are now. The hobby is already expensive enough and there are many people who don't want to stare at a tank full of 1" frags, so we'll see the hobby shrink and become even more of a niche until it is gone. It's only a matter of time before they stop collecting in Australia and other parts of the Coral Triangle.

oddomatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't find it all that encouraging. He just stated the obvious. Saying things like "The ban isn't that bad, because look at all the new reef keeping tech we have now" and "we are great at growing corals now" is just hollow words filling a page. All things point to corals becoming even more expensive than what they are now. The hobby is already expensive enough and there are many people who don't want to stare at a tank full of 1" frags, so we'll see the hobby shrink and become even more of a niche until it is gone. It's only a matter of time before they stop collecting in Australia and other parts of the Coral Triangle.

Be that as it may, sometimes you have to hold on to what you’ve got... It’s subjective.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be surprised if this really changes prices spent on coral or how many people buy it. Where it hurts is diversity. If we stopped imports, stuff like yellow birdsnest and Montipora digitata take over everyone's tank and we never see another coral like homewrecker or bounce mushrooms that really wasn't around years ago take over everyone's wish list.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be surprised if this really changes prices spent on coral or how many people buy it. Where it hurts is diversity. If we stopped imports, stuff like yellow birdsnest and Montipora digitata take over everyone's tank and we never see another coral like homewrecker or bounce mushrooms that really wasn't around years ago take over everyone's wish list.

There is hope for corals, if bans are changed in the future. If even x number of collections by y collectors are allowed with modern day propagation will still add to the diversity in the hobby. This is a process that worked for crested geckos from new Caledonia.

Fish are another story i dont see the captive breeding of many fish we keep becoming common any time soon.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As aquarium hobbyists and as those involved the industry, we tend to be poorly organized and too naive. We go about our daily activities somewhat oblivious to those among us that wish to stop our hobby and livelihood.

There is a well organized effort to stop imports of reef animals. It is gaining strength. It does not care about the facts or reality, nor cultured vs. wild collected. The so-called "not for profits" take in millions of dollars in donations and are able to influence public opinion with emotional pleas.

Here is Dr. Bruce Carlson's presentation from MACNA, note his conclusions at the end. This model of banning exports from the origin sources is being done, with some variations, in multiple locations. Unfortunately, due to the competitive nature of our industry and oversized egos that are common in our industry, we will likely never organize ourselves in time to tell the true story and prevent the demise of our industry. I for one am all about cultured livestock. I have gone to countries and put my money and efforts behind it and actually set up mariculture farms. However, how long will it be before all imports, wild or cultured are stopped into the US? Sure, facilities like mine and many others including hundreds of hobbyists are culturing lots of corals, but without any influx of other genetics I am unsure how affordable the hobby will become.

oddomatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As aquarium hobbyists and as those involved the industry, we tend to be poorly organized and too naive. We go about our daily activities somewhat oblivious to those among us that wish to stop our hobby and livelihood.

There is a well organized effort to stop imports of reef animals. It is gaining strength. It does not care about the facts or reality, nor cultured vs. wild collected. The so-called "not for profits" take in millions of dollars in donations and are able to influence public opinion with emotional pleas.

Here is Dr. Bruce Carlson's presentation from MACNA, note his conclusions at the end. This model of banning exports from the origin sources is being done, with some variations, in multiple locations. Unfortunately, due to the competitive nature of our industry and oversized egos that are common in our industry, we will likely never organize ourselves in time to tell the true story and prevent the demise of our industry. I for one am all about cultured livestock. I have gone to countries and put my money and efforts behind it and actually set up mariculture farms. However, how long will it be before all imports, wild or cultured are stopped into the US? Sure, facilities like mine and many others including hundreds of hobbyists are culturing lots of corals, but without any influx of other genetics I am unsure how affordable the hobby will become.

With all do respect, not all of us are naive to the issues that plague our industry. The fact of the matter is that many average joe hobbyists who actually do know about these issues, are just not in any real position to do anything about it. The majority of us do not have the same bevy of resources, or capital that many prominent figures in the industry have to effectuate real change... Most people in this hobby can not travel half way around the world and set up mariculture farms as you have, and educate the masses. That doesn’t make us poorly organized. Yes, we as hobbyists could always organize better. Yes, we could collectively plead our case from atop our soapboxes and educate the opposition though scientific data and analysis. Would it really matter? For those that would say yes, is that really reality? As you eluded to, reality is that the majority of people inherently want to feel something when it comes to supporting a cause, no matter how illogical its basis. They want to feel anger, emotion... Justice. Unfortunately, that doesn’t often happen by supporting a scientific cause (and believe me, I am all for our industries cause). Reality is that people love it when you have someone to finger as the big bad guy hurting the little guy. And, people view our industry just as such. It doesn’t matter how skewed that point of view is, it’s based purely on emotion. And, time has and will always show that humanity will support most any bleeding heart cause, no matter how illogical, because it fits this bill. Call me cynical, but that is currently where we are at. In my honest opinion, it has little to do with inflated egos or lack of support. Emotion is the real problem, and it’s not an easy opponent to defeat. Even with all we have done to prove our industry is beneficial to the natural reefs, emotion prevails. At the end of the day, you can be hopeful. You can be pessimistic. It’s of no real difference. The chips are already airborne at this point. They are going to fall where they are going to fall...

oddomatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all do respect, not all of us are naive to the issues that plague our industry. The fact of the matter is that many average joe hobbyists who actually do know about these issues, are just not in any real position to do anything about it. The majority of us do not have the same bevy of resources, or capital that many prominent figures in the industry have to effectuate real change... Most people in this hobby can not travel half way around the world and set up mariculture farms as you have, and educate the masses. That doesn’t make us poorly organized. Yes, we as hobbyists could always organize better. Yes, we could collectively plead our case from atop our soapboxes and educate the opposition though scientific data and analysis. Would it really matter? For those that would say yes, is that really reality? As you eluded to, reality is that the majority of people inherently want to feel something when it comes to supporting a cause, no matter how illogical its basis. They want to feel anger, emotion... Justice. Unfortunately, that doesn’t often happen by supporting a scientific cause (and believe me, I am all for our industries cause). Reality is that people love it when you have someone to finger as the big bad guy hurting the little guy. And, people view our industry just as such. It doesn’t matter how skewed that point of view is, it’s based purely on emotion. And, time has and will always show that humanity will support most any bleeding heart cause, no matter how illogical, because it fits this bill. Call me cynical, but that is currently where we are at. In my honest opinion, it has little to do with inflated egos or lack of support. Emotion is the real problem, and it’s not an easy opponent to defeat. Even with all we have done to prove our industry is beneficial to the natural reefs, emotion prevails. At the end of the day, you can be hopeful. You can be pessimistic. It’s of no real difference. The chips are already airborne at this point. They are going to fall where they are going to fall...

*All due respect.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*All due respect.

Just to be clear, the inflated egos part I was referring to was the guys in the industry, not hobbyists. However, the vast majority of marine aquarium hobbyists do not attend conferences such as MACNA nor come on boards such as R2R.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be showing my ignorance here, but why not set up an aquaculture facility on the east coast or off of south/central america? Why does it need to be in Indonesia or Fiji?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree strongly with mariculture bans. I don’t know how I feel about wild coral collection bans. Yes, I know the hobby’s impact is generally small. I also know it can be used to help protect the reefs and has sometimes been successful in doing just that.

I also feel it’s likely that destructive collection practices and smuggling are probably very common, and bans of exports, while a blunt tool, probably do dramatically reduce these bad acts. Maybe there are better tools for regulation, but can they be adequately implemented and enforced by small and poor governments? I don’t know. I also don’t know how the calculus of good vs. bad impacts comes out, and I doubt we have good numbers to work with to find out. The reefs are under full blown assault, dying at incredible rates, and not likely to survive this century in most locations.

I love the hobby. I have a few wild lps colonies. I love love my wild Aussie gold torch. My thoughts and feelings about the wild coral bans are very conflicted.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be showing my ignorance here, but why not set up an aquaculture facility on the east coast or off of south/central america? Why does it need to be in Indonesia or Fiji?

One can not introduce corals from another region of the world into another region. Just look at what has happened to lionfish in the Caribbean.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Indonesia has the largest biodiversity of corals in the world. Locating a mariculture facility in this location places you where the mother colonies are collected. It is also giving back to the community that is providing their natural resource. From a business sense this made sense as you were providing stable income to people who may have previously made a living from reef destructive activities:
Manta hunting,
Long line fishing,
Etc.

At least my take on the matter.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know about the Indonesian activists pushing for export bans in other countries. That is alarming... I could see Australia following suit in short order.

Would be surprised. Australia is really pro nature and animal life and I am sure they have done their homework. Would surprise me if they actually prefer this. The can essentially charge what they want at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back