OP
Chris oliveria

Chris oliveria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is finished. Plumbing is all glued. Installed a vent fan and the auto top off with an auto shut off float. Time to cycle!

IMG_20190925_123528_116.jpg Screenshot_20190925-161907_Instagram.jpg IMG_20190925_165836_802.jpg

finding paulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what in the worldddddd?! SEEEEESH

Yo chris... you a black belt in aquarium fish!

Im straight coming back into the hobby bc of this thread.. also following along on IG.

I think i'd like to do something similar .. couple questions if you dont mind.

1. Do you like the external overflow? thinking about doing an internal but wanted to know your thoughts.

2. on your sump. from left to right..obviously #1chamber is a return #1 but where you skimmer is, is that return#2 and where you refugium is, im guessing thats the emergency?

3. whats your plans on the second manifold??

4. would you do anything different from you set up? anything you learned??

Much appreciated bro. Heres a pic of my all in one 20 that i had to fold but dang looking like 30 long is the way to go ..

imageproxy-6.jpg

OP
OP
Chris oliveria

Chris oliveria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what in the worldddddd?! SEEEEESH

Yo chris... you a black belt in aquarium fish!

Im straight coming back into the hobby bc of this thread.. also following along on IG.

I think i'd like to do something similar .. couple questions if you dont mind.

1. Do you like the external overflow? thinking about doing an internal but wanted to know your thoughts.

2. on your sump. from left to right..obviously #1chamber is a return #1 but where you skimmer is, is that return#2 and where you refugium is, im guessing thats the emergency?

3. whats your plans on the second manifold??

4. would you do anything different from you set up? anything you learned??

Much appreciated bro. Heres a pic of my all in one 20 that i had to fold but dang looking like 30 long is the way to go ..

imageproxy-6.jpg
Wow thanks for the kind words!

Ok first off, the return is actually the last chamber on the RIGHT side of my sump. I'm using a 3 holed "eshopps eclipse L" overflow that I've drilled myself. My 30 long isn't an all in one version nor the ext version so that was what I opted for.
My return on the right goes straight up to my return on the right side of my tank but before that t's off to the left, to my manifolds, then on to the left return of the display.
The left side is the main siphon drain (chamber 1/left) the secondary drain is the line going down to the skimmer chamber, and you are very correct, the refugium return is the emergency.
I currently have no plans for the second manifold at all. It's really just there if I ever need to add a reactor of some sort.
As for doing anything different, I don't think I would.. I thought this setup out very well and it's basically set up for success.. Time will tell lol. I've learned a lot over the years and I've applied everything I possibly know to this go around. Any other questions I'd be happy to answer. Thanks again!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious why the filter sock and skimmer have their own chambers as opposed to sharing one? Just wondering cause I have both in the first chamber, but I’m still in the planning stage...

Also is there just one reactor for carbon? I see two in some pics.

One more question, got a pic of the internal plumbing inside the overflow?

OP
OP
Chris oliveria

Chris oliveria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious why the filter sock and skimmer have their own chambers as opposed to sharing one? Just wondering cause I have both in the first chamber, but I’m still in the planning stage...

Also is there just one reactor for carbon? I see two in some pics.

One more question, got a pic of the internal plumbing inside the overflow?
That's just the way the baffle kit was set up. Technically they do share the same chamber because the baffle separating the 2 is full of large slits, I think it's just structural integrity for the sock holder bracket. The reactors are very small. I can use one for carbon and one for gfo but I am currently using just one of them with both carbon and gfo mixed. My tank is still new so I will separate the 2 into their own reactors once my tank grows to the demand for that. I don't have a pic currently of the over flow internals. Unfortunately now that the tank is full of water and against the wall I cannot get one either. It's just your standard Herbie 3 drain overflow design though. Hope this helps!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back