EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by euphoria
Hey, if we're all being OCD already, what's the big deal if I'm the grammar police too? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, if we're all being OCD already, what's the big deal if I'm the grammar police too? :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Lol. There needs to be a mascot and a logo before any enforcement can proceed. The Tang Police have several. There is the Wrasse Wranglers, Cephalopod Squad, Parrot Patrol, the Arch Angels, and so on.

This is the way.

What can you come up with?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all caught up... :)
you're turn...:D
NICE WORK !!!...:cool:
I'll probably never get caught up. Keeping up is barely manageable... :)
I will double my efforts...:D
Thanks, I appreciate you taking a look!!!...:cool:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. There needs to be a mascot and a logo before any enforcement can proceed. The Tang Police have several. There is the Wrasse Wranglers, Cephalopod Squad, Parrot Patrol, the Arch Angels, and so on.

This is the way.

What can you come up with?

This is all I've got

Screenshot_20220414-125341.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. To serve and correct lol

It's official now.
I adore the grammar policing badge because the honorary badge allows me to laugh, especially out loud.

The legislation is now official.

Smirk Love GIF by euphoria

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share more about this heating system? I am planning a large build and this caught my attention.
Absolutely. Basically what I am doing is taking the already hot water in my home water heater and passing it through a tube and shell style titanium heat exchanger but only on demand when the tank needs it. The water from the tank is constantly flowing through the heat exchanger to ensure that it stays clean and that there is no stagnant salt water in the loop. The clean treated tap water for the house can sit idle without any issues. I use the flow from my UV system to feed the heat exchanger so there is no need for an additional pump and no additional electricity cost over what I am already using. If I decide for some reason to turn my UV off, I just turn the lamp off and keep the pump running. The setup is pretty simple and I made this rather crude illustration for you to better understand how it is all hooked together.

1652727934320.png

So the accessory pump runs circulation 25/7 through the UV and heat exchanger.

When the controller calls for heat based on the temp probe, the controller turns on the circulation pump that is on the hot water return line for the household water system. This uses 5 watts of power to pull water through the house at 1 gallon/min and push it back to the water heater tank.

The water flow causes the now hot heat exchanger to transfer that heat into the aquarium water that is already circulating through system from the accessory pump.

When the controller is satisfied it shuts off the circulation pump and waits for another call for heat.

The controller is a PID type so it uses some "fuzzy logic" to self regulate its on/off timing to maintain its set hysteresis target. I typically see a 0.3 degree swing.

Here are all of the main parts:

ALPHA2 15-55SF/LC Stainless Steel Circulator Pump (w/ Line Cord)​

3/4" GF 15/26 Bronze Dielectric Isolation Valve Pair (Threaded)​

AB 55kBtu Full Titanium Pool Heat Exchanger for Spa, Sauna, Hot Tub, Mariculture-Same Side Ports 1" & 3/4" FPT​

Inkbird Heating or Cooling PID Temperature Controller IPB-16S Pre-Wired Digital Home Brewing Controller Independent Control Pump Thermostat​

Inkbird 12 inches NTC Stainless Probe Sensor Thermocouple Female to Male Adapter for ITC-306T ITC-308 IPB-16S Thermostat Temperature Controller​

I am sure that I overlooked something so please let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Basically what I am doing is taking the already hot water in my home water heater and passing it through a tube and shell style titanium heat exchanger but only on demand when the tank needs it. The water from the tank is constantly flowing through the heat exchanger to ensure that it stays clean and that there is no stagnant salt water in the loop. The clean treated tap water for the house can sit idle without any issues. I use the flow from my UV system to feed the heat exchanger so there is no need for an additional pump and no additional electricity cost over what I am already using. If I decide for some reason to turn my UV off, I just turn the lamp off and keep the pump running. The setup is pretty simple and I made this rather crude illustration for you to better understand how it is all hooked together.

1652727934320.png

When the controller calls for heat based on the temp probe, the controller turns on the circulation pump that is on the hot water return line for the household water system. This uses 5 watts of power to pull water through the house at 1 gallon/min and push it back to the water heater tank.

The water flow causes the now hot heat exchanger to transfer that heat into the aquarium water that is already circulating through system from the accessory pump.

When the controller is satisfied it shuts off the circulation pump and waits for another call for heat.

The controller is a PID type so it uses some "fuzzy logic" to self regulate its on/off timing to maintain its set hysteresis target. I typically see a 0.3 degree swing.

AB 55kBtu Full Titanium Pool Heat Exchanger for Spa, Sauna, Hot Tub, Mariculture-Same Side Ports 1" & 3/4" FPT​

Inkbird Heating or Cooling PID Temperature Controller IPB-16S Pre-Wired Digital Home Brewing Controller Independent Control Pump Thermostat​

Inkbird 12 inches NTC Stainless Probe Sensor Thermocouple Female to Male Adapter for ITC-306T ITC-308 IPB-16S Thermostat Temperature Controller​

I am sure that I overlooked something so please let me know if you have any questions.

I forgot something. This particular controller will not resume normal operations after a power outage. You have to physically turn it back on once it loses power (press one button). It will remember all of the settings, it just won't turn itself back on. I mitigate this with an extensive battery backup for the entire system. I am sure there are similar controllers that could eliminate this as an issue; but I wanted to share this so that you were aware of this shortcoming.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1652727934320.png

This is really a neat design. Where does the hot water go when it passes through the heat exchanger? Back to the hot water heater tank?

Is the saltwater from the tank in direct contact with the titanium heat exchanger?

You mention that you might back it up using an extensive battery backup, but wouldn't a backup that's big enough to run the inkbird and the 5w pump be enough?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really a neat design. Where does the hot water go when it passes through the heat exchanger? Back to the hot water heater tank?

Is the saltwater from the tank in direct contact with the titanium heat exchanger?

You mention that you might back it up using an extensive battery backup, but wouldn't a backup that's big enough to run the inkbird and the 5w pump be enough?
So when no water is being used (like at a sink or whatever) there is no flow through the system.

When the aquarium calls for heat the circulation pump starts to push water through the household system. This does not add any additional water to the household system but it does add energy via heat. That is why the expansion tank is there.

I do have my system backed up with batteries. I only mention this to ensure that you are aware of the potential issue. A small battery backup would be sufficient provided that you are only trying to back up the heating system.

The real plus here is the relative low power that is needed to suport the heating system. 5 watts for the pump. Whatever power that is needed for the accessory pump and whatever power is needed to sustain the water heater. If the water heater utilizes a milivolt generator then this would be zero.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when no water is being used (like at a sink or whatever) there is no flow through the system.

When the aquarium calls for heat the circulation pump starts to push water through the household system. This does not add any additional water to the household system but it does add energy via heat. That is why the expansion tank is there.

I do have my system backed up with batteries. I only mention this to ensure that you are aware of the potential issue. A small battery backup would be sufficient provided that you are only trying to back up the heating system.

The real plus here is the relative low power that is needed to suport the heating system. 5 watts for the pump. Whatever power that is needed for the accessory pump and whatever power is needed to sustain the water heater. If the water heater utilizes a milivolt generator then this would be zero.
Very neat! Could you use a similar parallel system circulating cool water to chill the tank if it were over heating?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neat! Could you use a similar parallel system circulating cool water to chill the tank if it were over heating?
I am actually working on this now to utilize the same heat exchanger as a cooling device as well. I have a large piece of aluminum tube that I will machine down to accept 16 electric coolers under the heat transfer fins powered by a 1200w power supply. The idea is that I would wrap this around the titanium heat exchanger and pull the heat out of the system. I testes this without any fans and determined that I would need to add fans to pull additional heat from the system. Cooling is way more energy intensive than heating.
Screenshot_20220516-203359_Gallery.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually working on this now to utilize the same heat exchanger as a cooling device as well. I have a large piece of aluminum tube that I will machine down to accept 16 electric coolers under the heat transfer fins powered by a 1200w power supply. The idea is that I would wrap this around the titanium heat exchanger and pull the heat out of the system. I testes this without any fans and determined that I would need to add fans to pull additional heat from the system. Cooling is way more energy intensive than heating.
Screenshot_20220516-203359_Gallery.jpg
are those peltier devices?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leroy headlee used to use a similar heat exchange system for his tanks that circulated water from a hot spring under his property. That was the "Geothermal" in geothermal aquaculture research foundation (aka GARF).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back