Introducing a new fish. Timeout or new tank?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to introduce a tiny little Biota Coral Beauty Angel to my IM40. Current inhabitants unfortunately are all kind of jerks. Most specifically my 3+ yr old clown pair.

I have had the CB in an acclimation box for over a week now. I've let it out a couple times and each time it gets it's *** handed to it, so back in the box it goes.

I was able to pull my female clown last night (the most aggressive) and she's in timeout in the sump of my other tank.

The question is, if I remove the clowns for awhile for a timeout will I be able to introduce them back without issue? How long might they need timeout?

Or, I am willing to sell off the clown pair (clowns are jerks) and hope my other two established fish (sixline and midas blenny) chill out.

OR I could work toward a complete tank swap out and replace the IM40 with a 50g cube tank, but it will take a bit of time to get it all together. And even then, will that work?

What's my most successful course of action here, I don't want to give up the coral beauty if I can help it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to introduce a tiny little Biota Coral Beauty Angel to my IM40. Current inhabitants unfortunately are all kind of jerks. Most specifically my 3+ yr old clown pair.

I have had the CB in an acclimation box for over a week now. I've let it out a couple times and each time it gets it's *** handed to it, so back in the box it goes.

I was able to pull my female clown last night (the most aggressive) and she's in timeout in the sump of my other tank.

The question is, if I remove the clowns for awhile for a timeout will I be able to introduce them back without issue? How long might they need timeout?

Or, I am willing to sell off the clown pair (clowns are jerks) and hope my other two established fish (sixline and midas blenny) chill out.

OR I could work toward a complete tank swap out and replace the IM40 with a 50g cube tank, but it will take a bit of time to get it all together. And even then, will that work?

What's my most successful course of action here, I don't want to give up the coral beauty if I can help it.
Wow.. you have some aggressive fish!

Clowns are almost always jerks. They look cute but they are damsels. They are very territorial so need their own space to be jerks in.

The sixline wrass is also a tiny terror. It will make new additions difficult regardless of the tank size you add them to.

Not as sure about the blenny. My starry blenny was a jerk for awhile but he has calmed down.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. you have some aggressive fish!

Clowns are almost always jerks. They look cute but they are damsels. They are very territorial so need their own space to be jerks in.

The sixline wrass is also a tiny terror. It will make new additions difficult regardless of the tank size you add them to.

Not as sure about the blenny. My starry blenny was a jerk for awhile but he has calmed down.
I know! I didn't intentionally construct a tank full of jerks but...here we are. :)

Maybe the best course is to ditch the clowns and see how it goes? I also introduced a Biota Rainfordi goby which seems to go ok so far. He has the advantage of being able to hide better among the rockwork.

If needed I can ditch the sixline (if I can even be caught) as well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know! I didn't intentionally construct a tank full of jerks but...here we are. :)

Maybe the best course is to ditch the clowns and see how it goes? I also introduced a Biota Rainfordi goby which seems to go ok so far. He has the advantage of being able to hide better among the rockwork.

If needed I can ditch the sixline (if I can even be caught) as well.
It happens. It makes it even more challenging since not all fish of the same species act alike. I know a few people who have both coral beauties and flame angels in the same tank. I have a 120g system so thought it would be no problem. My flame angel thought otherwise. ;Rage

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back