Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HndMafia I'll put you down for an L4 for now.

Here's what I've done in the past: For people who either (1) can't quite decide which one is the right one to get, or (2) want a larger unit but it's not available yet, I offer this - buy the smaller size unit, if that takes care of your needs, then great! If it doesn't and you feel you need something larger, when that unit is available, I'll give you credit towards the new unit on exchange. Amount of credit depends on a few factors so I can't really put that into a solid number, but I try to make it extremely fair (especially if it's only been a few months of use).

For instance: I knew that Rev 4 was coming so when I got to the tail end of my Rev 3 stock, I told everyone that purchased after 6/1/15 that they would be getting a 100% free swap out to the new version after it comes out. I would hate to buy something and then find out the new version was right around the corner, so that's how I roll.

skydancer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you update us on the L2 availability? Is it still in December? Beginning or end of the month?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a bit of a delay in the overall process, partially my fault because I needed some extra time to get the 3D models where I wanted them, and partially because it took a lot longer than expected to get final production quotes. I was still hoping to hit the end of December, but I'm waiting on clarification of one of the time frames they just gave me which was a bit further out. Right now I think December is out though, unfortunately. I'm hoping to have an exact date nailed down within a few days, and then I'll post an update.

The good news is that I'm getting 1000lb of heat sinks delivered in the next week or so, right on time. The WAF (Wife Approval Factor) is going to slide fast when that truck shows up.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the fence between going with the l2 or just waiting till the l4. You have me on the list already for a 2 but I'm thinking it may be a bit small. Knowing that I could possibly trade in for a bigger one makes me feel alot better :)

Since it's gonna be a bit longer till they're released would it be possible to order one of your light blockers to use for now?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put me on the list for an L2 please!

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read about your scrubbers before on another forum... I liked the idea and was very interested but never pulled the trigger. I am working on a new tank build now and after reading this thread has me thinking your scrubber would be a great addition to it. I was considering a diy algae scrubber but I don't like the look of it and not sure how to fit it into my sump setup. your product looks completely professional and finished.

My tank will be a 300 and hoping to have it heavy stocked. I think I will start with an L2 since I will be running a good sized skimmer and I like the idea of being able to upgrade to an L4 if I feel the need to.

Do people normally have chaeto along with the scrubber? I would be running a skimmer and if I could get rid of the chaeto that would be nice.
Any chance of making them in white? :)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's gonna be a bit longer till they're released would it be possible to order one of your light blockers to use for now?
Can do, I have a few of these to get out soon
Put me on the list for an L2 please!
Will do!
So I've read about your scrubbers before on another forum... I liked the idea and was very interested but never pulled the trigger. I am working on a new tank build now and after reading this thread has me thinking your scrubber would be a great addition to it. I was considering a diy algae scrubber but I don't like the look of it and not sure how to fit it into my sump setup. your product looks completely professional and finished.

My tank will be a 300 and hoping to have it heavy stocked. I think I will start with an L2 since I will be running a good sized skimmer and I like the idea of being able to upgrade to an L4 if I feel the need to.

Do people normally have chaeto along with the scrubber? I would be running a skimmer and if I could get rid of the chaeto that would be nice.
Any chance of making them in white? :)
I'll put you on the list also. An L2 on a 300g system would compete with the chaeto but there might be enough excess nutrients to allow both to keep going at the same time. One way to find out :)
On the white, no. I've considered this but white does not block the light very well, so the whole unit glows red from the LEDs.

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put you on the list also. An L2 on a 300g system would compete with the chaeto but there might be enough excess nutrients to allow both to keep going at the same time. One way to find out :)
On the white, no. I've considered this but white does not block the light very well, so the whole unit glows red from the LEDs.

The glow makes sense. Well I would definitely like to get one so glad I'm on the list. I look forward to hearing more about this and of course receiving the unit early next year!

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, maybe it has been answered already but I missed it. Are these quiet/silent or noisy?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, maybe it has been answered already but I missed it. Are these quiet/silent or noisy?
Easy to miss, it wasn't in the OP but is on page 3 in my response to @Pny's question
the Emergency Drain is also meant for use as an "open channel" for anyone familiar with the BeanAnimal Silent and Failsafe Overflow method: you place a valve on the main drain, and then tune it to the inflow so that it acts as a full siphon, with a small trickle going through the OC. In this case it's more like a Herbie but BA is where I started, I never ran a Herbie. With respect to the Algae Scrubber, placing a tuning valve on the main drain has a couple of effects: 1) it silences the drain, 2) it allows for a much higher flow rate (air occluding a drain line will significantly reduce the flow) 3) no air to the drain means no microbubbles on the drain outflow (or at least, a very significant reduction, once the screen has growth).
Valve is also part of the new version. Pending...

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this happened today! First time I've ever had a shipment delivered by a semi. Won't be the last!

1000lb of aluminum heat sinks will be taking up space in my garage for a while.

IMG_6038.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friend @Floyd R Turbo

I have a question about your product.

I do not understand how to remove the mesh of the box, How it´s made?

They have to take the whole box and then remove the mesh?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Rev 4 design, you can either

A) remove the Slot pipe & screen from the box just by lifting it straight up (leaving the Growth Chamber in place)

B) remove the Growth Chamber with the screen & slot pipe installed by lifting the Growth Chamber up an inch or so to disengage it from the base, and then sliding the Growth Chamber out of the frame sideways. You would then remove the Slot Pipe & Screen from the Growth Chamber wherever you go to clean the screen (sink, etc)

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Floyd
Don't know if you remember me ....I sent you a picture of my tank (the 180 gallon with cyanobacteria and customs )
I really like your product , could not get enough YouTube videos on it (lol) .I just can't remember which one you suggested for me ...I have the lifereef lfs -300 from Jeff .And I cound see a really nice match (workmanship and quality ) . Can you tell me which one to get . Right now I only have 4 fish 2 gsm clowns a yellow belly hippo and (forgot the name ) wrasse. I just got over ich and was recovering from the supper storm Sandy ( no power for 5 weeks and had to major repairs to roof of house (lol)

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly easy question for you. What happens if you use higher flow?. I saw for the L2 you recommended 220gph flow. What if that was doubled or tripled? What does flow do to ats?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back