Invasive bacteria/corals ID

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need an ID on these hitchhiker corals and bacteria. I’m fairly new so I need to know whether they are reef safe and also how to exterminate if not
Dark algae spots. Circular white spots all over main rock
image.jpg

Small polyps above and around Aptasia anemone? Asterina starfish I’m waiting to remove. What is growing underneath this red mushroom?
image.jpg

Pineapple sponges? Also in the empty chamber of the sump
image.jpg

Any reply is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks for stopping by.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the dark algae spots (not an area I've researched much yet), but the circular white spots are spirorbid worms - harmless filter feeders.

The small polyps are some kind of either clove polyps or xenia coral. Many clove polyps (xenia included) are considered invasive (some are considered extremely invasive). The thing under the red shroom is a vermetid snail - they reportedly sometimes irritate corals, but it likely depends on the coral and the vermetid species, as some people have pics of their corals growing over the vermetids and doing just fine.

Yep, pineapple sponges - harmless filter feeders that usually go away on their own.

OP
OP
E

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the dark algae spots (not an area I've researched much yet), but the circular white spots are spirorbid worms - harmless filter feeders.

The small polyps are some kind of either clove polyps or xenia coral. Many clove polyps (xenia included) are considered invasive (some are considered extremely invasive). The thing under the red shroom is a vermetid snail - they reportedly sometimes irritate corals, but it likely depends on the coral and the vermetid species, as some people have pics of their corals growing over the vermetids and doing just fine.

Yep, pineapple sponges - harmless filter feeders that usually go away on their own.
Thank you for the reply, I couldn’t find anything online about the worms and snails. I have one more coral species I’m unsure of. Seems to be translucent with red dots. Beautiful hitchhiker though
63110766-8B32-446C-BB02-03C1D43E9DCE.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, I couldn’t find anything online about the worms and snails. I have one more coral species I’m unsure of. Seems to be translucent with red dots. Beautiful hitchhiker though
That looks like it may be a barnacle of some kind. If it’s bored into a rock/coral, those species seem to last longer than regular barnacles do - either way, harmless filter feeder.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
E

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This helps tremendously. I knew there was a forum out there with invasive coral ID. Just couldn’t seem to find one that fit my criteria. Thanks again!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I need an ID on these hitchhiker corals and bacteria. I’m fairly new so I need to know whether they are reef safe and also how to exterminate if not
Dark algae spots. Circular white spots all over main rock
image.jpg

Small polyps above and around Aptasia anemone? Asterina starfish I’m waiting to remove. What is growing underneath this red mushroom?
image.jpg

Pineapple sponges? Also in the empty chamber of the sump
image.jpg

Any reply is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks for stopping by.
Im seeing lyngbya slime algae and clatharina sponge which is an invasive poriferan. In pic three is a hydroid and also noted an aptasia anemone. You can smother the aptasia and hydroid with a syringe, inject kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and they will melt away. For sponge, using syringe, inject with vinegar and it will shrink away. Near the sponge are a few pinaeapple sponges- those will dissipate in time as they are filter feeders of algae derived from silicates often associated with new rock and sand and favor low light areas

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This helps tremendously. I knew there was a forum out there with invasive coral ID. Just couldn’t seem to find one that fit my criteria. Thanks again!!!
You're welcome. There is a sticky thread section at the top of most of the forums with a lot of good info.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it may be a barnacle of some kind. If it’s bored into a rock/coral, those species seem to last longer than regular barnacles do - either way, harmless filter feeder.
Could be a feather duster too. Easy to tell the difference in person. Duster will have a full circle of feathers. Barnacle looks more like a waving hand and it’s usually always moving.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 191 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back