Is lanthanum compatible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is lanthanum via a doser a suitable phosphate removal approach with the Triton method? Or will the alk consumption make it impossible to dial in the dosing?

I just saw a thread where Triton recommends 24/7 phosphate removal via something like gfo. The cost comparison makes lanthanum very attractive if possible...

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With LC, you need to remove the particles. So many people drip directly into their filter sock and some people use a special 10micron filter sock rather than 100/200 micron on the days they use LC.

With regular Triton, you remove your socks, so the only way the particles will get removed is via the skimmer.

So LC has some disadvantages on a regular Triton setup

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With LC, you need to remove the particles. ...
With regular Triton, you remove your socks

Thanks. I have plenty of space to accommodate this problem without running all return flow through filter socks. But good to note if you won't be able to handle the particulates!

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...
There is a lanathum reactor thread on R2R, but it requires a masterflex pump with two heads, which is a substantial investment. I hope we can come up with a less costly alternative.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't run lanathium in a full triton method tank for any period of time (or consider water changes if you do).

Apart from potential lanathium build up, there may be issues with contaminents in the lanathium solution which will build up over time.

GFO or GAO are used as they do not leach elements back into the water column and are really mopping up excess phosphate after the algae bed has consumed all it will. I'm not sure how well lanathium plays with an algae refugium as my perception is that it is far more harsh than GAO or GFO.

No reason that you can't use Lanathium if you really want to with a water change regime on Triton other methods.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason you can't dose LaCl2 in a reef tank. We're currently dosing both of our live coral displays at the National Aquarium in Baltimore with LaCl2. In both tanks, we dilute the product with deionized water and drip slowly. In our upstairs tank we drip the LaCl2 right before a sand filter to catch the precipitation. In our second-floor display we drip diluted LaCl2 into a filter sock. A less effective approach than dripping right before a sand filter, but effective nonetheless.

What specifically is your question regarding Triton and LaCl2 dosing? Is it about lanthanum carbonate precipitation? What is your specific concern?

Last edited:

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason you can't dose LaCl2 in a reef tank. We're currently dosing both of our live coral displays at the National Aquarium in Baltimore with LaCl2. In both tanks, we dilute the product with deionized water and drip slowly. In our upstairs tank we drip the LaCl2 right before a sand filter to catch the precipitation. In our second-floor display we drip diluted LaCl2 into a filter sock. A less effective approach than dripping right before a sand filter, but effective nonetheless.

What specifically is your question regarding Triton and LaCl2 dosing? Is it about lanthanum carbonate precipitation? What is your specific concern?

My post was regarding the fact that the OP is running Triton, which is a zero water change method.

Since Lanathium comes up on the ICP and the tank is a closed system, it's probably best not to run it without also doing water changes. I'm not sure how large your systems are over there or if you are using comparable filtration to the OP.

Nothing from with using LaCl2 in a reef tank, but caution should be used when running in a Triton method reef tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back