OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya, I was getting confused sorry.

I don't see anything that looks like velvet. Are these new spots showing up or just where the fish had spots prior?

I would increase the copper up to 1.75-1.85 to be sure you are high enough.

Like @Brew12 said this could be Brook it could also be a secondary bacterial infection of the entrance wounds.
It is also possible that what you are seeing is the reaction of the fish to copper. It isn't unusual to see raised bumps on Tangs especially when treated with copper.

thanks guys,

At this point should I do another bath with rally? paraguard? Only for the fish showing signs of stress?

In the meantime raise the copper to 1.85?

I am not gonna lie I'm putting 110% efforts to save my friends but sometimes is really stressful.

Thanks guys.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys,

At this point should I do another bath with rally? paraguard? Only for the fish showing signs of stress?

In the meantime raise the copper to 1.85?

I am not gonna lie I'm putting 110% efforts to save my friends but sometimes is really stressful.

Thanks guys.
We have been there and understand the stress involved!

I would wait and watch to see if anything gets worse. The video makes it look like they are doing fine. I don't see anything too bad in the pictures. If they are eating, I'd continue to monitor. Raising copper a touch wouldn't hurt, 1.75 to 1.85 is a nice place to be.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been there and understand the stress involved!

I would wait and watch to see if anything gets worse. The video makes it look like they are doing fine. I don't see anything too bad in the pictures. If they are eating, I'd continue to monitor. Raising copper a touch wouldn't hurt, 1.75 to 1.85 is a nice place to be.

ok ok...

but I already have the 10 gallon setup and 10 gallons of brand new water at 1.018 just waiting in case anything happens. Better safe than sorry. I'll raise the copper to 1.8 and see if things get better.

Tuesday, Dec 11th makes 2 full weeks treating copper at 1.7 ppm. After that should I stop the treatment? I've heard that if fish get exposed for long periods on copper they can die.

Thanks guys

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ok...

but I already have the 10 gallon setup and 10 gallons of brand new water at 1.018 just waiting in case anything happens. Better safe than sorry. I'll raise the copper to 1.8 and see if things get better.

Tuesday, Dec 11th makes 2 full weeks treating copper at 1.7 ppm. After that should I stop the treatment? I've heard that if fish get exposed for long periods on copper they can die.

Thanks guys
No, you should keep it there awhile longer. What I like to do is to treat them for 10 days at full copper then transfer them to a clean QT. If you don't transfer them, they should be fine in copper for a full 30 days, then you can start letting copper drop.

You could do the transfer like I do, but you probably have too many fish for that 10g QT, even for the time it would take to break down and sterilize the current QT system.

The issue is that you could have parasite cysts on the glass of the QT. If you don't transfer the fish away from them, or maintain proper copper, those cysts could hatch and re-infect the fish.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, that is a fantastic idea.
If you are concerned about bacteria add Kanaplex and Furan-2 to the mix as well.

Key here is very heavy water agitation to generate oxygen when combining meds.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d mix copper and metroplex — it treats both velvet and brook. Sorry for the struggles! :(

Thanks I do have Metroplex and Kanaplex. Also have focus.

No, you should keep it there awhile longer. What I like to do is to treat them for 10 days at full copper then transfer them to a clean QT. If you don't transfer them, they should be fine in copper for a full 30 days, then you can start letting copper drop.

You could do the transfer like I do, but you probably have too many fish for that 10g QT, even for the time it would take to break down and sterilize the current QT system.

The issue is that you could have parasite cysts on the glass of the QT. If you don't transfer the fish away from them, or maintain proper copper, those cysts could hatch and re-infect the fish.

I could try to transfer to the 10 gallon without any copper and then clean the tank really fast with my pressure washer and magic eraser with vinegar. That would take 30 minutes at the most. I did the baths using the 10 gallon tank for 90 minutes without any issues.

What you think?

14 days in copper then transfer, clean the QT and put them back without copper and do 2 weeks of Prazipro.

If you are concerned about bacteria add Kanaplex and Furan-2 to the mix as well.

Key here is very heavy water agitation to generate oxygen when combining meds.

I have 2 power heads and the air stone. I don't have Furan-2 but I can get it.

Question is how many scoops of each should I add to a small chunk of LRS food?

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could try to transfer to the 10 gallon without any copper and then clean the tank really fast with my pressure washer and magic eraser with vinegar. That would take 30 minutes at the most. I did the baths using the 10 gallon tank for 90 minutes without any issues.

What you think?
It is an option if you think they will be ok for a few hours in the 10g. It's hard for me to judge from here and you know your fish better.

Your cleaning plan needs some work. We need to do more disinfecting than actual cleaning. The best way to do it would be to throw away and sponge material to be replace, dump a few cups of bleach in the system and let it circulate for a few hours. Then drain and rinse it really well. Refill with water and make sure it doesn't smell like bleach. Maybe add Prime to declorinate anything that doesn't get rinsed out properly. Then add a new sponge and reseed with Biospira.

It's a lot of work to do right. Not doing it right can cause serious issues.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an option if you think they will be ok for a few hours in the 10g. It's hard for me to judge from here and you know your fish better.

Your cleaning plan needs some work. We need to do more disinfecting than actual cleaning. The best way to do it would be to throw away and sponge material to be replace, dump a few cups of bleach in the system and let it circulate for a few hours. Then drain and rinse it really well. Refill with water and make sure it doesn't smell like bleach. Maybe add Prime to declorinate anything that doesn't get rinsed out properly. Then add a new sponge and reseed with Biospira.

It's a lot of work to do right. Not doing it right can cause serious issues.

Ops...

That is actually harder than I thought. I might just get another tank LOL.

Jokes aside

Can I spray with clorox and vinegar and maybe 95% alcohol or you gotta fill it out with bleach and water and let run for 2-3 hours?

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ops...

That is actually harder than I thought. I might just get another tank LOL.

Jokes aside

Can I spray with clorox and vinegar and maybe 95% alcohol or you gotta fill it out with bleach and water and let run for 2-3 hours?

Thanks
The issue is getting the contact time on the hard to reach places in the filter, heater and accessories.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is getting the contact time on the hard to reach places in the filter, heater and accessories.

I was able to shoot a video showing the blue tang rubbing. I feel so sad for the animal.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to shoot a video showing the blue tang rubbing. I feel so sad for the animal.

Just so you know, mine did that for a month or two after I cleared his flukes. I would monitor it, but I wouldn't worry too much.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, mine did that for a month or two after I cleared his flukes. I would monitor it, but I wouldn't worry too much.
I agree with this^^^

It can also be a side effect from copper. Keep in mind the parasites head for the gills. So there could still be irritation from when the parasites were present causing the scratching.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys...

Quick update.

I’m starting to get worried. Today my scopes Tang woke up like that.

A9A12623-3B15-4571-8EBF-8B4B030AE3E7.jpeg

F7EAE694-C031-434C-AF9A-616B04ADA1BF.jpeg

Yesterday I did a big water change cleaned the hole tank and set the copper to 1.85ppm.

Ammonia still really low.

Anything I should do right away? Could that be due to copper hurting the fish?

Thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys...

Quick update.

I’m starting to get worried. Today my scopes Tang woke up like that.

A9A12623-3B15-4571-8EBF-8B4B030AE3E7.jpeg

F7EAE694-C031-434C-AF9A-616B04ADA1BF.jpeg

Yesterday I did a big water change cleaned the hole tank and set the copper to 1.85ppm.

Ammonia still really low.

Anything I should do right away? Could that be due to copper hurting the fish?

Thanks
When you say ammonia is really low... Is it zero? Ammonia in the slightest can be toxic over time.

Your situation is a bit perplexing, are the white spots on the scopas new? Like he was all clear yesterday?

Or is that debris? I can't tell.

If you are talking about the discoloration I have seen that before in tangs in the presence of copper and it will go away.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say ammonia is really low... Is it zero? Ammonia in the slightest can be toxic over time.

Your situation is a bit perplexing, are the white spots on the scopas new? Like he was all clear yesterday?

Or is that debris? I can't tell.

If you are talking about the discoloration I have seen that before in tangs in the presence of copper and it will go away.

Yes he was clean. Ammonia is 0 according to both redsea and badge from seachem.

The fish was clean yesterday just a little bit of that whiteish coat. One thing that now I've noticed is that the yellow tang now is clean. Blue tang still the same along with my clown.

He's so stressed out that he's literally in front of the power head all the time.

Copperband, Six Line Wrasse, Diamond Goby and Fox Face seems to be fine.

@Just to add up

I also did 25 gallon water change on the 30 gallon matching the copper and temps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost 100% positive that I'm dealing with brook again guys.

Fish are not getting better but worse. Everyday is a new fish with symptoms.

At this point should I do a bath? Rally or Paraguard?

After the bath can they return to copper?

Thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost 100% positive that I'm dealing with brook again guys.

Fish are not getting better but worse. Everyday is a new fish with symptoms.

At this point should I do a bath? Rally or Paraguard?

After the bath can they return to copper?

Thanks
Do you have Metroplex on hand?

I would just add Metroplex to copper tanks. Follow instructions for dosing metro as per manufacturer. You need to do so for 10 days.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back