Is my Trachy dying? Help!

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My trachy appears to be receeding and I'm worried for it.
I originally had it sitting quite high on my rockwork and was doing alright, then moved it to the side a little out of direct light as the LFS said it shouldn't be in high light areas.
It seemed to be doing well for a while, puffing up nicely etc but the last few days it's been acting weird.

First I noticed it seemed to puff in a way that made it look like the centre was no longer a mouth (that there was no crevasse in it). Then I noticed the edges going a bit darker.
I thought maybe it was possibly getting stung by something around it but nothing has ever really been that close. I had a moon coral that was close but it never showed any decent tentacles from it that I thought would reach. The moon coral has since been moved down onto the sand bed a little further away.

On my last check on Sunday.

Salinity - 1.026
Alk - 7.9
Mag - 1245
Calc - 420
Temp - around 25.5 deg celcius

The trachy was looking similar before I dosed on Sunday night with coral essentials (though I'd dosed some probably mid week last week). I haven't checked my parameters again yet after the 2nd dose. (Dosing this has been the main thing that changed in the past week or so and I can't recall if the trachy looked funny before I started).
I hadn't spot fed mysis for a long while, so tonight I gave it some just in case it perhaps hadn't been getting enough food.

Can anyone suggest anything else I should check for or do for it to try and help it ?

Thanks

Current state;
20210413_173006.jpg

Probably a week-ish ago
20210407_174513.jpg

20210406_171431.jpg

Before moonstone went in

20210406_123822.jpg

20210329_175659.jpg

Original placement:

20210227_130347.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be location. Moderate light and water flow
Salinity 1.025
Temp 77-79
Ph 8.1-8.3
Mag 1300
Alk 8-9
Ca 440
Nitrate < .4

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Trachy like to catch big meaty things so the mysis for sure if it is still eating at night. Perhaps it is getting too much flow since it looks like it's damaged on both narrow sides? Too strong of a current and the flesh will get damaged on the sharp skeleton. Personally I like to put them on the bottom of the tank facing up where they will get low/moderate light and flow.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it. It could be getting stung from corals around it at night time maybe when you dont see.
Some of those euphyellias and that favia can be aggressive imo. The fleshy trachy dont stand a chance.
D

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips guys.
Where it's sitting now, that the monstone one has been moved I'm not sure there's anything close enough to it to sting it.
There's a scoly on the ground but there's probably a couple of inches between it.

Glad the mysis was a good move, pretty sure it ate the piece last night. Might give it some more tonight/tomorrow.

Regarding flow the powerhead is over the other side of the tank and not turned up very high at all so I'm not too sure it's that but then again, I'm the newbie here.
If I put it on the bottom I worry the goby will cover it with sand as he likes to do with some of my other corals from time to time.
Should I just move it and deal with the sand as and when the goby loads it up ?

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I moved it into the sand last night, when I picked it up I thought it was done for. It didn't seem to retract and felt quite hard. I tried to feed it some more mysis and it did seem to react and absorb it into itself so thankfully still some level of life there, hopefully it feels better soon and comes back.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back