Is PayPal reliable for scammers

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
I found a guy on Facebook that has an amazing chalice for a decent price. He is giving me the scammer vibes but agreed to use PayPal for payment. I know in the past I’ve used that and if there is an issue with the coral arriving alive or at all PayPal protects the buyer. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience? It’s a $350 coral so not cheap for me. Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is his name and info

Wycliffe Kong'o

Last edited by a moderator:

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
I found a guy on Facebook that has an amazing chalice for a decent price. He is giving me the scammer vibes but agreed to use PayPal for payment. I know in the past I’ve used that and if there is an issue with the coral arriving alive or at all PayPal protects the buyer. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience? It’s a $350 coral so not cheap for me. Any advice would be great.
Thanks.
If you're uncomfortable with the purchase, why take the risk? That's what I would do tbh - dealing with claims is not worth the hassle!

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just worried he will send me a bag of rocks and I will be out $350.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But will they look at what I was purchasing and give a refund or do they just look if the seller shipped me something?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Thanks.
I’ll never trust PayPal on Facebook Marketplace after getting scammed last year. My advice would ask for Zelle or better yet avoid altogether. I haven’t bought from another hobbyist before but if I did I’d feel safer doing it here on R2R.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll never trust PayPal on Facebook Marketplace after getting scammed last year. My advice would ask for Zelle or better yet avoid altogether. I haven’t bought from another hobbyist before but if I did I’d feel safer doing it here on R2R.
That’s funny.
Zelle is waaaayyyy more notorious for scammers than PayPal.
PayPal almost always sides with the buyer even when the seller isn’t in the wrong

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the coral

Attachments

• IMG_3100.png
    IMG_3100.png
    491.4 KB · Views: 73

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t trust Paypal completely. They sometimes side with sellers
Was sold a broken light and tried to get a partial refund and PayPal sided with the seller because it wasn’t broken when he shipped it.

Last edited:

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny.
Zelle is waaaayyyy more notorious for scammers than PayPal.
PayPal almost always sides with the buyer even when the seller isn’t in the wrong
Funny thing is then, I’ve had probs with PayPal in past but never with Zelle . Live and learn I guess

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is then, I’ve had probs with PayPal in past but never with Zelle . Live and learn I guess
Your one experience doesn’t trump the thousands and thousands of Zelle scams that happen.
It’s sooo bad most banks had to directly tell people not to use Zelle and if you do, they have zero recourse.

That’s like the opposite of PayPal which over the years has an almost spotless reputation in comparison

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been my experience as well. Zelle was the only thing the scammer said they would accept. Then I got screwed. So consensus though. Would paypal protect me for this or should I pass?

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your one experience doesn’t trump the thousands and thousands of Zelle scams that happen.
It’s sooo bad most banks had to directly tell people not to use Zelle and if you do, they have zero recourse.

That’s like the opposite of PayPal which over the years has an almost spotless reputation in comparison
I understand that, hence the live and learn. Admittedly I’ve only used Zelle with people I know personally.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a seller PayPal sucks (unless your making them lots of money (see below). I quit selling years ago because 3 months after I sold an item a guy requested a partial refund because the box had been opened. No s$&#t how did he think I took the pictures of the item I had in the listing. They issued the refund but I had drained my PayPal account and removed my bank account so I didn't loose any money (take that PayPal lol)
As far as protecting the buyer that usually works unless it's a larger user that makes them more money. Then they tend to side with the seller. Speaking from experience here.
I don't buy anything from Facebook because I don't use FB but if I did I would only buy if I could do a face to face transaction.
PS: don't let emotions (I want it) cloud your judgment. First intuitions are ussualy right.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back