0   0   0
No it's not. Use PETG

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. PLA is a corn based product that will dissolve with exposure to water over time. It's also known to contain harmful elements.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had stuff printed out of petg in my tank for around 2 years without issue. I've had printed items in my tank in the past that were printed with pla but I switched after reading that it was questionable on whether it's safe or not.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I want to 3d print my ATO out of premium PLA And was wondering if its reef safe say it falls into the tank. Thanks
PLA when totally dissolve if submerged, it’s not a question of if but when. All of that goes into your tank which is no good. My recommendation is to use AbS or PETG.

BadSquishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a 3d printed auto top off with a coke bottle. Will this if left a few inches above the water be ok?
Yes, totally ok. Just to set your mind at ease, PLA is totally nontoxic and is considered a very environmentally friendly plastic. It’s also been researched extensively, here’s a review paper if you’re interested:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a 3d printed auto top off with a coke bottle. Will this if left a few inches above the water be ok?
More than likely it'll be fine, but why not just get some petg. It's nearly as easy to print with and IME gives more structurally sound prints also.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely it'll be fine, but why not just get some petg. It's nearly as easy to print with and IME gives more structurally sound prints also.
My school has a 3D printer for 10 cents per gram. They only got have PLA. They have no intentions on getting the other ones

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My school has a 3D printer for 10 cents per gram. They only got have PLA. They have no intentions on getting the other ones
I think you'll probably be OK in the short term. Just know that it's a bioplastic designed to degrade easily, depending on the manufacturer it's been known to have undesirable impurities, and it's often said to swell when in contact with water. If the filament your school has happens to be listed as PLA + I would avoid it due to the additives.

Last edited:

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use PLA in my tank for test and fit, then print out of PETG for the final version. I've had some PLA stuff in for 6-8 months with out issue. I recently printed a flow diverter for my gyre pump from silk PLA and it's doing fine.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use PLA in my tank for test and fit, then print out of PETG for the final version. I've had some PLA stuff in for 6-8 months with out issue. I recently printed a flow diverter for my gyre pump from silk PLA and it's doing fine.
What's the advantage of doing a test print in pla if you want the item to be petg anyway? Pla is cheaper but it's not by much.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo....PLA is safe?
I think you'll find that the answer to this will always be split down the middle. I personally have PLA printed material in my tank and sump and they have been there, in some cases, for well over a year. Corralline grows over almost all of it over time and seals it right up. From my experience, not only has PLA not degraded but I do not see any negative side effects from any printed items. I also don't think I've ever seen a post that states that a specific issue in someone's tank has directly happened because of PLA degradation and has tests (ICP or otherwise) to prove it. With that being said every tank is different (water chemistry, lighting intensity, filtration, livestock, etc.) so it could very well be that in some tanks PLA would degrade over time and harm the tanks inhabitants. If your dead set on using PLA I would print small parts and test them in the tank monitoring any subtle changes over time. If anything negatively begins to happens over a few weeks/months then perhaps ABS or PETG is the way to go for your tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back