• Not sure...

Votes: 29 6.4%

• Total voters

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
planted tanks are pretty sweet! more work than reef IMO...... just as expensive too- if your into the "shiny things"
For sure not as expensive. Plants are cheap. But the rate of growth on a planted tank is so fast it’s really hard to keep it looking good.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with not sure.

While reefing is great and all, a Tanganyikan specific tank is pretty interesting too. "Lake Tanganyika is the second largest freshwater lake in the world and the second deepest lake of any kind." What I've read is that the lake was deep enough to buffer the effects of the asteroid that took out the dinosaurs, as a result the fish have had a very long time to evolve, similar to saltwater fish.

I wouldn't go larger than 80g on a saltwater reef, but I've always wanted a large Tanganyikan tank, something in the 120g+ range. I might do it when the kids are older and I can reclaim some space currently dominated by toys.

One of my favs:
360911336.jpg

Image Source

The males build a huge volcano type mound out of the sand and "flash" the females lol. They will swim around the top of the mound and lay eggs, then scoop them back up after he does his job. They are mouth brooders.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would likely never set-up a freshwater tank to keep Cichlids or Discus since they require a lot of meddling to keep the water parameters good. I already do that with the reef and I like it.

The retirement dream is to get rid of the reef tank and live on an island surrounded by a reef that I can enjoy without another water change. And if my dream goes big, I will have a Koi pond at my house to keep me engaged with the water kingdom-building itch.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy aquariums in general and have 2 fw puffer tanks. Tbh I'm not a true reefer and def not into planted. My dream would be to have a 300g like waterbox eel island and then a big native full of longer sunfish or a group of peacock bass.

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both! I enjoy aspects of both freshwater and reef keeping. I absolutely my love discus fish as well as freshwater catfish/Plecos, but my reef is the main attraction in the house. After keeping a reef, maintaining water parameters for fresh water seems like a snap!

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and reefing kind of on the side, I'm primarily a catfish enthusiast (If there was a tiny reeef safe catfish no mattere how boring looking you could bet that would be the only fish in my tank! ;Hilarious
For sure not as expensive. Plants are cheap. But the rate of growth on a planted tank is so fast it’s really hard to keep it looking good.
I think that depends on your plant selection, both my tanks are low tech planted tanks and I only have different varieties of java fern, anubias and bucephalandra which all have many different shapes, sizes, a few colours and are very slow growing. Only time it grows out of hand is when I put it off for over 6 months.

I like the overgrown wild look personally, mainly because I know the fish do.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do planted and Reef it is just fun to do both. I never like to box myself in with my aquarium hobby. When the reef system is having issues I can enjoy my planted tank.
I go big in both so my Planted tanks are high tech with the best lighting and Co2 and GHL Profilux and dosing. Just getting ready for a new ADA 120p for my living room and it will be my Fall aquarium project.
my planted tanks are my stress free tanks my reef systems just to increase my stress.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you got out of reefing would you ever consider a planted tank or any other type of aquarium?

978D43D1-E44D-4CB1-937E-9EEAF8647A89.jpeg

Image source
Why would I get out? What did I do wrong? Why don't my corals love me anymore?? Why are you making me think this way!?!?

...ok... maybe I had too much coffee today... ;Smuggrin

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS. And yes, for me, reefing is the only way to fish tank

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have about 20 or so smaller tanks for breeding plecos, corydoras, and some cichlids.
I am also setting up a large reef. Interested in both, but if I had to choose it would be freshwater.

FWIW I am interested in being a better aquarist, and I think being involved in both sides of the hobby will help me become a better aquarist.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back