Is this pinched mantle?

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I’m pretty sure this is pitched mantle, but not entirely sure, as although I’ve kept clams for over a decade, I’ve never had pinched mantle syndrome. There have been no new clams introduced to the tank this year, so I’m not sure how this could have been introduced. Before I do a fresh water dip on this beautiful and very fast growing gigas, I’d appreciate a second opinion. Thoughts, folks?
07905D3A-E5C4-4103-8FAD-2787ABB0ABF1.jpeg

CB00108C-4651-4A53-BC40-C670EB683087.jpeg

I noticed the start of the pinch about 10 days ago, but it looked bad today. There appears to be ‘cheesy strings’ coming from the recession some times. I really don’t want to lose this clam. I got it about 17 months ago at about 1.5” (it was smaller than the three crocea next to it, which have also grown in that time.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the clam today. Better I hope.
Yes and no. The gigas did completely recover, but one of the fish must be attacking the clams, as the Croceas are now being similarly being picked on. As they’re smaller, they are not coping. I still haven’t seen which fish is doing it...

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. The gigas did completely recover, but one of the fish must be attacking the clams, as the Croceas are now being similarly being picked on. As they’re smaller, they are not coping. I still haven’t seen which fish is doing it...
My money is on your Copperband.

OP
OP
R

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My money is on your Copperband.
Pretty sure it’s not the copperband. I’ve narrowed it down to either my powder blue or my whitetail tang, as if I keep a clip of nori permanently in the tank then the clams are left alone. I know CB can have a rep for eating clams though. I’ve been lucky. This is my third over the last 12 years or so. LPS can often be on the menu before clams.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back