Is this the dreaded brown jelly?

FishguyJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the blue my torch has retracted and has a soft gelatinous substance on one end. I'm afraid it might be brown jelly disease? I haven't introduced any new corals recently but am in the process of dosing fluconazole for getting rid of Bryopsis. Also I have been dosing Cal Alk and Mg recently. Could it be that the torch is dying on its own without it being brown jelly? Any thoughts on what next steps are?

PXL_20220728_164457143.MP~2.jpg PXL_20220728_164426895.MP~2.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is The quintessential look of BJD.

Seeing the tissue recession right up to the jelly makes it even more clear.

First up is to get that OUT. shut off all of the flow in your tank, I usually reach in with a Ziploc bag over my hand and cover the coral in it before bringing it out. You don't want that to blow off while you move it.

Frag the affected head off of the greater colony.

Do you have ciprofloxacin on hand?

Look at the flash below the heads of all of your other Euphyllia. Every BJD affected coral I've seen has Started with quick tissue recession.

I've documented a recent run in with BJD where I was able to save one of three heads and had no other transmission across the tank.

Post in thread 'Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) 180G mixed reef' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...tle-time-180g-mixed-reef.807281/post-10363761

OP
OP
FishguyJosh

FishguyJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is The quintessential look of BJD.

Seeing the tissue recession right up to the jelly makes it even more clear.

First up is to get that OUT. shut off all of the flow in your tank, I usually reach in with a Ziploc bag over my hand and cover the coral in it before bringing it out. You don't want that to blow off while you move it.

Frag the affected head off of the greater colony.

Do you have ciprofloxacin on hand?

Look at the flash below the heads of all of your other Euphyllia. Every BJD affected coral I've seen has Started with quick tissue recession.

I've documented a recent run in with BJD where I was able to save one of three heads and had no other transmission across the tank.

Post in thread 'Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) 180G mixed reef' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...tle-time-180g-mixed-reef.807281/post-10363761
Thank you - I do have iodine (Lugol's Solution) on hand but not ciprofloxacin. Is there any trying to save the torch with just isolation and iodine?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - I do have iodine (Lugol's Solution) on hand but not ciprofloxacin. Is there any trying to save the torch with just isolation and iodine?
Do you have any chemiclean? Some that are not able to get cipro have used it with success in place of cipro.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean yes I do have plenty on hand
I do not know how much to add, so you may need to dig around a little to see what the doing is for them in a hospital tank. I saw quite a few post here and there on here in regards to how much to dose and such. Wish I could help more.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got good advice from the above posts but isolate that coral. Run big bag of carbon in your tank. BJD develops when corals are stressed and their immune system compromised. So you have something way off in your tank causing coral stress. I have used ciprofloaxin and chemiclean successfully before with BJD.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back