it this thing worth buying?

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have that tool, but its not that much more difficult to drill without it. However, if you have the money, its not that bad of an investment, but its not necessary

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just cut a hole in a piece of wood with a hole saw then clamp it to the tank.

The thickness of the wood will be your guide...

jtarmitage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you drill without it?..............yes.

Will it make things easier?...........yes.

It really depends on the value it holds for you. I just use a couple of strips of tape on the tank to keep the drill from drifting.

OP
OP
G

Gimili the Great

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input i am going to buy it just so i can do it right the first time, i dont want ruin my tank first time out the gate.

can someone help me with some ideas i am having for the closed loop set up i am planning on doing? if so you can pm me and i will ask you there

as my first time around no one seemed to know or want to help

thanks in advance

OP
OP
G

Gimili the Great

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i would just rather have the right tool for the job, as i dont have lumber laying around so i would still have to spend money

but any info/help on the closed loop set up would be awesome

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to buy it, look around before you do. It is a common tool. You can probably find something just like it at home depot or lowes. If you happen to have a harbor freight around, they probably have one there too. You'll save on shipping and most likely the price too. Just ask for a drill guide.

You can drill the hole with out it.

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came from Sears 20+ years ago....just remember when you drill glass, go VERY SLOW and have plenty of water flowing across the cut to keep it cool and to flush the micro glass dust it will generate. I personally prefer to go outside and actually have a hose on low, flowing across the drill site the entire time I drill....and in case I didn't make it clear...GO SLOW!!!!

If you push the drill even a little bit you will be risking disaster....

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its nice but not needed, i have drilled more then 10 holes with out one. its very easy. i usely start off by cutting only a small notch on the bottom part of the bit at around 40 degrees and slowly work it up and cut the whole circle. its too hard to try and cut the hole at one time but with a notch its very easy. that adaptor is nice but like i said not needed.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say its worth it. It can be done without it but would make it muck easier to start the hole.

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came from Sears 20+ years ago....just remember when you drill glass, go VERY SLOW and have plenty of water flowing across the cut to keep it cool and to flush the micro glass dust it will generate. I personally prefer to go outside and actually have a hose on low, flowing across the drill site the entire time I drill....and in case I didn't make it clear...GO SLOW!!!!

If you push the drill even a little bit you will be risking disaster....

another option instead of using a hose for water flow would be to use plumbers putty and make a circle around the hole you are cutting. Then you just fill it with water and go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back