Its been a while!

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been about 4 years since I moved and tore down my tanks. Sold the 100 gallon and the 30 is just a freshwater with my daughters fair gold fish.
But I'm back! Here we go!

40 breeder build.
20 long sump
Reef octopus 150 (proly overkill)
Reef keeper controller
Some type of return lol (I'll have to look)
2x hydor powerheads
1 jeabo micro powerhead for random flow
And the light is a black box led

Just bought drill bits to drill for overflow. This will be my first drill. But the kit didnt come with the 45mm instead a 50mm. So not sure if I should just drill the overflow for two 3/4 bulkheads and a 1/2 return. Anyone have ideas on this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well it's been about 4 years since I moved and tore down my tanks. Sold the 100 gallon and the 30 is just a freshwater with my daughters fair gold fish.
But I'm back! Here we go!

40 breeder build.
20 long sump
Reef octopus 150 (proly overkill)
Reef keeper controller
Some type of return lol (I'll have to look)
2x hydor powerheads
1 jeabo micro powerhead for random flow
And the light is a black box led

Just bought drill bits to drill for overflow. This will be my first drill. But the kit didnt come with the 45mm instead a 50mm. So not sure if I should just drill the overflow for two 3/4 bulkheads and a 1/2 return. Anyone have ideas on this?
3/4” with A 1/2” return is fine BUT assure the return pump has adequate hog output to pump water as fast as it’s coming into sump or you’re going to have high water level in tank and sump

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is done. Stand is put together. Although I wouldnt recommend this stand for reef keeping. It was my wife only request. There is only 1 door that's right in the middle and 12 inches. It will work but not ideal. You could always turn it around and put doors on the back. Its pretty much wide open.

Anyways I'm not sure if I want to use the heater. I might get a smaller one. It will be ran by the reef keeper so not worried there. I'm just not sure if it's good to lay it on the rock in the sump.

I ordered the bulkheads. I went with 3/4 for overflow and return. My thinking is that I will be doing a turf scrubber and will just T off the return line for it. Otherwise here some pics. Any ideas or options are always welcome. Again it's been about 4 years since I've done this. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220103_123558.jpg
    20220103_123558.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220103_124428.jpg
    20220103_124428.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220103_124845.jpg
    20220103_124845.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 68

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sump is done. Stand is put together. Although I wouldnt recommend this stand for reef keeping. It was my wife only request. There is only 1 door that's right in the middle and 12 inches. It will work but not ideal. You could always turn it around and put doors on the back. Its pretty much wide open.

Anyways I'm not sure if I want to use the heater. I might get a smaller one. It will be ran by the reef keeper so not worried there. I'm just not sure if it's good to lay it on the rock in the sump.

I ordered the bulkheads. I went with 3/4 for overflow and return. My thinking is that I will be doing a turf scrubber and will just T off the return line for it. Otherwise here some pics. Any ideas or options are always welcome. Again it's been about 4 years since I've done this. Thanks
I noticed that several pieces of your rubble in the sump have frag holes in them. You should keep them on the top of the pile in case you want to use them for a garden of some sort.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there are a few in there that were made for frags and I wasnt sure where to put them yet but will make sure they are near the top so I can get to them easily. I also have a rack to use too. I still have a bunch of totes to go through and see what else I can use. It's like Christmas when I find something I dont remember having lol

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my bulkheads yesterday. Will be drilling the return this weekend. Have to wait to do overflow since I don't have a box or weir yet. Still trying to figure that out. But baby steps

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have the plasti dip I was gona use for the back. But i still don't know if I'm completely sold on using anything inside the tank. Just looking at options atm

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! I have the plasti dip I was gona use for the back. But i still don't know if I'm completely sold on using anything inside the tank. Just looking at options atm
We used craft paint for the back. It's easily removed if you want to change the color ever.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now just letting the tank dry so I can paint the back, install bulkheads and silicone the overflow on.
Just remember that once the overflow is attached you won't be able to adjust the height. Where the water level sits is going to have to be adjusted by adjusting the return pump flow.

OP
OP
xcountryx

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that once the overflow is attached you won't be able to adjust the height. Where the water level sits is going to have to be adjusted by adjusting the return pump flow.
Thanks! I cut the weir combs to right at the bottom of the black brace hoping to keep water level just above it. Would that be right?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back