OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I really need to find me a new skimmer too. Something I havent tried. Just not sure. Might just do the peg leg. Really nice skimmer.

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great mojo. I am getting ready to set up a 75g mixed reef so I am following along closely and learning all I can...easier to copy than reinvent :)

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, All is going just great.

I am really thinking about modding my ATI sunpower. Thinking about pulling two bulbs and putting in leds in those two locations. I would leave the t5 hardware in. That way I could make it original again. The cooling on ATI t5 fixtures is great. So I shouldbe able to maybe ad two strips of 12 or 18 leds . for a total of 24 or 36. just depends on drivers. If I want to go with 2 or 3.

J&O'sdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am interested. I thought about doing that with my power module but the wife reminded my of how much $ I spent on it.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, I like the clean look of the fixtures. I was going to add 2 reefbrites strips. I love the color. 3 problems. It adds more par than I need, I dont want to mount them to the outside of the fixture really, and its a $400 upgrade.

Now I could get the 30 in versions and pull out two refelctors. But I am still looking at $400.

If I get some aluminum C channel or square tube I coule mount those in place of the reflectors. I would want it to look clean. If I went with 2 rows of 12 cree royal blue leds, 2 meanwell drives and paste I am looking at about $150. So Ill have to do some measuring. More to come.

Still looking at skimmers as well.
I am down to a seaside aquatics cs2 an Avast pegleg ,or atb 840. We will see if anything else used comes up here soon.

This build has been great so far. Not trying to buy the most expensive of everything. But really the best bang for your buck type items.

Mojo~

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the 6 x39 ATI? Are you happy with the coverage on a 48" tank? Do you have a picture of how you hung your lights?

I have 3 stunner strips I use for moonlights with my ATI and I was trying to figure out a way to add more to get some of that shimmer with my new set up. I love the idea of taking out a bulb and adding the lights inside the fixture. Couldn't you just replace the bulb with a couple of strips? Would you have to remove the reflectors?

I bought the CS skimmer at your recommendation and it has been great. I went with the CS2 instead of the CS1 because I got a good deal and wanted to be able to feed my fish worry free.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great. glad you like the skimmer. The sea side skimmers are really nice. ITs basically a cross between a bubble magus and a ATB. But will all the goodies and great pumps.

I am thinking of the reefbrite strips still as they will be easy to resell later on if need be. Ill have to measure.

I am using the 4x39 on the 75g. it has great coverage. i honestly think the 4xt5's are great for 18 wide tanks and the 6 bulbs are great for 24 in wide tanks. TheATI fixtures with good bulbs really put out some serious light. Going down to the lfs here in a minute to see how long the lights actually are. and Ill go from there.

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear what you find.

Are you planning on keeping lots of SPS? I was thinking the same thing about 4 bulbs being enough coverage on an 18" tank but wasn't sure if it was enough for SPS. If so, this would allow me to replace the two end bulbs with some LED's and still maintain spectrum and par. hmmm....

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have sps, Blue tort, Ultimate stag, Ponape birdsnest, Birds of paradice, Yellow tort, Superman monti, rainbow monti, sunset monti, forest fire digi, tyree setosa, ect...

all doing well I am running a 6500, geismann super actinic and 2 ati blue plus.

pleanty of par and still enough lower light areas for zoo acans and chalices.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.Well Ijust sold my back up skimmer yesterday. I went from 3 skimmers to 0. So I have to make up my mind here asap....

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked threw all of this! great build, vrey well put together! Find another new skimmer to do a review on!! lol

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I am getting kind of anxious. Would like to order something tonight. So I could have it the end of the week.
Right now I am looking at the

avats tpeg leg
sea side cs2
vertex in 180
reef dynamics in 135

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even an old warner marine as 150 would be great.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the vertex 180 your talking about is the same one ill be receiving on tuesday from the last contest the did ;)

but will be while before i get it up and running, but what i looked and found on it the vertex's are great skimmers!!

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have had the vertex in 100 gen 1, gen 2, gen3 and the in 180 gen 2.Also the alpha 170 and 250. So I have a little history with them. But i am undescided. I can get a great price on them.

Also thinking about a jns sk2. Always like the quality of jns products. Those not familiar. JNS made the old Warner Marine skimmers..

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Socaltropicalfishoutlet.com has the Vertex skimemrs on a great sale right now. Thats why I am thinking about the 180. its only $199 !!!! The 180 is really nicely balanced too. I had one and know it is great but I have a hard time buying something I already had. Well I am hoping to have something ordered tonight or tomorrow.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok a little more research into the reefbrites fitting in the ATI fixture. If you remove the reflector the reefbrite is 1 and 1/16 tall and thre is 1 and 3/16" clearance. So it will be tight but they should fit inside the acrylic shield. The length inside is about 34" inside the endcaps for the t5 bulbs. So I would have to go with the 30" reefbrites. The tech series uses 18 leds and the Xho series uses 24. So if I could get at least the tech ones I think it would be great. But the techs are about $219 each and the xho are around $259. So we will see...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back