Jack-O-Lantern Lepto Coral

MermaidTail

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2016
Messages
532
Reaction score
356
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - I have a Jack-O-Lantern Lepto that I've had for about 10 months now, the growth is outstanding- it's spreading like crazy...but the color isn't recognizable at a Jack-O-Lantern. No green eyes, no contrasting colors...it almost just looks like standard red/orange lepto's I've seen. Even when I first got it (it was shipped to me), the green eyes were very faint, nothing like what I've seen online.

Bulletpoints...

- I have a little 6g Edge reef (tank thread here) that's over a year old and things are growing/coloring great.

- No other growth/color issues in the tank (a variety of coral types) except this color bummer on my lepto.

- I follow the whole - "don't dose what you can't test for" thinking, so I don't know my specific readings on levels other than the main vitals.

Hoping there's an experienced reefer out there who can offer thoughts? Have you seen this before? Great growth but lackluster color? Maybe I was sold a bum lepto that's not actually a Jack?

Thanks in advance!
 
I have a jack. If memory serves me, not enough light cause a lack of green eyes. In fact, lower light leads to it spreading more, and higher light causes less spreading but more green eyes.
 
I love Leptoseris, encrusting corals of all sorts, really.

I'd try moving it up in the water column, a bit more light... if that doesn't bring it out, perhaps a change in flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new