Jebao return pump... DC, DCT, DCP, or DCS

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO Varios DC would be a step up in quality and product support. Prices are very reasonable. Worth a look at least.
Yes. The Reef Octopus Varios 2 DC pump is what I replaced the Jebao unit with. It is extremely quiet and works really nice on my 90 gal tank. Highly recommend. But the cost is almost triple the Jebao for a similar size unit.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The Reef Octopus Varios 2 DC pump is what I replaced the Jebao unit with. It is extremely quiet and works really nice on my 90 gal tank. Highly recommend. But the cost is almost triple the Jebao for a similar size unit.
Yeah cost is a factor for now. I'm just finishing up nursing school and do not make much money yet. So I just need to my reef addiction to a minimum [emoji23]

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 4000 DCS/DCT. Been running for over a year, no issues. Never cleaned it, never had any problems starting it back up.

They're cheap for a reason.. you're taking a bit of a gamble. To me, it's well worth it. You could buy a handful of these pumps for the same price as the next cheapest DC controllable return pump.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah cost is a factor for now. I'm just finishing up nursing school and do not make much money yet. So I just need to my reef addiction to a minimum [emoji23]
Doctor/Nurse "heal thy self" from this addiction. It only gets worse as you get older. LOL
You'd probably be fine with the Jebao. Very powerful pump.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm hooked lol
I've decided to go with the Jebao. Just need to figure out if I should go with an older DCT 4000 or newer DCP 5000

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if this will help, but I was using the DCT4000 on a 90 gal and it was plenty of power. All most too much when turned up all the way. I mean man, it really pushed the water at the highest setting. Cheers! Happy Friday!

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just looked on Amazon and they are still selling the DCT line as of today 8/4/2017. So to me it was and still is the most current available pump that I bought back in March of this year 2017.

Yep, there are a lot of sellers still selling older ones... eBay is another place with older models also. I've owned a few of them a DCT and DCP... the DCP was a pretty significant upgrade in performance. I never had a issue with either and to my knowledge, both of them are still working great.

puffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older DC and have a problem with it re-starting after the power goes out, the new ones might have corrected this problem.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a ton of return pumps. I used to swear by eheim and then by the Tunze Silence models. I love my dcp 5000 and wish I went with one sooner. So twice a year maintenance and you'll be fine.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially true with pumps, you generally get what you pay for. Brand names earn their name for a reason for the most part.

Pumps cost a lot when they have to meticulously balance the fast spinning impeller in the housing. Better balancing, less mass imbalanced causing noise producing vibrations. Additionally you gain efficiency because you're not wasting energy to the spinning assembly bouncing the pump mass up and down and instead that energy is being put into moving water.

There are things that I will make myself, and there are the things that I will buy. I will not buy an Apex. But I will buy a vectra ;)

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DCP is the newer model. I got mine on Amazon same day delivery. It is FAR more powerful that my similarly rated Tunze silence at less wattage.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell I can deal with that. The 40 breeder will be a temp tank until I move. So it will probably only be set up for maybe a year Max
Yeah, I only ran it 1.5yr on the 120g because I broke down the tank. Health issues led to a tank downsize, but didn't hesitate to use one again on the new build.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the DP-6500 on my 40 breeder for about 2 1/2 months with no problems. I have it set on about 40% and there is very little noise. I take issue with all of these people that say their pumps are silent as silent means no noise at all and I have never seen a pump that is silent. Off the soapbox and back on track, 2 1/2 months is certainly not a long term test but so far i am very happy with it.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people on this forum run them. There are actually enough people run them here that makes me feel comfortable to buy three of these pumps. But like most of us do I have spare pumps just in case they fail.

ccerone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had restart issues with every quiet one pump I have ever own. Switch to DCP 6000 6 months ago and it always restarts after feed mode. I did buy 2 just in case.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DCS-3000 running for 1.5 years now without issues. Zero maintenance, zero cleaning. Very silent. It is running at one of the lowest speeds for a 2o gallon nano reef tank. I think that it probably satisfy the need of a tank up to 40 gallons with the higher speed setting. Around $70 on Amazon. I think it is a very good deal.

Having said that, I'm knocking on wood and thinking about buying a spare one to keep handy. Just saw that there is a DCP model now. Anyone has it?

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two DCP 5000s which are awesome. I keep one as a spare but the other has been running issue free for a year.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I currently have a DCS3000 in my 20 gallon tank. Second setting. Wonder if the 5000 lowest setting will be too much.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, it’s on a 90 gallon. At max I get about 450 gph. Not sure what the lower setting do. If I remember correctly, 50 percent or so had me around 300gph.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back