minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your system is awesome!!
Thanks! It's starting to get there, slowly. I just spent an hour cleaning the glass of coralline algae that's been growing. It just started to take off in the past week or two and I didn't have enough time to clean it up. Next time, I won't wait so long, but it was a good workout. I still need to do a proper update, maybe this weekend?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this thread, I love the stand and floating canopy. How did the aquascape turn out?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just read through this thread, I love the stand and floating canopy. How did the aquascape turn out?

Well, I'm still working it out. My work schedule has prevented me from doing any serious work on the tank and a few things are slipping by me, which I'm not too happy about. But here's a pic I took a while back when I saw the tank with the lights on.
d06c894e21dfdea943d9c53b0ff4e32f.jpg

MgSullivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet build! Someday I hope to have a similar shape tank. Your is perfect

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
awesome build! i dont know how i missed this one!

why did you add the t5s in addition to the kessils?
Thanks! I'm trying to find the right height for the canopy and wanted to make sure I had enough bounce from the glass for the sides of the tank. I'm not sure if I'll keep them long-term, but they help until I figure everything out. Also, they're only on for 4hrs.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is looking very well!!! Love the the measurements of the tank! Solid build! How are you liking the Triton method @minus9?

Thanks! I really like Triton so far. I started out with "other methods"(based on my refugium size)and recently switched to the "full" Triton method. I find that alk, ca and mg are really stable and I haven't had any salinity issues.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9111484b10e0df354746ed039c6bcf5c.jpg

This is not something I wanted to see happen. IM aqua gadget feeder magnet rusted. I only used this to hold my airline in place in my water change bucket once a week. Anyone else see this happen?

This is interesting. I'm fighting a high Tin issue and I found you mentioned your ICP results showed high Tin as well. I also use one of these aqua feeders gadgets but I don't see separation like in your case. I wonder if these gadgets are the source of the Tin?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is interesting. I'm fighting a high Tin issue and I found you mentioned your ICP results showed high Tin as well. I also use one of these aqua feeders gadgets but I don't see separation like in your case. I wonder if these gadgets are the source of the Tin?

Tin can also come from PVC as well. I never left this in my tank, but only really used it in the bucket of freshly mixed salt to hold the air line. I would inspect it closely and keep an eye out for any separation.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, so I've tried get to Triton to work with my tank, both "other methods", then the full version core7 and I haven't been successful. All tests come back without any major issues, so I'm not sure what's going on, but enough is enough. I'm going back to old school methods and adding a Geo calcium reactor. I need to start growing sticks and not throwing out white skeletons. There were too many variables with how Triton is meant to work, that I'm done guessing. I'll keep my GHL doser and maybe use Red Sea Trace colors, if needed? I don't think that I've ever struggled with a tank before like I have with this one? I'm sure there are plenty of tanks out there running Triton, but mine won't be one any more. I like the idea and the concept, but the results are too inconsistent for me.
So I'm going with a Geo CR618 (adding a second chamber later on), custom dual stage co2 regulator built by Alan Le and a masterflex pump. Hopefully I can start posting pix of growing, thriving coral soon?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I've tried get to Triton to work with my tank, both "other methods", then the full version core7 and I haven't been successful. All tests come back without any major issues, so I'm not sure what's going on, but enough is enough. I'm going back to old school methods and adding a Geo calcium reactor. I need to start growing sticks and not throwing out white skeletons. There were too many variables with how Triton is meant to work, that I'm done guessing. I'll keep my GHL doser and maybe use Red Sea Trace colors, if needed? I don't think that I've ever struggled with a tank before like I have with this one? I'm sure there are plenty of tanks out there running Triton, but mine won't be one any more. I like the idea and the concept, but the results are too inconsistent for me.
So I'm going with a Geo CR618 (adding a second chamber later on), custom dual stage co2 regulator built by Alan Le and a masterflex pump. Hopefully I can start posting pix of growing, thriving coral soon?

You are by no means the first tank I have seen walk away from triton and you won't be the last, get before and after pics of the corals for your reference.
I hope the change goes well for you. :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Triton is just not meant for everyone.
Balling or a good calcium reactor are still preferred options.
Good luck.

Back