Just a quick update since June...

Baebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Texas, everyone! I just wanted to do a bit of an update post since a lot has happened since the last few times I've posted lol. If anyone has any advise for me, it eould be much appreciated! Idk if this will take very long or not but here we go!
So I started reefing in May of this year. I (ignorantly if I might add) started out with a 10g. Surprisingly it went really well despite the unforgiving size! To make this a little shorter, I'll just skip all of the mistakes and my learning process lol and jump to now.
I now have a 25g and a 5g (the 5g is being prepared for sexy shrimp!) and I'd say things are going pretty well besides a reallyyy bad flat worm outbreak in both tanks. Stocking wise, I have a misbar clownfish, a hawkfish and a green banded goby (along with a bunch of mostly euphillia corals and a few zoas that are trying to survive my emerald crab) in the 25g. I'm think the flatworm problem is coming from my feeding habits... at least in the 25. I feed a mix of different frozen food but mostly frozen mysis. My hawkfish is a big pig but tents to completely miss all of the smaller bits, leaving them to float around at the bottom. I do have a bunch of cleaner snail dudes but idk how much they're actually doing their jobs...
As for the 5g, I only have corals, cleaner snails and a tinyy 6 line wrasse in hopes he'll eat the flatworms. Which he is, cuz he constantly has a big belly (I don't feed him anything else) and the flatworms seem to be slowly disappearing. I know the tank size isn't suitable for him so I plan on taking him back to the lfs once I get the flatworms under control a bit better. I'm also thinking of taking the hawkfish back because I can't ever seem to feed him enough... any tips on that aspect?
Anyways, thank you for reading everything! Let me know what you think! I'll include some videos I took not too long ago too:) (the little goby guy in the video tho is now in the 25g, not the 5 anymore.. he's with the big boys now)

Attachments

• VID_62591126_015721_846.mp4
    23.6 MB
  • VID_62591126_140452_262.mp4
    11.7 MB

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re off to a good start overall! I like the idea of the 5g for a sexy shrimp. I’ve never treated flatworms so hopefully someone with that experience will chime in. What’s your ultimate goal for the 25? Any specific plans for coral or fish? Also, I stopped with the emerald crabs because they wouldn’t leave my coral alone. I’ve only got hermits and snails in my tank now and the corals are much happier. Good luck!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Texas, everyone! I just wanted to do a bit of an update post since a lot has happened since the last few times I've posted lol. If anyone has any advise for me, it eould be much appreciated! Idk if this will take very long or not but here we go!
So I started reefing in May of this year. I (ignorantly if I might add) started out with a 10g. Surprisingly it went really well despite the unforgiving size! To make this a little shorter, I'll just skip all of the mistakes and my learning process lol and jump to now.
I now have a 25g and a 5g (the 5g is being prepared for sexy shrimp!) and I'd say things are going pretty well besides a reallyyy bad flat worm outbreak in both tanks. Stocking wise, I have a misbar clownfish, a hawkfish and a green banded goby (along with a bunch of mostly euphillia corals and a few zoas that are trying to survive my emerald crab) in the 25g. I'm think the flatworm problem is coming from my feeding habits... at least in the 25. I feed a mix of different frozen food but mostly frozen mysis. My hawkfish is a big pig but tents to completely miss all of the smaller bits, leaving them to float around at the bottom. I do have a bunch of cleaner snail dudes but idk how much they're actually doing their jobs...
As for the 5g, I only have corals, cleaner snails and a tinyy 6 line wrasse in hopes he'll eat the flatworms. Which he is, cuz he constantly has a big belly (I don't feed him anything else) and the flatworms seem to be slowly disappearing. I know the tank size isn't suitable for him so I plan on taking him back to the lfs once I get the flatworms under control a bit better. I'm also thinking of taking the hawkfish back because I can't ever seem to feed him enough... any tips on that aspect?
Anyways, thank you for reading everything! Let me know what you think! I'll include some videos I took not too long ago too:) (the little goby guy in the video tho is now in the 25g, not the 5 anymore.. he's with the big boys now)
I treated flatworms but it was in a 120g tank (4’x2’x2’) and that was with Halichoeres wrasses, I think pink streaks do it but it wouldn’t be suitable long term.

OP
OP
Baebae

Baebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re off to a good start overall! I like the idea of the 5g for a sexy shrimp. I’ve never treated flatworms so hopefully someone with that experience will chime in. What’s your ultimate goal for the 25? Any specific plans for coral or fish? Also, I stopped with the emerald crabs because they wouldn’t leave my coral alone. I’ve only got hermits and snails in my tank now and the corals are much happier. Good luck!
Well actually, I'm planning to move abroad within a year... and I cant take the 25 with me:( I have someone who will take it and keep it up for me while I'm abroad (thankfully woth more experience than I do lol) so I don't really have any solid plans cuz I don't want to think that far ahead. Eventually, when I know I"ll be staying somewhere for a while, I'd like to give dragonets a try (cuz they're my favorite fish) but I know thats a bit more difficult.
Anyways, the emerald isn't too bad lol as long as I feed him separately. If he gets too bad tho, i have no qualms about giving him back to the lfs. Thank you for the support!! I appreciate it:)

OP
OP
Baebae

Baebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated flatworms but it was in a 120g tank (4’x2’x2’) and that was with Halichoeres wrasses, I think pink streaks do it but it wouldn’t be suitable long term.
Thank you! I'm thinking of putting my 6 line wrasse in there cuz I know for sure it eats them, but I already have the hawkfish in there so I'm scared that might be a bit too much...

Back