Just pulled the trigger… LETS GOOOOOOO!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix foxfaces. I do it all the time at the store.
The are different species of Heniochus, the most common pick at coral
The file fish may also pick at coral
The puffer is like a puppy won't eat coral but certainly can kill coral.

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix foxfaces. I do it all the time at the store.
The are different species of Heniochus, the most common pick at coral
The file fish may also pick at coral
The puffer is like a puppy won't eat coral but certainly can kill coral.
Ahhh see this is what i need thank you! I wasn’t stressing the file fish I just heard they’re good to have but I guess since my setup would be new he’s not necessary. The puffer shouldn’t have been there I learned he may not be a good beginner fish. You made my day with the fox faces though! THANKS!!

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in PA…. I arbritrarily selected a 6 stage rodi unit from BRS. is that really needed though? should I have my water tested? What type of rodi do you guys use? I’d hate to by am “overkill” unit thats not really needed. Maybe there’s equally good units elsewhere or are the brs units well priced? Thoughts?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in PA…. I arbritrarily selected a 6 stage rodi unit from BRS. is that really needed though? should I have my water tested? What type of rodi do you guys use? I’d hate to by am “overkill” unit thats not really needed. Maybe there’s equally good units elsewhere or are the brs units well priced? Thoughts?
I'm also in PA and use the 6 stage. One of the carbons ideally would be one that can remove chloramines since a lot of places are switching from Chlorine to Chloramine. BRS is actually a huge retailer of RODI units and is a good place to purchase they are all standard sizes with the exception of the commercial units and to Ro Buddy.

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in PA and use the 6 stage. One of the carbons ideally would be one that can remove chloramines since a lot of places are switching from Chlorine to Chloramine. BRS is actually a huge retailer of RODI units and is a good place to purchase they are all standard sizes with the exception of the commercial units and to Ro Buddy.
Perfect! That’s the unit I plan on ordering them it’s a 6 stage 75 gph unit. I’ll order it tonight.

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I had an acrylic 180g back in the day. Make sure you know the dangers of algae scrappers with acrylic, most will say acrylic safe, but they really aren't. Original Magic Erasers are your friend :)
That’s what my research has shown as well. I definitely plan on using the Original magic erasers. What are your thoughts on Mag Floats and sleeves from champion lighting ? They’re supposed to be specific for acrylic and My tank is 3/4” thick

Last edited:

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what my research has shown as well. I definitely plan on using the Original magic erasers. What are your thoughts on Mag Floats and sleeves from champion lighting ? They’re supposed to be specific for acrylic and My tank is 3/4” thick
I've never liked mag floats personally. I've just used tunze algae scrapper and cut a magic eraser to fit and put it in between the scrapper and glass and it worked out well for me.

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tangs, and you say its likely to many...LOL!!!

This is my Tang Gang!!! This isn't including my Tomini Tang.

20210724_102715.jpg
Haha I’m new so I’m super conservative looking at your gang I’ll start dreaming bigger soon

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s a sketch of the tank! I wanted a bean animal style drain but returns plumbed through the back. I was too afraid of a coast to coast overflow. There will be a feed opening cut into the tank with an acrylic lid covering the whole thing. Now I need to figure out Plumbimg so I can start accumulating supplies. Does anyone have a setup like this? Should I start configuring a return set up that is plumbed into the return pump and then split off? I’m pretty good with plumbing but what do y’all think?

Attachments

• 347535BE-5BE7-476F-901E-321434B18378.jpeg
    347535BE-5BE7-476F-901E-321434B18378.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 49

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations and welcome to the hobby! Wishing you good luck as well. Jumping into the deep end with a 210! Sounds like you are patient, which is a very good trait in this hobby.
You mentioned an acrylic cover. Will this be a solid cover or will it have a mesh screen? Only reason I ask is my own experience having a solid cover was brief and not great. I quickly realized that the cover grew algae and collected salt creep and condensation in no time. I think BRS measured a 30% reduction in PAR as well. When I started out, I came from having freshwater tanks for 15 years. Not having a cover made no sense to me, but I quickly learned. Eventually I built diy screen kits from BRS. I lost a wrasse and a long nose hawkish due to jumping so I knew I needed something. Haven't decided on what I'm doing in my new 130. Either will do DD screen kit or get something made.
I live in NJ and have well water, but I grew up in NE Philly. I think the 6 stage RO is the way to go!

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this build, Jonathan! What was it that drew you to the acrylic? I spent a lot of time with that decision and am just curious.

Your daughter is precious. Love seeing a dad so proud of his daughter.
Thanks she’s my heart! For the cost versus a sapphire tank I love the clarity and especially the weight. At this size I found better deals with acrylic. Those were the 2 primary reasons. Concern about scratches can be mitigated in my opinion with car and acrylic specific tools and techniques

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations and welcome to the hobby! Wishing you good luck as well. Jumping into the deep end with a 210! Sounds like you are patient, which is a very good trait in this hobby.
You mentioned an acrylic cover. Will this be a solid cover or will it have a mesh screen? Only reason I ask is my own experience having a solid cover was brief and not great. I quickly realized that the cover grew algae and collected salt creep and condensation in no time. I think BRS measured a 30% reduction in PAR as well. When I started out, I came from having freshwater tanks for 15 years. Not having a cover made no sense to me, but I quickly learned. Eventually I built diy screen kits from BRS. I lost a wrasse and a long nose hawkish due to jumping so I knew I needed something. Haven't decided on what I'm doing in my new 130. Either will do DD screen kit or get something made.
I live in NJ and have well water, but I grew up in NE Philly. I think the 6 stage RO is the way to go!
Thanks for responding to the thread! I’m placing my order for the 6 stage today. According to the fabricator it’ll be a solid piece now I’m wondering if I should have him leave it out never thought of algae on the cover!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back