OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little while but in an effort to cut cost, and justify my large collection of tools lol, bought the materials for my fish tank stand! Could’ve bought one but while I wait for the tank what’s wrong with a little fun?!?

6A6E528D-AE8C-4FF8-94A1-4E9E891F4018.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo it’s been a little while since I’ve posted. I’ve taken on completely redoing my basement in anticipation of the tank coming in! So guess what……. It’s been shipped! No I’m totally in overdrive to get painting done . So let me know, since I went with a black backing for the tank itself should I paint the wall a darker color? What kind of paint should I use? I will have a dehumidifier running constantly and the tank itself will be covered but I want to make extra sure I’m not setting myself up for water issues on that wall. Can’t wait to hear from everyone! When I get home I’ll show pics of the basement so far!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo it’s been a little while since I’ve posted. I’ve taken on completely redoing my basement in anticipation of the tank coming in! So guess what……. It’s been shipped! No I’m totally in overdrive to get painting done . So let me know, since I went with a black backing for the tank itself should I paint the wall a darker color? What kind of paint should I use? I will have a dehumidifier running constantly and the tank itself will be covered but I want to make extra sure I’m not setting myself up for water issues on that wall. Can’t wait to hear from everyone! When I get home I’ll show pics of the basement so far!
Hi Jonathan, exciting congrats!!! I live in Arizona it’s dry here. Your basement moisture issues there, is it just moisture? water doesn’t drip from the ceiling does it? My tank here loses a gallon a day, I wish it was less but I don’t think moisture issues for you and your tank should be an issue. I’d be interested to here what others say who have basements. Also had my back glass painted black, love it. A simple water based paint from Home Depot should do I would think. Keep posting! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jonathan, exciting congrats!!! I live in Arizona it’s dry here. Your basement moisture issues there, is it just moisture? water doesn’t drip from the ceiling does it? My tank here loses a gallon a day, I wish it was less but I don’t think moisture issues for you and your tank should be an issue. I’d be interested to here what others say who have basements. Also had my back glass painted black, love it. A simple water based paint from Home Depot should do I would think. Keep posting! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Thanks and happy thanksgiving to you and yours! My basement stay pretty dry. Never had an issue with dripping water. Here in the northeast I use my dehumidifier as a means of temp control as well. I’m thinking I’ll be fine with my dehumidifier especially since the tank will be covered as well as the sump. Love to hear what others think though!

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! In the room where I had my 65g, the walls are red. After breaking down the tank over the weekend I spent last night wiping down the walls. Covered with salt creep from splashes and drips.
My new tank is in a room with much lighter walls and and dried splashes will not be that noticeable. Plus I am hoping that the WB just won't splash as much.
With the old tank I didn't have a check valve in the return so the water level always went below the return nozzle when the pump shut off. Then when the pump turned on it splashed a lot. The WB has a check valve and it's less of a mess.
I also agree with running a dehumidifier. Though I may see if I can do without over the winter. Basement is warm and dry during the winter months.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait for the pictures from all the excitement :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi congrats, i cannot tell you what color,but would use higher end Behr marquee, eggshell finish .
2 coats on tank wall.
looking forward to seeing new tank... :)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put on 2 coats of polyurethane and a 3rd coat where the tank is. I had salt damage there so I hope this will protect the walls.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a very good idea. I had to use a coat of primer and 3 coats of paint. Might have been 4. At the time I didn't know anything about reef tanks. I recall it being difficult to get good coverage with the red. I can imagine the salt damaging the walls. Extra precautions sound like a good idea.

OP
OP
Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo 4 coats of exterior mildew resistant paint later and here we have it. I’m also thinking of adding another 20 amp circuit if i ever have future need. Right now I have just one 20 amp breaker for everything. I have an outlet in the ceiling for lights and two outlets in floor level.

79309282-B616-4EA8-931A-411DA84B0B75.jpeg 77E35DB9-95BE-4491-B4CD-F6B8EE5DBE6F.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%

Back