Just upgraded tank. Canister filter overflow.

Bparrott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90c8cd66fd9a1872b65db059ff8bab38.jpg

So this is the progression build for my past 24 hrs. This is my little 2 years old 30 gallon next to a freshly setup 110. My 30 has had a deep sand bed since the beginning and I’ve never disturbed it. That was one of the main reasons why I was switching tank, and the fact that I got a predrilled 75g for 75$.

So I come straight home from work. Hot and sweaty with a little bit of a sunburn I decided now was the time. Well as soon as I got there it’s started to rain. Not that big of a deal except the tank and stand we’re outside
47192845b96fa67d95304f9d721841d0.jpg

That basically set the mood for the next few hours.
So I had to build the bulkheads, finish the fittings, and check the salinity on my mixing water. I finally got the 75 inside the house. Dried it off and began to drain the 30g. I pulled 25 gallons out and set it aside. Slid the tank and stand out from where it was and began to move the 75’s stand in its place. I’ve measured the gap several times and it would fit without an inch to spare. Wellllllllll that’s still easier said than done. It had to be slid in exactly straight with the wall and opposing 110. After I got that in it was time for the tank which had to go in the same way. Then it was on to putting the bulkhead and stand pipes in. Well... I then realized I didn’t pack my saw when I moved and the currently time was approx midnight. I finally found a saw and got the stand pipes cut and capped off.

Started filling the 75 up from there with the used water from the 30. Well 25 gallons of water doesn’t do anything to a big tank. So I used the 45 gallons of water that I’ve been mixing for 24 hours.

With every rock I pulled out it needed scrubbing.. BAD here’s where the lovely lady came in.
5688836c59d7fc754db6dd2938efd546.jpg

She scrubbed every bit of the gha off those rocks and looking amazing now. This was the time a mysterious emerald got transferred into fresh water and wasn’t found until 2am at cleanup time.
Got all of the rocks moved over and propped up the best I could while trying to create a half decent rockscape with no sand. That’s was fairly difficult.

After all of that was moved it was time to move my two clowns and a blenny. They have been in a powerless tank for about three hours and both tanks water matched almost perfectly.

The hard part was to transfer most of the coral, which worked out in the end because I was able to spread a lot of things out and it didn’t look so crowded.
1b3c82e47d3af2105b8d239191627898.jpg

I got my lights on and checked it out for the first time. I loved it. Was not a fan of bare bottom at all. I never plugged in the reef keeper. I made sure the heater was plugged in and maxi jet was running. It was bed time. Woke up this morning ran in to check it out and it looked way better than it did just a few hours ago. Today I had to get more fitting to connect my canister filter running with the tank.
Picked up a bag of Hawaii black caribsea. Added it and it’s only looking better. Currently waiting on my pp8’s to be shipped.
95a457b09385de837c999d8c45d347a5.jpg

This is a picture of some of the plumbing to had to make up to go from 1inch stand pipe to a 3/4 inch flex hose.

04a1c8aa0b907654cf3d55ed69d4922a.jpg

This is only minutes after adding the sand. Let me know if any fair priced coral I could get to add a little more pop. I mainly have green at the moment.

Well I hope you guys enjoyed, and just keep in mind. No matter how prepared you are... it’s never enough.
Any questions or comments feel free to share.

OP
OP
Bparrott

Bparrott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to go through this process myself! You gave me alittle hope for survival

Make sure you take more time than you need to get it done. My tank move was pretty hectic and still havent finalized the plumbing for the canister filter. Really just need to connect it and test. Everything is doing well in the tank it’s all back fully open. My clowns are still freaked out and haven’t eaten yet. Hopefully they’ll be hungry tomorrow. Good luck and try to relax.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back