Juvenile Ritteri Questions + Help!!

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I just got a new young ritteri from my LFS. It was the only ritteri that shipped to their location fully healthy. It looks a little like a BTA but I was told this is because it is still young and an Indonesian Ritteri. It is strong brown/purple base and tentacles with white tips. It is currently sitting in an acclimation box inside my main tank. It looks pretty healthy but still hasn’t fully opened up. No signs of tear or bubbles inside its body. What should I do during these first 24-48 hours its in my tank? Should I start feeding it or just let it chill?

image.jpg

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think getting it into subdued light and high flow ASAP is going to be essential. Someone recently posted that you should really try to flush it well so that it gets rid of the high ammonia/nitrate water inside it from shipping and gets good water in it.

Id get it out of that box, onto a good spot (high light/high flow) on your rocks, and make sure your powerheads are on but protected in case the nem wanders. Then turn your lights down some to not shock it, and wait and see.

It appears standard that they will deflate/inflate several times before settling in. I think you just want to watch for signs of a gaping mouth which may indicate a need for a QT in Cipro.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info! I have it in the box because since its very new I’m kinda worried if it starts dying or something i won’t be able to pull it out easily. But I can try to put it on my rock work. I have a BTA already but I was told they cant sting ritteri or vice versa. The LFS had BTA and ritteri all acclimating in the same container so maybe he’s right?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s doesn’t look like a ritteri either way a new nem shouldn’t be in a acclimation box..causes unwanted stress. You should also not feed anemones until they are full acclimated to your tank

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s doesn’t look like a ritteri either way a new nem shouldn’t be in a acclimation box..causes unwanted stress. You should also not feed anemones until they are full acclimated to your tank
Thanks, I’ll be taking the advice from y’all and taking the nem out of the acclimation box today

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on all 3 statements. Looks like a bta to me. I can see the tentacles tapering into tiny tips .

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on all 3 statements. Looks like a bta to me. I can see the tentacles tapering into tiny tips .

I go to a reputable LFS who swore this was a Ritteri, I paid 89 shipped straight from Indo. Have you guys seen Indonesian Ritteri? I’ll post a photo of a young one and the adult one. Could mine be like these?

C1E7E9ED-88EF-41F5-BC6F-CC1701271194.png 6EE46AA7-2DC4-4BAA-8B3B-AD52C299DEFC.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a BTA. Just look for white radiating lines around the mouth. If it's got those, then it's a BTA.

Juvenile magnifica, meaning just smaller magnifica, look a lot like larger ones!

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic once it is outside the acclimation box. I'd guess BTA, but a ritteri in an acclimation box isn't going to look like a ritteri.

I wouldn't be too hard on your LFS - they ordered a ritteri sight unseen, paid for a ritteri, and this is what got shipped to them (likely labled "ritteri"). Depending on the LFS, you might be able to return it or get a credit if you ask nicely.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with dnak. That's not a ritteri. All the "healthy ones" I received required Cipro treatment for 7 days. Here's a pic or my purple Ritteri. It looked great for two weeks then showed signs of infection
20200723_150132.jpg

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with dnak. That's not a ritteri. All the "healthy ones" I received required Cipro treatment for 7 days. Here's a pic or my purple Ritteri. It looked great for two weeks then showed signs of infection
20200723_150132.jpg

Okay guys, I understand what most ritteri species look like, I have owned one before that I sold to another reefer earlier this year. Here’s a photo. I’m gonna take a photo of its mouth to show y’all it doesn’t have the typical BTA mouth striations. like I’ve shown, there are variants of ritteri that are all purple with a white tips. Could that be what I have?

BTW this is my old Mag. Not the current one i have

96FE64DE-3736-4FAB-A5AE-7ED7FFC5EB9F.jpeg

Last edited:

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys, I understand what most ritteri species look like, I have owned one before that I sold to another reefer earlier this year. Here’s a photo. I’m gonna take a photo of its mouth to show y’all it doesn’t have the typical BTA mouth striations. like I’ve shown, there are variants of ritteri that are all purple with a white tips. Could that be what I have?

96FE64DE-3736-4FAB-A5AE-7ED7FFC5EB9F.jpeg
Is this photo of your new nem? If so, it looks like a mag. Your initial photo wasn't as good quality, and it didn't look like a mag.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a BTA. Just look for white radiating lines around the mouth. If it's got those, then it's a BTA.

Juvenile magnifica, meaning just smaller magnifica, look a lot like larger ones!

here are photos of its mouth and body, doesn’t have the features of BTA on mouth and body to me. What do you think?

4277AC87-1C91-4629-94F4-DF503511CB5E.jpeg 80D19F6E-04A6-49FC-A733-46083F6D958B.jpeg

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic once it is outside the acclimation box. I'd guess BTA, but a ritteri in an acclimation box isn't going to look like a ritteri.

I wouldn't be too hard on your LFS - they ordered a ritteri sight unseen, paid for a ritteri, and this is what got shipped to them (likely labled "ritteri"). Depending on the LFS, you might be able to return it or get a credit if you ask nicely.

here’s it outside the acclimation box. It’s def a little happier now. What do u think?

5217735C-E7C2-4656-98EC-0B17E4DB038D.jpeg 543568BB-69BA-4DCB-817B-D6FAC0D09225.jpeg 96865F64-8F65-4335-8686-DDCEDD9F899D.jpeg

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an easy test: put it in the display on a flat rock up high. The next day, does it walk and try to bury its foot in a crevice? Or does it stay (relatively) put with its foot exposed?

I still think it's a BTA though :)

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an easy test: put it in the display on a flat rock up high. The next day, does it walk and try to bury its foot in a crevice? Or does it stay (relatively) put with its foot exposed?

I still think it's a BTA though :)

Thanks for your insight. Even seeing the new photos u think it’s a BTA? I’ll report back tomorrow where it’s foot is. Right now it’s foot is nicely held on rock. It’s nice and puffy and exposed.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I still think it's a BTA, because of the tapering tentacles. Let us know how the experiment works tomorrow, I'm very curious to know too!
Inkedritteri or bta.jpg

thanks! I will report back tomorrow! It’s already walked a couple inches on the rock

Back