kalk question

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys A Quick Question While We Are Talking About Top Off Water, I Have A 320 Gallon Reef, My Ro Water Ph Is About 9.6 Is This Normal, This Is The First Time That I Have Checked This And It Shocked Me A Little Thought You Guys Might Know.
rO wATER hAS nO tRUE pH sINCE tHE iONS hAVE bEEN sTRIPPED fROM sOLUTION. hOW aRE yOU cHECKING yOUR pH, wITH a pROBE, tEST sTRIP, oR tEST kIT? i sUSPECT yOUR kIT iS oFF.

Mochis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, I don't think you can test the PH of RO water. How is the PH in your tank?

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have A Tds Meter Ordered, But It Is A Top Of The Line Air Water Ice Ro Unit 5 Stage

(4 Cartridges Plus Membrane) So I Am Not Too Concerned

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I found this on that there world wide web-thing:

The normal range for pH in surface water systems is 6.5 to 8.5 and for groundwater systems 6 to 8.5
[/FONT]

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk will only dissolve to a certain point given the amount of freshwater available. This is how a kalk reactor works, and why in the reactor you just dump a bunch in, and it dissolves more as needed. Its a good practice to cover your kalk water container as much as possible to extend the life of it. I have been told also, that you do not want to mix more than 5 days worth of kalk water at a time, as it can go bad beyond that time line. I found shortly after deciding to top off with kalk water, that it was too much of pain will all the mixing, and stirring, and rinsing, and making new batches etc, that i got a kalk reactor. Even going with a GEO, it wasn't very expensive, comparing to that of a calcium reactor, or other high end equipment. It really makes things a lot simpler.

Also, its important to know that you need to draw water from your kalk reservoir from a couple inches off the bottom, and not allow it to pull from the very bottom. A slurry of undissolved kalk will collect there, and can cause major spikes if sucked up and added to your tank. You can simply build a small egg crate stand if need be.

kalk doesn't go bad, i have containers that hold two weeks or more of kalk water.

the crust that forms at the top essentially seals up the kalk and keeps it "fresh", a lid helps in this.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^noted...i was ALWAYS told never make up more than 5 days worth, after that it starts to lose its effectiveness. Fortunately i run a reactor so not an issue for me, but good to know.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^noted...i was ALWAYS told never make up more than 5 days worth, after that it starts to lose its effectiveness. Fortunately i run a reactor so not an issue for me, but good to know.

ive been told the same thing in the past, but randy holmes farley and my own conductivity testing has confirmed that kalk does not degrade when kept covered.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back