kalkwasser making water cloudy

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a week ago i began dosing kalkwasser into my tank through my ATO to try to raise my alkalinity and calcium given they were both reading lower than usual. My alkalinity has increased by .2 already which is good except the kalkwasser mix seems to be making my water cloudy. I am running a UV sterilizer to clear it up but it seems as if the cloudiness has irritated my hammer colony as it has not been extending since i began the dosing, I will include a picture of the hammer. Does anyone else have experience with this, or does anyone have another good method to raise both alkalinity and calcium?

0272E2D0-6081-411F-9D34-37C0BE481EB8.jpeg

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just mixing it in a bucket with my ATO water. Im using 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just mixing it in a bucket with my ATO water. Im using 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

How much does the ATO deliver each time it delivers some, and over what time period?

Dosing too much too fast can result in excessive precipitation.

It should be adding at a rate like drops to a high flow/turbulence area.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you letting the Kalkwasser settle for a day or two in an airtight container and then removing just the clear saturated kalkwasser?

If you are just adding calcium hydroxide powder to your ATO without this settling step, then you'll be dosing a milky product into your system.

OP
OP
S

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you letting the Kalkwasser settle for a day or two in an airtight container and then removing just the clear saturated kalkwasser?

If you are just adding calcium hydroxide powder to your ATO without this settling step, then you'll be dosing a milky product into your system.
Yea I am pretty sure thats my issue, thank you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back