Keith's IM Nuvo EXT 100

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That puppy will weigh a little bit when full of water, so be sure that you have a way to securely mount it.

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That puppy will weigh a little bit when full of water, so be sure that you have a way to securely mount it.
yeah im certain that will be a issue. im trying to figure out how to plumb it off a manifold. i really want to leave it independent of the main return. i only need 400 gph goin through it. im stumped

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah im certain that will be a issue. im trying to figure out how to plumb it off a manifold. i really want to leave it independent of the main return. i only need 400 gph goin through it. im stumped

You could run it as a separate return. Have one return pump go through the UV and then to one of your two returns. Have the manifold supply water to the other return via the other return pump. You could mount the UV horizontal and use one of those (expensive) UV mounts on the back support...or maybe use more of those Clic mounts. I'm thinking about a layout similar to mine, but not plumbed into the main manifold.

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run it as a separate return. Have one return pump go through the UV and then to one of your two returns. Have the manifold supply water to the other return via the other return pump. You could mount the UV horizontal and use one of those (expensive) UV mounts on the back support...or maybe use more of those Clic mounts. I'm thinking about a layout similar to mine, but not plumbed into the main manifold.
I really like the ‘two separate pumps’ idea. I may really try and configure that, dry fit of course and see how it looks. I was also thinking of running the uv off the manifold and tapping into one of the returns. Not sure if that’s ideal.

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good excited to see if filled with water and running!

Out of curiosity is there a reason you went with 2 90 degree fittings on the drains vs two 45s?
Thank u sir. I went w 45s after watching a brs vid also I like the look more, personal preference I guess

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a used Dalua GW12 DC skimmer. It’s in great condition. These skimmers have a great reputation so I’m excited to pop this baby in! I’ll put it online after the tank is cycle and fish stock is up
DD777323-37EC-4F79-98B5-718C28A2FC39.jpeg
026095A3-8D2E-4C89-AA71-E361F0996F8D.jpeg
D615F406-8286-4097-95F9-9E01AADF8EE1.jpeg
B8EA5D02-3C81-4562-BF3D-E0211099DF60.jpeg

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Plumbing on the tank is under way. Let me just say, plumbing is a b#$%h!! lol Anyway, the overflow is plumbed!! I'll post pics later. Right now, I'm stuck on the return and the UV section. This is how things are dry fit at the moment. Im concerned that the two pumps (Varios 8 and Varios 2) are going to fight each other and most likely the 8 is going to win the fight and dead head the 2 at the T. I do not want a flow meeting. I can test flow the old fashion way at a later time, with a stop watch and a pitcher. My logic for plumbing this way..... Plumbing it this way gives me gives me redundancy if the main pump fails (V8). I can still return water. I can control flow with the dc pumps and run one independent using the valves. Plumbing it this way avoids close-looping it to the sump. Further more, can't I just closed the valve to to eliminate the V8 dead headed the V2? That’s seems like the easiest solution. The V8 will return water to one return and the V2 will return water to the other. I will be able to run uv on a schudele too if i wanted. I plan on adding another valve just before the input of the UV. What do you guys think? Thoughts?

1605196813091.png

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will the horizontal ball valve be closed when the UV is in operation? I can't really tell from the picture, but do you have room to remove the bulb and quartz sleeve where it is? Lastly, what is supporting the UV? It gets pretty heavy when full.

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the horizontal ball valve be closed when the UV is in operation? I can't really tell from the picture, but do you have room to remove the bulb and quartz sleeve where it is? Lastly, what is supporting the UV? It gets pretty heavy when full.
Yes. The horizontal ball valve will be closed when in operation. When not in operation, the valve will be open, the vertical one closed, and the v8 will return water . Configured this way, I will have to remove the unit completely. The uv is sitting on the frame of the stand. It doesn’t move dry fit but I will def need to secure it

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh...on having to remove the unit. Maybe post a horizontal picture to get a better idea of what's going on with the rest of the plumbing. Considering that you will need to replace the bulb once a year, I'd try another approach if it were me.

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh...on having to remove the unit. Maybe post a horizontal picture to get a better idea of what's going on with the rest of the plumbing. Considering that you will need to replace the bulb once a year, I'd try another approach if it were me.
Yes, it is not ideal but it is upright and is closed looped. When the tank is back against the wall, I may be able to service the UV without taken it completely out. I am filling the tank today to test fo any leaks. I will share pics of the plumbing this afternoon

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is not ideal but it is upright and is closed looped. When the tank is back against the wall, I may be able to service the UV without taken it completely out. I am filling the tank today to test fo any leaks. I will share pics of the plumbing this afternoon
Excited to see water in it!

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has had water in it for 24 hrs. No leaks. I’m really happy about that. I still have to add a ball valve to the UV and then I’ll leak test it. Also, have to run the V8 and V2 together. Currently, I’m just testing flow and playing with the gate valve. What level should I keep the 2nd standpipe at? I have it set just above the lip, the water is almost silent this way. I'm sure the ideal/recommended overflow box water level varies. I just want it as quiet as possible. I do enjoy the light, therapeutic, water trickle sound so I may leave it as is. Occasionally, a few trickles of water will enter the emergency. Don't mind this at all. The filter sock silencers from @Mike Kearns are truly a godsend. The noise of the water entering the sock is loud. Without them, I'd be thoroughly annoyed, so thank you!. I’m thinking I’ll keep the V8 @ 2. The pump is too strong @ 3. Perhaps when it ages in a year or 2, I can turn it up. I’m at 800-900 gph @ 2. I’m cool with that. In the next few weeks, I plan on moving the tank back up against the wall, installing some equipment, and focusing on cable mgmt. Pics coming

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back