Kessil a160 Questions

Austin Wiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to purchase 2 kessil a160s and want to know how long i can expect them to last
Also i wnat to learn a good lighting schedule, like when to turn then on, when i should increase the intensity, if i turn them off at night, things like that

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to purchase 2 kessil a160s and want to know how long i can expect them to last
Also i wnat to learn a good lighting schedule, like when to turn then on, when i should increase the intensity, if i turn them off at night, things like that
What size tank and what corals are you keeping them under? If cleaned properly and regularly they'll last you a long time. Once a month its a good idea to take them off the tank and blow them out with an air compressor or a can of dust cleaner (away from the tank) and to wipe off the lense and housing with a microfiber cloth. As far as a schedule what controller are you using to control them?

OP
OP
Austin Wiant

Austin Wiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and what corals are you keeping them under? If cleaned properly and regularly they'll last you a long time. Once a month its a good idea to take them off the tank and blow them out with an air compressor or a can of dust cleaner (away from the tank) and to wipe off the lense and housing with a microfiber cloth. As far as a schedule what controller are you using to control them?

It is a 36x18x18 50 gallon. I dont have corals now but plan to start off simple as this is my first go at a reef tank. I was thinking some gsp, torches, maybe some zoas and possibly an anenome for my clwonfish

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 36x18x18 50 gallon. I dont have corals now but plan to start off simple as this is my first go at a reef tank. I was thinking some gsp, torches, maybe some zoas and possibly an anenome for my clwonfish
For your lights, are you using a controller or manually adjusting them throughout the day?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really haven't been out long enough to know how long they will last. I got my A350 in late 2012 and it's still going strong. I should point out in that time it's been replaced by the A360 and then A360we. With that being said it's more likely you will upgrade from them before they burn out / stop working. You should get at least 5-7 years of use, perhaps more.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the controller is for cool factor. full on/off via simple switch also works fine, intensity is chosen based off height of mount/slow ramp up or par metering depending on how far one wants to go. in my a160 setup, they come on nearly full blue at about 85% and go off nine hours later no ramp up, simple amazon digi switch. controller ramping is fine all technical tweaks are ok by me. I skipped the controller to save money. now what I really want is any cheap controller I can control on and off with an app off my phone, so that I can shut lights off remotely if my home ac shuts down, which I get texts about. I don't need the ramping or color control, I wanted just remote off/on via phone.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think two A160s are not going to be enough lighting for a 36" wide 50 gallon tank. You'd either need a 3rd, OR a better option IMO is go with two A360WEs.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two on my fusion 20 (24x12x12) , and will be using three on my 48 x 18 x 16 upgrade, as I already have the three fixtures. They max out at 65% during the day currently and have zero trouble growing my two acros or anemone which are probably about 11-12" below the light, which sits 6" above my water line. Everyone is different though, that may not be enough light for some tanks. I figure that an increase in 3.5" of water depth won't be such a problem as I still have 35% worth of power to get out of the lights by running them at 100%.

In terms of longevity, the oldest is coming up on two years in December and it's been flawless. I do clean the lens monthly and blast the housing with my datavac (while pinning the fan) about every four months to keep the heat sink clear.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bunch of 160s since they first came out (2 yrs? don't recall exactly). No failures yet.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been going on 2 years, i keep the intensity at 100% all the time and during the first and last hour i change them to all blue. They are on for 14 hours a day.
20170913_102321.jpg

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run two a160's over a standard 55gallon. Love them. I run them at a 100% intensity and reaching a max of 20%color(I like the blue) Getting great growth and seem sturdy. Had them for about two years and havent cleaned them...I know im a rebel lol, but I do clean the cover to keep the light penetration in tip top shape. I did add a retro fit T5 kit cause I felt it would help with some shadowing and add a less intense spectrum for the morning.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the reviews for them. I was seeing lot of reviews, saying the only last about 2 years before they die. I'm wondering if it is just a problem with the newer models.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the reviews for them. I was seeing lot of reviews, saying the only last about 2 years before they die. I'm wondering if it is just a problem with the newer models.
Part of the reason is that you have to keep up with regular maintenance on them. Clean them off, blow out the dust. The units collect dust, and then overheat and the lights fail. If you use a can of compressed air or an air compressor monthly and blow them out, they'll last you a long time. Same with wiping them down, get the water and salt creep off of them before it has a chance to enter the unit. Yes you'll occasionally get one that will fail even with regular maintenance (that can happen with any product), but you lessen the chances of it happening.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. I was seriously looking into get two of these for my 90 gallon. I've seen them in the LFS and liked them.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. I was seriously looking into get two of these for my 90 gallon. I've seen them in the LFS and liked them.
The 160 or the 360? I'd go 360 for a 90 gallon.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm seriously considering the Radion XR15W Pro. I think they are a littler more powerful and about the same price. However, I'm still very much in the planning stages.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been going on 2 years, i keep the intensity at 100% all the time and during the first and last hour i change them to all blue. They are on for 14 hours a day.
20170913_102321-jpg.588960

I have thought about buying multiple small lights like yourself. So that I can customize the amount of light in different sections of the tank depending on need. I was wondering if you were trying to do the same thing, and if so how did it work out? Are you shopping around because it didn't work?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back