Kessil a160 Questions

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually before I setup up this tank I already had 3 so I put them on, realized I was gonna need a couple more 160's or got to a 700 or 3 360's. I tried two more 160's and it works great. I really have no complaints, you just always wonder what if? At first it did allow me to control the amount of light in a section, but as soon as I added a couple montis and acros and they took off I ramped them all up and well you can see the results, not bad in my book, I'm happy with the results the lights produce.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm seriously considering the Radion XR15W Pro. I think they are a littler more powerful and about the same price. However, I'm still very much in the planning stages.
They both have their ups and downs. The the Radion is more powerful, but you don't get the color mixing or the shimmer you do with the kessil. The radion has the slider bars and you can choose your own color mixing. Also the radion has to have an external controller, the reef link, (as does the kessil with the spectral controller) It's a horse a piece.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both have their ups and downs. The the Radion is more powerful, but you don't get the color mixing or the shimmer you do with the kessil. The radion has the slider bars and you can choose your own color mixing. Also the radion has to have an external controller, the reef link, (as does the kessil with the spectral controller) It's a horse a piece.
I agree with you, in fact that is one reason I was not considering them before. However, they came out with the diffuser. The down side is, it will lower the par, I'm just wondering if it is enough to make a difference. Like I said still very much in the planning. The other thing I'm worried about it is buying these powerful lights and then cranking them down to a fraction of power I just paid a lot of money for. I think I have changed my mind like six times. If I buy the wrong ones, my wife will not let me buy another. Sorry I didn't mean to high jack the thread.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for 2.5 years, I started with 2 Kessil 160's and a 2 bulb T5 fixture for supplement. After the first year I added 2 more Kessils when I started to add more sps to my tank. I have them on an 11 hour schedule with a 2 hour ramp up and down. They peak at 75% intensity and 35% color with the T5 coming on for 5 hours at midday when the Kessils are at peak. No issues with the Kessils in the time I've had them, except for one of them making a noise from the fan one day an hour before they turned off, but was silent again the next day which I chalk up to probably dust in the fan. I now remove them every two months clean the lens and blow the fan out. Love the shimmer from the Kessils and that they are easy to set up with just two adjustments.
3lsQPJhh.jpg

MickMurray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recently purchased a 21 gallon Aquatop off of Craigslist. It'll be primarily a LPS tank with an anemone. Will the A160 be sufficient for the anemone?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recently purchased a 21 gallon Aquatop off of Craigslist. It'll be primarily a LPS tank with an anemone. Will the A160 be sufficient for the anemone?
Absolutely

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back