Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how that looks. Is that hanging kit solid? I’ve never used one before and would hate to my light drop into the tank.
To hang it you may have to run to your local hardware store. The light comes with the cables, but it does not come with anything to actually mount into your wall or ceiling. I went to menards and picked up a drywall anchor kit with hooks, drilled 1/2 in holes into my ceiling, and installed the hooks. Then was able to hang the cables off of that. The anchor kit I picked up is good for up to 30 pounds. The light itself is 12 and the kessil I believe is 5??

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how that looks. Is that hanging kit solid? I’ve never used one before and would hate to my light drop into the tank.
Ceiling-Hook.jpg
Something similar to this, but my hooks are chrome.
And these are the cables that come with the light
2nAKgqvl.jpg

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at these tanks I'm ready to switch to Kessil. I've got three Maxspect Ethereal lights on my Red Sea 525 and just can't get it dialed in. Tank is 59 inches long, 22 deep and 22 front to back. It says on the website the AP700 is good for "up to" 48 inches so I think I'll need two but it seem a little overkill. Softies / LPS right now but I plan on adding SPS in the future. Would the diffusers tone down the lights enough that I don't burn anything? I'm fairly new to all of this so any suggestions would help. Thanks.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at these tanks I'm ready to switch to Kessil. I've got three Maxspect Ethereal lights on my Red Sea 525 and just can't get it dialed in. Tank is 59 inches long, 22 deep and 22 front to back. It says on the website the AP700 is good for "up to" 48 inches so I think I'll need two but it seem a little overkill. Softies / LPS right now but I plan on adding SPS in the future. Would the diffusers tone down the lights enough that I don't burn anything? I'm fairly new to all of this so any suggestions would help. Thanks.
The diffusers aren't really needed in my honest opinion. Unless you're getting way to much shimmer, kessil already does an amazing job of spreading out the par that diffusers aren't really necessary :)

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diffusers aren't really needed in my honest opinion. Unless you're getting way to much shimmer, kessil already does an amazing job of spreading out the par that diffusers aren't really necessary :)

OK, I just thought that they might help keep me from frying everything. I'm still trying to learn about the lighting as far as setting the spectrum, intensity, time, etc.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I just thought that they might help keep me from frying everything. I'm still trying to learn about the lighting as far as setting the spectrum, intensity, time, etc.
Not a problem :) as long as you keep the light dialed down, you should be ok :)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Water flow, filtration, etc., all seem pretty straightforward and I can follow the thought processes. For some reason I'm struggling getting a grip on lighting.
With so many different options and so many different opinions it can be pretty overwhelming :)

Littlebit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Crabs, How much shimmer do you get with the 700 and the T5's added to it? I will be setting up a tank again in the future and currently researching lighting. I like slight shimmer but don't want it overbearing.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Crabs, How much shimmer do you get with the 700 and the T5's added to it? I will be setting up a tank again in the future and currently researching lighting. I like slight shimmer but don't want it overbearing.
Check out the BRS 160g in their videos, it is illuminated by either an A700 (before Octoberish) and T5s or now, A360s and T5s.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more than happy to take a video for you and post it in a little bit

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 20 seconds are with the ap700 only at 30 percent intensity at ocean blue 3. After 20 seconds is with the t5s turned on with the ap700 at the exact same settings.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running that t5 fixture with two 160's. I like the look of the tank much better now with the t5's, they do wash out some of the shimmer which is fine by me.

U

User1

View Badges
Nice tanks, mounting pictures, and everything in between. Question to those of you controlling them with your Apex. Is another module required? Also, does it let you configure weather patterns?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The diffusers don’t help the spread at all, it’s already very good if not perfect. Only reason to get them is if you wish to subdue the shimmer some.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone considering or already owning the AP700 be aware that they have color discrepancy firmware issues that they are currently still working on. Time table they gave me was “months” which isn’t great.

The last two program points will fail to tune into the correct shade of blue and will default to the deepest blue instead. Not sure how many units this affects but since they are well aware of it, it’s safe to say that it’s a considerable amount.

After speaking and emailing their customer service rep, they came up with a temporary fix. Here it is and I hope it alleviate future headaches from people trying to repeatedly program the light with no effect.

c50f6f859cc744ba5d988cd8c7199cc9.jpg

ec590c2f126f3d81e21cc4ec131b55fc.jpg

9fb9ca88d85c7dfbd643abfc7a805f61.jpg

66ddcf9f00cb8cd2c422f361aaab90ee.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back