KH Carer Review and Experience

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the firmware mine has, but Coralvue tech told me that once I change out the tubes, don’t use it until Kamoer pushes an update to it ‍♂️

My waits a bit while reagent is added, then spins up. It turns on and off several times during the process. Maybe you happened to catch it during one of those times?
I did a test at 4pm and still not moving past 10 percent still letting it run I guess. The unit says my dkh is 6.83 and still rising. Anyone else have this issue?

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent it to CoralVue and they said fixed it. They better not charge me again for shipping. Obviously, something is wrong with unit.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is weird it went from 10 percent to now 7 percent. ??? adding KH Reagent says.. interesting now its down to 6 percent; I am confused lol. I think may have figured it out. The new app removes the remaining KH reagent left. It seems that if you enter it during test it solves it. However, this is for sure a bug in app. I am going to run a test now to see if that is issue. I am on manual test for now maybe reason that it removes remaining reagent. It looks like this maybe the issue making progress.

Last edited:

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope still not working ugh... I got a email from Coralvue that Kamoer will push update through tonight. Finger crossed here...

Last edited:

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my tubing kit this afternoon and then contacted Coralvue. They in turn sent my info to Kamoer and told me the unit will update tonight. We will see how things go the next couple days

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know because if yours works then I know something is wrong with mine
its not just you.. I think there is some kind of software bug.. driving me nuts as well.. I cant wait for my x10 from hydros instead. the kamoer is a great tool, but the support for it is rough having to wait 24 hours for Japan to wake up and the language difference is a struggle as well.. the support is there and they have come a long way, but the unit still needs some work

a.ocellaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did you contact Coralvue or Kamoer? I have no number to contact Kamoer support.
I contacted Coralvue via their website. As the US distributors, they contacted Kamoer to install the needed updates. Kamoer also furnished the tubing update to the reagent pump. It took a while for Kamoer to get my machine working, but it’s been working well since they remoted in.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Kamoer tells me to contact Coralvue this is ridicolous. I guess stuck with a $800 unit that don't work.

playgrounddtsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread giving my experience with the new Kamoer KH Carer.

I have recently started using the Kamoer KH carer. Before I go into what I think of the unit I thought I should explain why I got one.

My tank is a RedSea 750XXL I set the tank up after moving to my new home 5 years ago Pic of my previous tank below sorry about the poor resolution.
Old Tank Shot.JPG

With my new tank I removed alot of the corals and tried to restart everything from frags. The SPS started to do well until I flew back with reefapalooza Chicago with some frags last year. I am not sure what happened but as soon as I put the new SPS frags in all of my SPS RTNd. It was like they brought in some kind of bacterial infection. I have been trying to rebuild the tank but everything has been RTNing. What compounded the issue was that as the SPS RTNd my Alk shot up from 9 to 12 and I think that made everything worse. I felt that if I had caught the problem sooner I could have reduced my dosing and I might not have lost all of the SPS but because I didn't the alk spike just made the RTN even worse.

I started testing with a Hanna Checker every daily to mitigate this problem but SPS have not been able to live in the tank since. I eventually slipped into testing every 3-5 days due to life. I became a new Dad 2 months ago and the daily testing is just not an achievable thing any moire. I started getting actual SPS growth about a month ago and then left on a hunting trip. When I came home I found the rug by the tank soggy. The glass redsea sump had cracked from top to bottom and water was dripping out. Amazingly only about 5-10 gallons of water was on the floor and the leak slipped right around where I had my leak sensors placed. The tank's salinity dropped from 1.026 to 1.021 and my alk was again at 11.5 when it was at 8.5 before I left. All SPS died except for 1 Acro.

I learned a couple of things.

1. I need more leak sensors
2. I need some way of automating KH testing. My most successful tanks were when I worked at the LFS and I had hours next to the tank every day and I could pay attention to every detail. I dosed everything manually and tested everything manually but I can't do that now with where I am in life.

I picked up a KH Carer as a Christmas gift to myself. I chose the KH carer over the other automatic KH testers for a couple of reasons.

1. I wanted something that I could use stand-alone. I don't always use controllers and I use different controller ecosystems so I really didn't want something proprietary.
2. I wanted to be able to maintain the unit myself and the simple titration-based testing system that uses a pH probe and dosing pumps was something I could easily take care of myself.
3. I liked the affordability of the reagents and the fact that the reagent is not proprietary.
4. I prefer good hardware over good software. I will put up with a buggy app if it means stuff doesn't break. Since Kamoer makes the internals of some other testers and I have had good experiences with their dosing pumps I thought that the hardware in the Kamoer would be the best available.

I went to set up the unit this weekend. The instructions included are awful and make no sense, But once I opened the App and added the unit the app walks you through the initial setup. you need to calibrate the pH probe, the saltwater feed pump that adds tank water to the testing beaker, calibrate the KH dosing pump, and prime the reagent pump. I was surprised you don't calibrate the regent pump or the wastewater pump but I have since learned that the exact flow rate of the waste pump doesn't matter. It just needs to empty the beaker after the test. The reagent pump can be calibrated but there is more on that later. The pH probe comes with pH 7.0 and pH 9.89 solution but you can also use pH 4 and pH 7 which is good for maintenance.

I called CoralVue and they recommended testing with the unit 12 times per day for 1 day before doing the final calibration to let all of the pumps and tubing break in. The unit was 4 dKH higher than my Hanna Checker at this time. After the break-in, you can calibrate the reagent pump. The app lets you calibrate the regent pump traditionally or you can perform a test and then tell the app what the actual alk is. It then infers the correct reagent flow rate. I decided to calibrate to my Hanna Checker and this worked well for me. This morning Hanna read 8.1 and KH Carer read 8.15.

I realized after the fact that I needed dosing containers for the KH reagent and KH buffer. So I added them in yesterday. This messed up the calibration and I needed to recalibrate again. You can choose to have a third container for your waste or add the waste back to the tank. The reagent is sulfuric acid so it will lower the pH of the tank slightly if you add it back to the tank. I have been adding the waste to the tank and have not noticed any pH drop.

Right now I am just testing and not dosing. I don't plan on dosing with the unit for some time. Right now my alk demand is met with kalk and I want to keep using kalk until I can't and then I will add in alk solution with the KH Carer.

So far I like the unit. It seems any time you replace the reagent, alter the tubing length, or generally mess with the unit it will need to be recalibrated but recalibrating is simple and once it is dialed in I shouldn't need to touch it very often. I plan to mix up a large container of regent to avoid frequent recalibration.

The alkalinity seems consistent with my Hanna checker but the pH reading does not match my Apex. I recalibrated both probes with the same solutions last night and they still don't match. My Apex is reading 8.0 to 8.2 and the KH Carer is reading 7.6-7.8 and it only reads when it tests. I believe the little bit of leftover sulfuric acid on the probe and test beaker skews the results down.

Stay tuned for more updates.
I wanted to start a thread giving my experience with the new Kamoer KH Carer.

I have recently started using the Kamoer KH carer. Before I go into what I think of the unit I thought I should explain why I got one.

My tank is a RedSea 750XXL I set the tank up after moving to my new home 5 years ago Pic of my previous tank below sorry about the poor resolution.
Old Tank Shot.JPG

With my new tank I removed alot of the corals and tried to restart everything from frags. The SPS started to do well until I flew back with reefapalooza Chicago with some frags last year. I am not sure what happened but as soon as I put the new SPS frags in all of my SPS RTNd. It was like they brought in some kind of bacterial infection. I have been trying to rebuild the tank but everything has been RTNing. What compounded the issue was that as the SPS RTNd my Alk shot up from 9 to 12 and I think that made everything worse. I felt that if I had caught the problem sooner I could have reduced my dosing and I might not have lost all of the SPS but because I didn't the alk spike just made the RTN even worse.

I started testing with a Hanna Checker every daily to mitigate this problem but SPS have not been able to live in the tank since. I eventually slipped into testing every 3-5 days due to life. I became a new Dad 2 months ago and the daily testing is just not an achievable thing any moire. I started getting actual SPS growth about a month ago and then left on a hunting trip. When I came home I found the rug by the tank soggy. The glass redsea sump had cracked from top to bottom and water was dripping out. Amazingly only about 5-10 gallons of water was on the floor and the leak slipped right around where I had my leak sensors placed. The tank's salinity dropped from 1.026 to 1.021 and my alk was again at 11.5 when it was at 8.5 before I left. All SPS died except for 1 Acro.

I learned a couple of things.

1. I need more leak sensors
2. I need some way of automating KH testing. My most successful tanks were when I worked at the LFS and I had hours next to the tank every day and I could pay attention to every detail. I dosed everything manually and tested everything manually but I can't do that now with where I am in life.

I picked up a KH Carer as a Christmas gift to myself. I chose the KH carer over the other automatic KH testers for a couple of reasons.

1. I wanted something that I could use stand-alone. I don't always use controllers and I use different controller ecosystems so I really didn't want something proprietary.
2. I wanted to be able to maintain the unit myself and the simple titration-based testing system that uses a pH probe and dosing pumps was something I could easily take care of myself.
3. I liked the affordability of the reagents and the fact that the reagent is not proprietary.
4. I prefer good hardware over good software. I will put up with a buggy app if it means stuff doesn't break. Since Kamoer makes the internals of some other testers and I have had good experiences with their dosing pumps I thought that the hardware in the Kamoer would be the best available.

I went to set up the unit this weekend. The instructions included are awful and make no sense, But once I opened the App and added the unit the app walks you through the initial setup. you need to calibrate the pH probe, the saltwater feed pump that adds tank water to the testing beaker, calibrate the KH dosing pump, and prime the reagent pump. I was surprised you don't calibrate the regent pump or the wastewater pump but I have since learned that the exact flow rate of the waste pump doesn't matter. It just needs to empty the beaker after the test. The reagent pump can be calibrated but there is more on that later. The pH probe comes with pH 7.0 and pH 9.89 solution but you can also use pH 4 and pH 7 which is good for maintenance.

I called CoralVue and they recommended testing with the unit 12 times per day for 1 day before doing the final calibration to let all of the pumps and tubing break in. The unit was 4 dKH higher than my Hanna Checker at this time. After the break-in, you can calibrate the reagent pump. The app lets you calibrate the regent pump traditionally or you can perform a test and then tell the app what the actual alk is. It then infers the correct reagent flow rate. I decided to calibrate to my Hanna Checker and this worked well for me. This morning Hanna read 8.1 and KH Carer read 8.15.

I realized after the fact that I needed dosing containers for the KH reagent and KH buffer. So I added them in yesterday. This messed up the calibration and I needed to recalibrate again. You can choose to have a third container for your waste or add the waste back to the tank. The reagent is sulfuric acid so it will lower the pH of the tank slightly if you add it back to the tank. I have been adding the waste to the tank and have not noticed any pH drop.

Right now I am just testing and not dosing. I don't plan on dosing with the unit for some time. Right now my alk demand is met with kalk and I want to keep using kalk until I can't and then I will add in alk solution with the KH Carer.

So far I like the unit. It seems any time you replace the reagent, alter the tubing length, or generally mess with the unit it will need to be recalibrated but recalibrating is simple and once it is dialed in I shouldn't need to touch it very often. I plan to mix up a large container of regent to avoid frequent recalibration.

The alkalinity seems consistent with my Hanna checker but the pH reading does not match my Apex. I recalibrated both probes with the same solutions last night and they still don't match. My Apex is reading 8.0 to 8.2 and the KH Carer is reading 7.6-7.8 and it only reads when it tests. I believe the little bit of leftover sulfuric acid on the probe and test beaker skews the results down.

Stay tuned for more updates.
Hey! Thanks for this thread

I’ve just set my unit up and was curious if you still have waste water going back into tank? That feels crazy, but it also feels like I’m taking a lot of salt out and potentially messing with salinity. Have you still seen no ill effects?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks for this thread

I’ve just set my unit up and was curious if you still have waste water going back into tank? That feels crazy, but it also feels like I’m taking a lot of salt out and potentially messing with salinity. Have you still seen no ill effects?
I have a KH Carer running on a 42 gallon tank and return the water to the sump. I test 4 times a day. I have been doing this since late November of last year. So far no issues but I do dose a KH buffer 4 times a day also based on the readings from the KH Carer.

OP
OP
MarineandReef Jaron

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues discharging wastewater into the tank for me. I have been testing 4 times daily as of late and have not noticed any issues.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Kamoer tells me to contact Coralvue this is ridicolous. I guess stuck with a $800 unit that don't work.
Hey, I bought a new PH probe, went back through calibration, Kamoer must've released a new software update.. it asked me about drip sensor set up after running the first test.. it auto changed settings and it is working flawlessly now to my Hannah checkers..

if you need to get ahold of Kamoer.. Ignore them when they redirect you to Coralvue and just keep talking to them,.

[email protected] is who I email.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 77.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back