KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@codydemmel4 The makers of the KHG have a monitor only coming out as well.

@klp I'm only using it's dosing feature, at the moment, as a way for me to tell when my alkalinity consumption has increased in the tank, when it drops below the set point (my bottom threshold) then the KHG doses and I know I need to kick my dosing up slightly. It's just the way I have been running it and have been very happy with how it is working. Everytime I check my calcium level it is right where I left it so I'm not falling behind. Maybe once the new printed circuit boards become available I'll change my strategy and see if letting it fine tune my alkalinity makes it more stable. I've generated enough data points at this point the current way I've been using it to have a pretty good understanding of what my daily alkalinity swing is in the tank. (generally over the day it's between .2 and .3 dKH, if I'm dosing ahead of the KHG setpoint).

I'm still exploring how to best use it as a tool. (For my needs) :)

Very nice. That is awesome that you're able to know you tank does not swing more then .2 or .3 in a single day which I am sure is greatly benefiting the health of your corals. Do you have any idea when they may be coming out with the monitor only?

I dose my 2 part over all 24 hours but I am sure I still have some swings when the corals consume the most which would be good to see, even though it would be hard to dose more in those hours compared to the others unless you had the KHG or you setup another dosing pump to only dose in those hours.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure when they will be offering the monitor only version. I do know from their facebook group page that is coming!
Maybe @eltonw will give us a hint when the monitor only version will be available.

eltonw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are other companies currently trying to make their own verision of this but you actually think they will have them out by the end of this year? I also am wondering if a company will just make a monitor and not a monitor and controller, would be a lot cheaper

Most important thing is
For making KHG we spent 4 years to gather hundred thousands test numbers for verify the all test data are correct. KHG controller is not just build then sell.
We know many people request us start selling monitor products ASAP, we know what you need and the monitor and advanced interface module are really coming soon.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important thing is
For making KHG we spent 4 years to gather hundred thousands test numbers for verify the all test data are correct. KHG controller is not just build then sell.
We know many people request us start selling monitor products ASAP, we know what you need and the monitor and advanced interface module are really coming soon.

Y'all are doing a great job, especially responding to our feedback! Thank you for keeping us updated here in this thread, I appreciate it. Plus it's exciting the new features and I have a feeling the AIM is going to be super cool too

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most important thing is

Hint......is

you can count down now.

Yeah I completely understand, everything I have seen so far about the KHG has been great.

Looking forward to the monitor soon, hoping that countdown isnt a long count down as that could be anything :(o_O

eltonw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KHG Controller version and Monitor Version are supporting firmware upgrade also now.

KHG firmware1.png

KHG firmware.png

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People keep their alkalinities in different areas for different reasons. There are advantages to being in different areas in the range. If you system runs low nutrients and you keep SPS it is generally best to run low alkalinities, as high alkalinities result in "burnt tips" where the tips of the acropora become bare skeleton because (supposedly) the skeleton outgrows the fleshy body of the coral. Higher alkalinities offer increased growth rate, but your tank has to have the nutrients to support it without getting burnt tips.

I think most people here are looking to try and stabilize their alkalinity (and just be able to look at a screen and tell what it is). Alkalinity is a little more important to be concerned with than Ca or Mg just because there is a lot less of it in our tanks, and it is used at an equal rate.

Everyone here is adding equal parts alkalinity and Ca. The KHG is just monitoring and giving an occasional correction.

2 part works like this. You can dose each one independently to get your levels where you want 7.5 dKH 440ppm Ca. Then you dose equal parts to maintain them in that balance. As long as your alk is 7.5 dKH then your calcium will be 440 ppm. (Does that make sense?). You're correct you don't want to dose just one or the other long term without monitoring and dosing the other.
what are your other parameters, magnesium, alk and calcium, also salinity???? is it possible that I would need to does different rates for alk, and calcium to keep them both stable, or are the uptakes tied together always exactly equal? in other words would it be possible that I need to dose alk at 160 ml per day and calcium 175 ml per day? to keep them stable at 7.5 and 440???

spieszak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've never dosed equal parts alk and calcium in 10 years of reefing. Dose for what your tank uses.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose the tropic Marin balling salts in equal parts. I only check my Ca and Mg once in a blue moon. It just happens I tested today. Ca 450ppm Mg 1390ppm and my alk has been running around 7.7 dKH. They have stayed very consistent

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back