KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but how do you know the KHG is wrong and not the Hana?

Agreed, I would get a third and fourth reading to verify, grab a salifert kit or even a cheap API kit, maybe take a sample to LFS and have them test. When I was setting up my unit it was about 1dkh off from my salifert kit, but that kit only had a few tests left, opened a new kit and the KHG was only a few tenths off that kit.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralvue setup video and online instructions contradict each other for probe placement. (KH monitor ONLY)

Last edited:

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the online instructions as its clear and the guys that posted it know what they are doing, the reason for the difference between the khg and the monitor only is that the monitor probe is plastic and smaller the khg doser one is glass.
Bill

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not an equal amount of consumption but rather a standard proportion. For every 2.6 dkh of alkalinity is 20 ppm of calcium.
Secondly kh guardian does not claim it to be a standalone system to keep parameters balanced. In fact they don't even advertise it to be the only system you should have to adjust alkalinity. What they do claim is that you should have your 2 part dosing system or a calcium reactor running on your system while keeping kh Guardian as a back-up plan.

Im not discarding or accusing any claims. All Im saying is, if you dose NaHC03, you should also dose Ca.

I love and just installed the KH G on my system. I wouldnt use the Pro. Because what I woudnt do is dose NaHCO3 without an equivalent dose of Ca.

Mind you I have a Calcium Reactor so dont need to dose anything, but I hate to see hobbyist dosing NaHCO3 with out a Ca dose. But I guess that just me. I reference @Randy Holmes-Farley articles for the equal dosing of two-part. Maybe I misunderstood.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its now been 24 hours since I installed. Yesterday after the break in 5 tests per instructions I let it test every hour for a few hours. I then did testing with Salifert and Hanna DKH checker.

Yesterday: Hanna- 8.0
Salifert 8.6
KHG- 9.3

Today: Hanna 8.2
Salifert 8.6
KHG- 9.3

I placed an Adkustment on the KHG of -0.7 so its closer to Salifert, and will continue to watch.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the videos and things I have read online makes it seem like you can not customize the concentration of the dosing solution. However if you look at the change log of the user manual it mentions a variable to be able to customize the concentration of the dose solution. But I don’t see this option under system setup. Does anyone know the deal with this? Would be much easier to use the same solution I use for the rest of my dosing instead of formulating a second solution.

Anyone know anything about this?

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its under adj KH in the system section you can either + or - figure . What you do after its been up an running set it as
1/ KHG reading 8.5
2/ hanna reading 8.0
3/ salifert reading 8.0
You set the adjust KH to read -0.5 to match the other readings.
The dosing amount of concentration is not a variable 65gms to 1000ml of RO

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralvue setup video and online instructions contradict each other for probe placement. (KH monitor ONLY)

Here is Carlos response on this today.

“The correct position is 1mm from the bottom. The video with half way down the block is for the Controller version only. Not the monitor version.”

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone see this in latest firmware? Seems it would fix many of our issues.

[Feature] Force reverse calibration: please put the KH value you test from 3rd party test kit in REF.KH (dKH) box then
click “ Force reverse calibration” then KHG will reboot itself. KHG will be enforced to accept new KH value. This function is more powerful than ADJ function, that is to say when user use this function the ADJ function will be back to “0” automobile. PLEASE MUST TO REMBER, when KHG last 3 tested KH values are out of range or any ERR message on LCD base on the safety reason KHG will not show this function on system setup page.

Thank you. Is this the only one or is their a separate one for kh momitor?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did anyone see this in latest firmware? Seems it would fix many of our issues.

[Feature] Force reverse calibration: please put the KH value you test from 3rd party test kit in REF.KH (dKH) box then
click “ Force reverse calibration” then KHG will reboot itself. KHG will be enforced to accept new KH value. This function is more powerful than ADJ function, that is to say when user use this function the ADJ function will be back to “0” automobile. PLEASE MUST TO REMBER, when KHG last 3 tested KH values are out of range or any ERR message on LCD base on the safety reason KHG will not show this function on system setup page.

Thank you. Is this the only one or is their a separate one for kh momitor?
This is for both, the pH probe placement is different between the 2 models.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issue with connecting the aim to Neptune apex? When I do the ph calibration on the apex by sending the simulated voltage for ph 7 and then ph 10 the numbers are similar. I get 738 in the calibration window with ph7 and 739 with ph10. I think their should be a much greater difference between the two. Any ideas? Can I check the output voltage with multimeter on the aim BNC connector when I click each to see if it is properly sending correct voltage?

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i remember correctly the pH 10 reading is in the 1000's. So i would venture to guess that there's something wrong with the simulated signal or maybe the pH input on the Apex...?

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i remember correctly the pH 10 reading is in the 1000's. So i would venture to guess that there's something wrong with the simulated signal or maybe the pH input on the Apex...?
Thank you Morpheas. I will try the other input on my apex which has the ph probe on it to see if that works.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back