Kill or Cure?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schgred
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Schgred

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
110
Reaction score
2
Location
Wausau, Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to use about 20 pounds of rock that was previously live but has been sitting in water in a sealed 5 gallon bucket with saltwater in it for the last 6 months. No heater and no flow in the bucket.

So I either have to cure the rock or totally kill everything on it in order for it to be used.

I don't need the living organisms that were on it as there was nothing useful before. I just need more rock and I was planning on buying dry rock instead.

If I don't care about anything living on it as it will regain its life, what would you recommend? Kill it or cure it?
 
I'd just put it in the tank and use it as long as the tank is empty and you're going to cycle it.
 
I'd give it a bleach bath, then cure it, if you plan on putting it in a exsisting tank.
 
If you are giving it a full on bleach bath, wouldn't it make sense to just wash it out as much as possible, bleach it , rinse it thoroughly, let it dry out and then put if in the tank? There wouldn't be anything left to provide ammonia.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new