OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was saying the sump water must smell good because Ellie (The cat) looked like she was sniffing it... not because the water smelled bad the other day because of nutrient issues. Sorry for the confusion if you took that the wrong was @kittenbritches. :)
I assumed it was a joke about the stench. Hahah. The sump has never been smelly, though. I think it was all from the rock wafting out.

Ohhh, I never hit reply. Great! LOL

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does testing look today?
What kits are you using?
This morning I'm at
NH3: 0.25ppm (so no increase from last night)
N02: 0.50ppm (converting that ammonia, baybay)
N03: 20ppm (doubled over night)

We're gonna get through this!

I have both API *gasp* *horror* and Red Sea tests. I have conducted both of them concurrently and get the same results within a very narrow margin every time. Ergo, I go with the easier test until I run out.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pincushion urchins and a peppermint shrimp were delivered this morning. Y'all think I'm okay to acclimate and toss them in, despite my sub-optimal tank chemistry? Otherwise, I've got no place for those poor things to go.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro-tip as I had a Red Sea Reefer 350 for almost two years. The float valve on the ATO can get stuck. They are pretty easy to take apart, so once a month, when I cleaned my other equipment, I would unscrew the float and give it a good soak in citric acid.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro-tip as I had a Red Sea Reefer 350 for almost two years. The float valve on the ATO can get stuck. They are pretty easy to take apart, so once a month, when I cleaned my other equipment, I would unscrew the float and give it a good soak in citric acid.
Thank you! I checked it last night and the top of the pump was dry!! I topped up manually, but need to fiddle with that float. I also set up an ATO for my ATO so I don't have to fuss with pouring water in there. LOL. Now I've just got to make sure that float valve will behave!

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pincushion urchins and a peppermint shrimp were delivered this morning. Y'all think I'm okay to acclimate and toss them in, despite my sub-optimal tank chemistry? Otherwise, I've got no place for those poor things to go.
I would say so. Maybe add a bit of tank water throughout the acclimation process, just so they can get used to the water. Peppermints and urchins are usually hardy.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say so. Maybe add a bit of tank water throughout the acclimation process, just so they can get used to the water. Peppermints and urchins are usually hardy.
I'm going to drip acclimate them for sure. They're floating next to my skimmer at the moment. I need to find my drip lines in all of the chaos that I *still* haven't cleaned up.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not see a kitten reply.

Yes, it's real!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I'm at
NH3: 0.25ppm (so no increase from last night)
N02: 0.50ppm (converting that ammonia, baybay)
N03: 20ppm (doubled over night)

We're gonna get through this!

I have both API *gasp* *horror* and Red Sea tests. I have conducted both of them concurrently and get the same results within a very narrow margin every time. Ergo, I go with the easier test until I run out.
Right on. To be real I doubt your color test kits are giving true to life readings on ammonia either way. What API shows as dark green, most seneye pick up as concentrations in the hundredths if not thousands.
That being said and long story short I highly doubt whatever concentrations you are picking up are actually toxic or could be considered harmful to your livestock:)

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank inhabitants day!

Brittle star (tiger serpent) pretending he doesn't exist.
959AFA6E-A715-4B92-B00E-A9DED41274C6.jpeg

Demonstration of my lack of impulse control. Haha. I did get a couple of granola bars and that gorgeous bubble bath yuma out of the deal! <3
2845AC1C-BAF8-4469-BAC3-074798EE3DB2.jpeg

When this fella wakes up, he'll be a green and purple tipped hammer.
D7C50EAB-8F2D-41E6-AE96-BDBB36A09A30.jpeg

And miracle of miracles — fish that swim around and are encouraging my dottyback to do the same. Now if only we could get my practically non-existent YWG to leave his cave.
I really like the swim throughs...I'm both looking forward to and dreading the aquascaping.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. To be real I doubt your color test kits are giving true to life readings on ammonia either way. What API shows as dark green, most seneye pick up as concentrations in the hundredths if not thousands.
That being said and long story short I highly doubt whatever concentrations you are picking up are actually toxic or could be considered harmful to your livestock:)
Yeah, the fish all seem pretty normal. They're swimming around more and happier than they were in my previous tank. I'll still continue to monitor and dose until things are back to "normal" for me, and am sure it will happen quickly! I'm so glad it's not as bad as it could have been. And that my living room doesn't smell like death!! Haha

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew ! I’m all caught up ! Sorry about the leak that stinks! Also saw you had an ice cream sandwich for dinner ? I say dinner for champions and then I saw many boxes on porches , a 12 step program for coral buying ? Alright now time to read @fishguy242 entire thread

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew ! I’m all caught up ! Sorry about the leak that stinks! Also saw you had an ice cream sandwich for dinner ? I say dinner for champions and then I saw many boxes on porches , a 12 step program for coral buying ? Alright now time to read @fishguy242 entire thread
Quit distracting the man, He still got a table that's not set up after 4 months.

season 4 hide GIF by The Next Step

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So...the porch boxes were actually equipment. I haven't ordered corals since...the last ReefTide live sale (I think). I may have a thing or two I order, but otherwise, I'm gonna stay put and let the grundle of corals that I purchased mature and grow in and look amazing. :)

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, as an elderly woman, I'm allowed to eat ice cream for dinner!

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...the porch boxes were actually equipment. I haven't ordered corals since...the last ReefTide live sale (I think). I may have a thing or two I order, but otherwise, I'm gonna stay put and let the grundle of corals that I purchased mature and grow in and look amazing. :)
I’m always tempted to buy so many more my lfs is gonna have a sale on golden torch corals soon !

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we've heard this before.... :p

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back